• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

usb 2.0 problem

Started by michaelr, December 04, 2011, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelr

Hoping you can help with a small problem.
I have a simple tech kiwi 250 GB portable hard drive that will not recognize USB 2.0
every PC/laptop I plug it into I get the message that "this device can perform faster if plugged into usb 2.0 port.
all of our laptops are newer running windows 7, and all support USB 2.0.
It seems to work ok, it is just slow, very slow.

Thanks in advance
Mike.

humbert

Quote from: michaelr on December 04, 2011, 10:20 PM
I have a simple tech kiwi 250 GB portable hard drive that will not recognize USB 2.0
every PC/laptop I plug it into I get the message that "this device can perform faster if plugged into usb 2.0 port.

I had a similar problem with a portable HD on my computer, but the problem was I had it plugged into those USB ports which are at the very top, i.e., the ones where you usually plug in the keyboard and mouse. Then it occurred to me to change the drive to another port and voila!, problem solved. In your case, however, not only have you tried different ports but different computers and are getting the same result, so there is no question the drive is the problem. Since these things are essentially non-repairable, I think the only solution is to replace it. If you can afford $89.99, go to Costco and pick up a 750 GB USB 3.0 portable drive. They don't even make 250 GB removables any more.

Ahmad

Quote from: michaelr on December 04, 2011, 10:20 PM

Thanks in advance
Mike.
Hello michaelr,
May be the cable is corrupted - Get a new cable. It happened to me and the cause was that.
May be other.. I just want to share my experience and help.
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.