• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Business Name

Started by katana, June 16, 2012, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on July 13, 2012, 10:58 AM
Wow, never thought about this. Here we have keyboard with two languages, with russian chars and english chars. QWERTY after Alt+Shift is ЙЦУКЕН. To use this codepage, we installs Russian codepage when Windows setting up. Also we install russian codepage for non-unicode programms in "Regional and Language settings" (It's Windows-1251, as I remember). So question of using Alt+xxx-combos never rised.
Anyway, this forum engine uses Unicode so displaying non-latin symbols will not be a problem.
To your question - I think, if you want to use non-Latin symbols on Latin-only keyboard, forget  about Alt-combos. You will tire to type this numbers. Maybe you should use sort of on-screen keyboard?

I too can easily add Russian (or anything) to my languages and change them with Alt-LeftShift (as I've done with Spanish). The problem is that in order to type very few characters, there's simply no justification for adding another language. Every now and then when I need a high character, I use the Alt-keypad combination or, if higher than FF(h) go the hard way and use Windows character set. This is a real pain because you have to look the character up then copy and paste it. Naturally when it's several characters it becomes a real pain. What I'd like to know is if there's some way to type in characters higher than FF(h).

As for the on-screen keyboard, mine only shows the standard English keyboard with nothing 128(d) and higher. If you know a way to change its alphabet, I'm listening :).

katana

Quote from: Daniil on July 06, 2012, 01:21 PM
"If you give the yacht a good name, it will do well"  ;D)

Yes. I believe in that, too! Sometimes, it helps attract customers to do business with you which they wouldn't do if at, one glance, all they see is a signboard with an unfortunate name.  ::)

QuoteHow about
Katana IT Support Service
K.I.S.S. for short.  ;D

This is a really cool one, Daniil! It sure will attract attention... :D Thanx!
I'm a WOMAN. Like a man but with a WO. Important distinction that. Can be misunderstood if not made properly.

Daniil

@katana
Glad to give you an idea. :)
Yes, a "brand name" in business is very important. It must be attractive, especially if you works in services sphere. Sometimes, as I heared, attractiveness can be achived by using short and strange or "hard to explain" names. For example, if you using a well-sounding but difficulty explaining abbreviation.

You know, it is a kind of psychologic trick. Humans understands words "by habit". In a brains there is many stable word concatenations. (Don't know, is the "concatenation" the correct word? In Russian I mean "связка" (svyazska), it means "knot" or "bundle" - bundle of words, some words, which very often following one another). So, if you can find a right word concatenation closely by meaning to your business type, peoples will subconsciously find your buisness and became you customers - just because you have a correct psychological signal to them.
An other way is to use unexplaining names. With correct advertising you can create new stable concatenation and peoples will remember your brand very well. For example - "MMM", the russian financial pyramid of early 90-th. Even now noone can explain what means "MMM". But there was crazy agiotage around it.

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on July 15, 2012, 07:04 AM
I too can easily add Russian (or anything) to my languages and change them with Alt-LeftShift (as I've done with Spanish). The problem is that in order to type very few characters, there's simply no justification for adding another language. Every now and then when I need a high character, I use the Alt-keypad combination or, if higher than FF(h) go the hard way and use Windows character set. This is a real pain because you have to look the character up then copy and paste it. Naturally when it's several characters it becomes a real pain. What I'd like to know is if there's some way to type in characters higher than FF(h).

As for the on-screen keyboard, mine only shows the standard English keyboard with nothing 128(d) and higher. If you know a way to change its alphabet, I'm listening :).
Hm. Ctrl+Shift or Alt+Shift not helps? As I remember, after Alt+Shift in Windows XP vk changed language.  If no, maybe you can try to use the third party keyboards? For example, from here: On_Screen_Keyboard_Magic

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on July 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
Hm. Ctrl+Shift or Alt+Shift not helps? As I remember, after Alt+Shift in Windows XP vk changed language.  If no, maybe you can try to use the third party keyboards? For example, from here: On_Screen_Keyboard_Magic

Did you say Ctrl-Shift Home? I'm not familiar with that combination. I do know that Alt-LeftShift will toggle the keyboards you have installed on your system. In my case I have English as default and Spanish as secondary. If I need to type something in SP, I simply do Alt-LeftShift and toggle back and forth as needed - the only thing is to memorize the keyboard position of those characters that don't exist in English. Surely you have a similar system on your keyboard.

As you correctly explained, the site supports unicode which is why all characters can be seen. I'm noticing there are numerous character sets and that those that are typeable using the Alt-0xxx combination seem to be supported just by Windows (it won't work in Linux). I looked at the chart I downloaded and noticed this. For example, the euro (€) can be typed using Alt-0128, but it's unicode number is 20AC(h). This is truly confusing.

As for the on-screen keyboards, the one you pointed out has no non-latin characters on it, and seem to be targeted at those people who don't have full use of their hands for typing and can barely use a mouse. I remember back in the days before XP, I used a (I can't remember the name) which had a small keyboard on the screen, but the great thing about it was that it supported a bunch of languages and with a single click you could momentarily change to [for example] a Russian keyboard. The best thing was that on the small window it showed exactly where the characters were, so no hunting around. Sadly it didn't support XP and I never saw anything like it again. :(

Before I forget, I think you said you have a computer business in St Petersburg. What kind of products or services do you provide your customers? And one more thing - were you born in St Petersburg, or in Leningrad?? What does your birth certificate say as far as place of birth?

katana

Quote from: Daniil on July 19, 2012, 07:17 PM
@katana
Glad to give you an idea. :)
Yes, a "brand name" in business is very important. It must be attractive, especially if you works in services sphere. Sometimes, as I heared, attractiveness can be achived by using short and strange or "hard to explain" names. For example, if you using a well-sounding but difficulty explaining abbreviation.

You know, it is a kind of psychologic trick. Humans understands words "by habit". In a brains there is many stable word concatenations. (Don't know, is the "concatenation" the correct word? In Russian I mean "связка" (svyazska), it means "knot" or "bundle" - bundle of words, some words, which very often following one another). So, if you can find a right word concatenation closely by meaning to your business type, peoples will subconsciously find your buisness and became you customers - just because you have a correct psychological signal to them.
An other way is to use unexplaining names. With correct advertising you can create new stable concatenation and peoples will remember your brand very well. For example - "MMM", the russian financial pyramid of early 90-th. Even now noone can explain what means "MMM". But there was crazy agiotage around it.

Thank you! I find I'm learning a lot in advertising from you. As a regular person, attractive advertising is what pulls me first to try a certain brand & if it is of quality condition or the service offered is good, then I become a patron.

связка or svyazska. If it's a bundle of words you might mean compound word but if it has a psychological signal to people then I think connotation is the right word for it...  ;)  And you're right! If people associates in an emotional or cultural level with a brand's name in a positive way, they will probably flock to investigate what it's all about and it can only be good for business, right?

You've given me brilliant ideas, buddy! If only I know how to draw. I'd make a logo of your suggested name myself!
I'm a WOMAN. Like a man but with a WO. Important distinction that. Can be misunderstood if not made properly.

Daniil

Quote from: katana on July 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
Thank you! I find I'm learning a lot in advertising from you. As a regular person, attractive advertising is what pulls me first to try a certain brand & if it is of quality condition or the service offered is good, then I become a patron.

связка or svyazska. If it's a bundle of words you might mean compound word but if it has a psychological signal to people then I think connotation is the right word for it...  ;)  And you're right! If people associates in an emotional or cultural level with a brand's name in a positive way, they will probably flock to investigate what it's all about and it can only be good for business, right?

You've given me brilliant ideas, buddy! If only I know how to draw. I'd make a logo of your suggested name myself!
Hm-hm-hm... As I think, most accurate translating may be "a connotation of sequence of words". Well, if the word sequence "Wine and bed, and candles, and silk underwear, and big men's arms", then connotation (implication, as Google Translator suggests) in brain will be "sex sex sex!!!".  Against "Difficult, high frequency, 'NIX, memory, ssh, protocols, firewall" ==> "Server". Well, you understand me. The mission of good brand name is to hit in connotation like i showed before, or make a new connotation. Like "ASUS Technologies Inc." <== "wide range of motherboards, good videocards, interesting cooling systems, mainstream parts good for overclock..."

Try to use Google SketchUp. Year ago it helped me to create interesting collage for advertising booklet.

Update
@humbert
No, "Hm" - means that I'm surprised.  :)
Well, buddy... As I can understand, you want have an opportunity (against, don't know is that right word in this context?) to type an a Cyrillic symbols on your PC?
I don't know exactly, how to help you, maybe in you version of Windows is some regional restrictions
But in my Win7 default OnScreen Keyb have both languages and both symbol packs. So, maybe you should set up your Windows like you are in Russia? For this:
1) download Rus Language pack by WinUpdate
2) You will have in your system 3 languages, English, Spain, and Russian.
3) After restart, set up settings for language change in ControlPanel=>Region And Language
Then, when you starts OnScreenKeyboard, you will have keyboard with Cyrillic symbols.

Update:
Oh damn!  ??? It may be difficult with OnScreenKB... On windows desktop it correctly changing locale... But in browser, or even in Word it don't want to change it!... :o  ???

katana

Quote from: Daniil on July 20, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hm-hm-hm... As I think, most accurate translating may be "a connotation of sequence of words". Well, if the word sequence "Wine and bed, and candles, and silk underwear, and big men's arms", then connotation (implication, as Google Translator suggests) in brain will be "sex sex sex!!!". 

LOL I say that's a good analogy, my friend! :D But I get what you mean, it's like when you think of a certain brand, you instantly connect it with it's products or services. Yeah, it really works! This has been very educational. Thanx!

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on July 20, 2012, 05:30 AM
Before I forget, I think you said you have a computer business in St Petersburg. What kind of products or services do you provide your customers? And one more thing - were you born in St Petersburg, or in Leningrad?? What does your birth certificate say as far as place of birth?
I provide computer reparing, consulting in selecting hardware parts, creating an specific, non standart PCs (like an WebTV PC, placing at kitchen embedded into a door of cupboard, or gaming PCs with modded cases), creating SOHO networks (wired, and WiFi as well) and so on.
Yes, your suspicions are correct. :) Before 1992 St.Petersburg was Leningrad, and my place of birth in documents is Leningrad. :)  There is a story about "place of birth" entry - in fact I was born in Ismail, at Ukraine (well, at that time Ukraine Republic of USSR). My parents are from St.Petersburg, but mother went to Ukraine (to relatives) at that time, because, as she said, at Ukraine is better climate for kids. Well, maybe she was right, but that's not an object. The main thing is that in documents a birth place was writed as "Leningrad". Because in Soviet Union if you are not born in Leningrad, you was not allow to live here except if you came there to study, or if you married with someone from Leningrad, or was sent by Party to work in Leningrad.  ;D
Today (thanks God) it is not like this, but parts of that system stay as it was. You can go to any city of the country, but you must register there if you want to work. Registration procedure is long and difficult, and it is very annoying.

And where are you from, Humbert? :) As I can understand from forum topics, you are from Cuba (Yeah, Vivan los Che! Vivan los Isle of Revolution!)  ;)

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on July 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
I provide computer reparing, consulting in selecting hardware parts, creating an specific, non standart PCs (like an WebTV PC, placing at kitchen embedded into a door of cupboard, or gaming PCs with modded cases), creating SOHO networks (wired, and WiFi as well) and so on.

Very interesting! You're a real geek then. Did you learn everything you know on your own or did you go to a school? BTW, let me ask you something - are you familiar with Linux or know anyone who is?

Yes, your suspicions are correct. :) Before 1992 St.Petersburg was Leningrad, and my place of birth in documents is Leningrad. :)  There is a story about "place of birth" entry - in fact I was born in Ismail, at Ukraine (well, at that time Ukraine Republic of USSR). My parents are from St.Petersburg, but mother went to Ukraine (to relatives) at that time, because, as she said, at Ukraine is better climate for kids. Well, maybe she was right, but that's not an object. The main thing is that in documents a birth place was writed as "Leningrad". Because in Soviet Union if you are not born in Leningrad, you was not allow to live here except if you came there to study, or if you married with someone from Leningrad, or was sent by Party to work in Leningrad.  ;D
Today (thanks God) it is not like this, but parts of that system stay as it was. You can go to any city of the country, but you must register there if you want to work. Registration procedure is long and difficult, and it is very annoying.

This is very interesting! For a second there I thought you were actually Ukranian, but no, clearly you are 100% Russian. When your mom said Ukraine offered a "better climate for kids", was she referring to the physical climate (e.g., not as cold) or another reason? Do you speak Ukrainian? Do they also use the Cyrillic alphabet?

And where are you from, Humbert? :) As I can understand from forum topics, you are from Cuba (Yeah, Vivan los Che! Vivan los Isle of Revolution!)  ;)

That's correct. I was a very small child when Castro came to power. My father was an official in the government that preceeded him, so we had to run to Miami until the day Castro was overthrown. Sadly, history didn't favor us. I lived Miami until last year that I was finally able to sell my house and move to San Antonio (Texas) where I'm living now. I relocated because I just hate Miami. San Antonio is smaller, less crime infested and the people are much more friendly. Although it's nowhere near as cold as anywhere in Russia, it's much less tropical than Miami. Just to give you an idea, it's the first time in my life that I lived in a place where leaves actually fall from trees during autumn and grow again in spring. Also, I haven't seen any lizards here yet -- in Miami, those little lizards (about 6 cm long) are everywhere, and often you'll find them crawling on the wall inside your house.