• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What's Your Browser?

Started by The Nawab, August 13, 2012, 04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniil

Lol!  ;D
I read opposite women sayings, that circumcised guys looks like something is missing...  ;D Also, it's cold! ;D
(Didn't want to hurt or miff anyone...)

humbert

I started playing around with Google Chrome (v58+) and, after familiarizing myself with it and the available addons, I now believe it's better than Firefox and I've made it my primary browser. It's lightning fast as well as highly configurable. Let me address the issues I myself posted a while ago.

Quote from: humbert on November 23, 2012, 05:21 AM
1) Is there any way to get Chrome to reuse the same tab as opposed to constantly opening new tabs for every click?

Not directly but there's an addon called "Open Link in Same Tab" that takes care of the problem. Another addon called "Tab Activate" makes sure new tabs go directly into the foreground and not left in the background as is the case with the default setting.

2) Is there a way to make what Google calls the "Incongito mode" permanent as opposed to doing it individually per tab? To put the question another way, is there a setting as in Firefox where you can simply enable private browsing and keep it that way?

Yes and no. Editing the shortcut to say "C:\....\chrome.exe -incognito" will start the browser in the incognito mode. All new tabs are incognito too. What I haven't been able to do is to open a link in incongnito unless I copy and paste it. In a second you'll see that this is not really an issue.

3) Is there a way to use this thing without having to open a Google account nor create a situation where they can keep meticulous records of everything you do on their servers? In my case I find it unimaginable for Google to have detailed records not only of all the pr0n sites I've been to, but what my tastes are.

You don't need a Google account to use it and all sync can be totally disabled. There is an addon called "Click 'n Clean" which blows away all stored data, history, cookies and cache the moment you close the browser. If fact, it's not even necessary to close the browser to take out the garbage. Simply clicking the icon on the taskbar does the job.

Frankly this thing is great. If you're curious I invite you to download a portable version and play around with it. If you're not convinced, simply remove the folder - no harm, no foul. If your copy of Windows is x64 then get the 64bit version. I don't know if that's available in portable but it's definitely available for the full version. I use it.

Vasudev

I'm sticking with FF x64bit. Don't really like Google Chrome because its memory hog. Sure, each tab has separate memory and a process, but I don't like it.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 08, 2017, 08:59 PM
I'm sticking with FF x64bit. Don't really like Google Chrome because its memory hog. Sure, each tab has separate memory and a process, but I don't like it.

How much ram do you have in your system?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 10, 2017, 05:41 AM

How much ram do you have in your system?
One has 16 GB and another has 6GB.

humbert

It's understandable that you don't like Chrome. However, running it on the 16GB Ram computer is no problem when it comes to being Chrome being memory hog. Firefox also eats plenty of memory. Just to run a test I opened up both Firefox and Chrome at the same time, plus a few smaller programs. Windows task manager reports 7.2 GB of Ram being used, the rest is free.

Even on the 6 GB computer a memory hogging program is no problem, just don't run stuff in the background.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 13, 2017, 06:56 AM

It's understandable that you don't like Chrome. However, running it on the 16GB Ram computer is no problem when it comes to being Chrome being memory hog. Firefox also eats plenty of memory. Just to run a test I opened up both Firefox and Chrome at the same time, plus a few smaller programs. Windows task manager reports 7.2 GB of Ram being used, the rest is free.

Even on the 6 GB computer a memory hogging program is no problem, just don't run stuff in the background.
Memory is not a problem, but Chrome needs more CPU cycles than firefox (With all add-ons). I got used to FF so much. How's chrome these days, I tried version 35 and everything got hung up. Even uninstalling it is a hassle.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 13, 2017, 08:32 AM
Memory is not a problem, but Chrome needs more CPU cycles than firefox (With all add-ons). I got used to FF so much. How's chrome these days, I tried version 35 and everything got hung up. Even uninstalling it is a hassle.

Precisely why when I first tested this thing I used a portable version. I only went to the real thing because I could not find a portable x64 version. 64bit is essential because this thing eats more than the 4GB limit on x86.

What CPU is on your 16GB ram computer?

With respect to uninstallation, sadly Chrome isn't the only program where a complete uninstall is next to impossible. Many more are like that. Parts of the program goes to the main folder. Others end up somewhere in the Users directory or elsewhere, usually buried 10 levels deep. The rest is scattered all over the registry. Even very thorough uninstalling programs such as Revo or Total Uninstall usually don't get absolutely everything. If I were the dictator of this planet, I would order developers to put every part of the program into a single folder where it can be conveniently moved or uninstalled - under penalty of death  :).

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 14, 2017, 03:14 AM
What CPU is on your 16GB ram computer?
i7 6700HQ. I didn't run Chrome on this PC. I ran chrome on older Pentium 2020M with 6GB of RAM. In fact, I tried Chromium on Linux, although it was slick, the GUI was laggy most of the times, so I switched to FF agin and never turned back.
On my new PC, everything's smooth enough thanks to NVMe SSD.
With respect to uninstallation, sadly Chrome isn't the only program where a complete uninstall is next to impossible. Many more are like that. Parts of the program goes to the main folder. Others end up somewhere in the Users directory or elsewhere, usually buried 10 levels deep. The rest is scattered all over the registry. Even very thorough uninstalling programs such as Revo or Total Uninstall usually don't get absolutely everything. If I were the dictator of this planet, I would order developers to put every part of the program into a single folder where it can be conveniently moved or uninstalled - under penalty of death  :).
Nice  :)

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 14, 2017, 08:00 AM
i7 6700HQ. I didn't run Chrome on this PC. I ran chrome on older Pentium 2020M with 6GB of RAM. In fact, I tried Chromium on Linux, although it was slick, the GUI was laggy most of the times, so I switched to FF agin and never turned back.
On my new PC, everything's smooth enough thanks to NVMe SSD.

I can understand not liking Chrome (or anything else). We all have our tastes. With your system the concept of a program hogging too much memory or CPU cycles is meaningless. Your lappy can flawlessly run anything you throw at it. Mine is 16GB - 17 4710HQ and it runs Chrome and games like a bullet. Obviously this would not be the case with the ancient Pentium 2020M. Remember the reason we spend our money on high end systems is so we can easily run resource-intensive programs.

Just right now I took a look at my Android phone and found about 4 folders that belong to programs I uninstalled. I had to delete them manually because uninstalling the program won't do it. Imagine the amount of raw sewage that non-nerds must have on their systems! All the more reason to execute developers whose uninstall scripts purposely leave data behind.