• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Need peoples opinions/help :D

Started by Shadow.97, September 18, 2012, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Well, im sitting here right now with 2 computers, and i want to sync the monitors/mouse/keyboards, just like if you have 1 computer with 2 monitors, but i want the performance still from the other computer to that monitor.
Is this possible?
Has it been done?
If not, will it be Extremely hard to do?
Will you be able to use LAN to make it look like another monitor but still being able to use the processing power?

Daniil

It is possible, but with big troubles and results will be not so effective as you want,  comrade. I tried to create such thing to increase power of my PCs, but it is very difficult, and here is no straight and simple solution.

There is some ways to do this, but all of them are a bit... weird.  :)

First way - you can connect other monitor to your main PC, on second PC you can install some kind of Remote Desktop solution (there is a lot of them), connect to remote desktop pf your "slave" PC and drag the window with remote desktop to your second monitor.

Second way - I can't remember name of project exactly, but there was a project kinda software KWM. I.e., you installing server of that prog on "slave"-PC, then you installing client of that prog on master-PC, tuning prog up, and then you are able to move mouse cursor over both desktops from one to another "transparently". But, as I remember, that prog was slowly and glitchy. I repeat, I can't remember its name, but "Use Google, Luke, it helpful may be you for".  ;D

And the third way - the way of really true, no, ЯEALLY ТРЮЪ PC geeks - is to set up a high-speed computing cluster. So, you need get Linux, get one of Beowulf сluster or MOSIX cluster core patch, build Linux, apply that patch, rebuild the core, install main node, install Linux slave nodes, connect them via 1Gb LAN, and you'll get garage supercomputer with power, limited only with count of nodes and LAN transfer rate. And, yes, it can't be used for games or any Windows apps. Sad but true.  :D

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 18, 2012, 05:17 PM
Well, im sitting here right now with 2 computers, and i want to sync the monitors/mouse/keyboards, just like if you have 1 computer with 2 monitors, but i want the performance still from the other computer to that monitor.
Is this possible?
Has it been done?
Will you be able to use LAN to make it look like another monitor but still being able to use the processing power?

Let me see if I understand you. You've got 2 computers and you want to use the same monitor, keyboard and mouse on both, switching back and forth from both computers? If that's the case a KVM switch is pretty much all you need. They sell them everywhere, Google and you'll see.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on September 20, 2012, 04:36 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 18, 2012, 05:17 PM
Is this possible?
Has it been done?

Let me see if I understand you. You've got 2 computers and you want to use the same monitor, keyboard and mouse on both, switching back and forth from both computers? If that's the case a KVM switch is pretty much all you need. They sell them everywhere, Google and you'll see.
nono! 2 monitors, but only 1 pair of keyboard/mouse :p like, if i drag a program from one screen to the other the other pc takes over the process and the main pc will not be using as much processing power.. kind of hard to explain really.. Try checking attachment, i tried to make things more clear..

Daniil

If you want to use power of second PC to transfer there applications transparently, your choice is cluster system, nothing else. But, as I said in previous post, in SOHO applications this cause more headache, than effectivness.