• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 8 Support

Started by humbert, August 07, 2012, 04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maher

Quote from: humbert on August 26, 2012, 06:44 AM
Yes, I'm seeing you and Nawab are giving it very good reviews, which will prompt me to take the plunge a little sooner than anticipated. Just a few more questions - is any tile removable (or unpinnable) from the Metro interface, or are there some you can't remove? Can you remove your name in the upper right hand corner?

Was this a clean install or could you simply install it over 7 and keep the apps and configuration preferences?
Tiles are Apps for the modern user interface (Metro). You can edit/remove any tile! They have 2 sizes. They can be unpinned from Start or completely uninstalled from computer if you're not planning to use them at all.

An account on Windows 8 has 2 optins, you can use online Microsoft account (any e-mail @msn.com, @hotmail.com or @outlook.com) or you can use a local account (just like in Windows 7).
If you use your online account it will show the full name in your account. If local account it will show your username.

I checked the site. This is only for those people who a few months ago bought a PC with Win7 preloaded (not my situation). Oh, and what difference is there between an MSDN copy and one which doesn't have that acronym on it?

I'll take you up on your advice and wait until 26/10 to upgrade.
Well, actually the MSDN copy is the same as the retail copy.
They say MSDN to refer that i was downloaded from MSDN, and therfore it means it's the original Microsoft ISO.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSDN
Please, DO NOT send messages for support! Ask on the forums. Thank you.

http://maherz.softarchive.net/

Monotoko

I checked the site. This is only for those people who a few months ago bought a PC with Win7 preloaded (not my situation). Oh, and what difference is there between an MSDN copy and one which doesn't have that acronym on it?

I'll take you up on your advice and wait until 26/10 to upgrade.

My sign up on there was a success, it only asks for your make and model of your PC and the date you bought it (which you can make up ;)) - there doesn't appear to be any actual verification.

humbert

Quote from: Monotoko on August 26, 2012, 11:38 PM
My sign up on there was a success, it only asks for your make and model of your PC and the date you bought it (which you can make up ;)) - there doesn't appear to be any actual verification.

You're right. I just did the same thing and I got a confirmation with a number and everything. It still seems a little wierd, though -- well, not really when you consider that Micro$haft's strategy since day one is to have Windoze on as many computers as possible, regardless of how they got there. Let's see what happens. BTW, on how many computers does the key they give you work? What happens if you ugrade your system or for whatever reason  need to reformat?

Not surprisingly, to do all this I had to use their cheap crap excuse of a browser (a.k.a., Internet Explorer). I hate it with a passion! Their site just gave me error messages with Firefox.

Incidentally, despite what I wrote above there is still no certainty this will go through. Accordingly, based on Nawab and the Chief's great reviews, I want to go ahead and install 8 ahead of time. Can anyone tell me:

a) Can any version of 8 be simply installed over 7 without having to do a fresh install? I remember when I upgraded from XP to 7-64, the only thing that worked was a fresh.

b) I'm seeing there's an MSDN version. What difference is there between it and regular Pro or Enterprise? I looked up the acronym but it doesn't tell me much of anything.

I guess I'll have to check with full-packs.com for a non-banned serial number, or maybe even a KMS server that's not down. I know for certain that someday there'll be another Daz loader for 8, but we're not there just yet.

BLADESHARK

Did any1 find activation for Windows 8 :P :P
I am in dire need :'(
�There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.�

The Nawab

لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله

There Is No God But Allah And Muhammad Is The Messenger Of Allah

The Nawab

Sorry. Had To Hide My Name ;D

humbert

@Blade - if you think Win-8 is worth it, is it possible for you to order it for $14.99 and avoid this headache of KMS servers being down or  blacklisted serial numbers? If not or in the mean time, check out what's on full-packs.com, these guys have updated info on Win-8 and its activations.

@Nawab - before even checking out the activation thing, please let me know what flavor of Win-8 you installed and if you were able to install it over Win-7 without having to reformat. I think this isn't possible with Enterprise, only with Pro. In the event you didn't do a fresh install, did you boot from CD (or USB flashdrive) or did you simply run the setup.exe file from Win-7?

I don't fully understand what difference there is between the MSDN version and the one without the acronym.

The Nawab

It's The Enterprise Version. Yeah. I Had To Re-Format My Computer. As I Believe A Fresh/New/Clean Install Is Good For Windows. I Tried Both, The USB And The DVD. Once With Professional I Used A USB, It Was A Success. Just Removed Professional Because Phone Activation Wasn't Working On That. And Then I Burned A DVD Disc For Enterprise. There Is No Difference Between The MSDN Version And The WZOR's Leaked Version.

Maher

Quote from: BLADESHARK on August 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
Did any1 find activation for Windows 8 :P :P
I am in dire need :'(
Me and Nawab are already using an activated version of Windows 8 :)
Please, DO NOT send messages for support! Ask on the forums. Thank you.

http://maherz.softarchive.net/

The Nawab

All Thanks Goes To Maher For Letting Us Know The Phone Activation Method :D