• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What games are you playing?

Started by aa1234779, October 27, 2012, 12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

@Shadow - why would you run out and buy a top-of-the-line video card knowing full well you were going to have a mismatch with your current CPU?

So basically when running multiple monitors, your best bet is to have them the same size, or at least the same height? Also, for games preferably use 3 keep the crosshairs in the middle? Do you get good side views on 3 monitors?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on November 20, 2013, 08:15 PM
@Shadow - why would you run out and buy a top-of-the-line video card knowing full well you were going to have a mismatch with your current CPU?

So basically when running multiple monitors, your best bet is to have them the same size, or at least the same height? Also, for games preferably use 3 keep the crosshairs in the middle? Do you get good side views on 3 monitors?
Planning to upgrade CPU soon, but it still almost maxes out everything so I'm happy.

Also, yes, it's the best, but you can place the monitors sideways, so that they are portrait to get same resolution/size.
Yeah, if you got 3 monitors it's in the middle.

humbert

@Shadow - I'm curious about something if you don't mind telling us. The video card you bought is expensive. I'm pretty sure the CPU you're planning to get isn't cheap either. We're talking some heavy money. Given your chronological age and the fact that you're in high school, do you work? How do you manage to pay for all this?

If you think the question is a little too personal, OK, I respect that. Pls accept my apologies for asking. My curiosity got the best of me.

scarface

Past attacks is a new mod for farcry, quite original:
http://crymods.net/e107_files/downloads/PastAttacksEP1.exe

Daniil

Hello, guys!
Working as an employee has its specific profits, unlike the business - you have a time for your hobby. :) Before the beginning of the session in the university and while it's cold and windy out at street, I spent this day playing modded ArmA Cold War Assault (ex Operation Flashpoint).
It's my own "mod", mixed from many mods for this great game. A background is, well... Somewhere in the Baltic Sea there is four islands, and on this isles from time to time ignites a wars. There was a local war between USA and USSR (it was described in default campagin of Operation Flashpoint) on isles, now there is a local war between USSR and Imperium from Warhammer40k universe.
(Yes, I'm crasy, I know. ;D But I like a WH40k game series, and there is a WH40k mod for Operation Flashpoint, and I like Operation Flashpoint and I'm interested in military history of my country, in specific, military history of late-USSR period, so-o-o-o-o...)

humbert

@Daniil - you who like military games, I think there's one out there called America's Army. The US military uses it to train soldiers and, I believe, is a free download. Check it out at http://americasarmy.com. As you correctly said, war is war, but in this one the Commies are the good guys or what?

The one you posted pictures about is basically a first person shooter, right? It's not like Starcraft where you are basically a general commanding an army but not part of it.

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on January 13, 2014, 06:01 AM
@Daniil - you who like military games, I think there's one out there called America's Army. The US military uses it to train soldiers and, I believe, is a free download. Check it out at http://americasarmy.com.
Already. That's a good shooter, and for a time we with friends played it (about 3-4 years ago). But it's much simplier than OFp/ArmA series. It's too... shooter. (But it is very good propaganda, there isn't shown grim sides of war, such as suspense, indeterminacy and so on. There is mostly acts of bravery, shown very tasty.)

Quote from: humbert on January 13, 2014, 06:01 AM
As you correctly said, war is war, but in this one the Commies are the good guys or what?

The one you posted pictures about is basically a first person shooter, right? It's not like Starcraft where you are basically a general commanding an army but not part of it.
Things are more difficult and complex, comrade. :) In fact, here is no "good side" or "bad side", there is East and West sides. So it's relative from mission to mission. In default campaign (so called "Cold War Crysis" the bad guys is communist renegades, betrayed the USSR and engaged the islands in the north Europe). In user created campaigns the bad guys variations is outnumbered - from Confederates (from US Civil war) to Empire from StarWars (it's mad but for OFp exists also the StarWars mod, yes. :) )
It is, at the first glance, a first person shooter, yes, but in fact you are able to command 12 units in your squad, and command other squads over the radio, travel around big (12x12 km) islands, also you are able to drive a cars, APCs, tanks, fly on choppers and planes, creating you own missions and planning a large military operations.

That is because the Operation Flashpoint (other name - Armed Assault) isn't just a shooter (like an America's Army). It is full-scale military simulator, created in two versions - one for a private users, and one for NATO as a combat simulator for training junior officers and special forces. Military version is called VBS (Virtual battlespace) or JCOVE for operators in Europe. You can download official british version of JCOVE Lite (for free) here. Civilian version called Operation Flashpoint (also called Armed Assault 1. There also exists ArmA 2 and 3).  Differences between the versions are very small - military version has much better (correct) models, some additional commands for AI and special security for save classified content.

humbert

@Daniil - we have a slight misunderstanding. Here in America, "good guys" means you, "bad guys" means the enemy. That's all, nothing more.  :)  This could be in a game or in real war, it doesn't really matter.

It makes perfect sense that America's Army glorifies war and plays down the many other grim consequences. If you use it to train soldiers you can never mention the bad things in war. Who will want to fight if you do? And of course, if a government wrote it, you can believe it'll be full of propaganda.

There is no question that many of these games are useful for training military officers, and possibly soldiers of lesser rank.

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on January 18, 2014, 04:49 AM
@Daniil - we have a slight misunderstanding. Here in America, "good guys" means you, "bad guys" means the enemy. That's all, nothing more.  :)  This could be in a game or in real war, it doesn't really matter.
Oh, you're right, comrade Humbert, now I understand you. :) I was under the influence of Hollywood stamps - in most of US movies shown here, "good guys" means in most cases US, and "bad guys"==="communists (mostly russians)". I thought, that in US it's an identical concepts. ;D

It makes perfect sense that America's Army glorifies war and plays down the many other grim consequences. If you use it to train soldiers you can never mention the bad things in war. Who will want to fight if you do? And of course, if a government wrote it, you can believe it'll be full of propaganda.
That's relative, comrade. There's may be a mistake. Soldiers must be trained not only to run and shoot well, but also for psichological thoughness, to endure the privation of war. All of us here (in ex-Warzsaw Pact countries) raised in such doctrine. Chzech game developers well passed it in the OFp.

There is no question that many of these games are useful for training military officers, and possibly soldiers of lesser rank.
I think that it's mostly for officers. Soldiers must trained firstly physically, and OFp/AA is for training well interaction between squads and "the sence of landscape".

Shadow.97

Quote from: usmangujjar on January 27, 2014, 03:45 PM
which win is better for gaming on too older pc, choice is between win 7 x64 & 8 x64?

pc details are here:
-  hp workstation xw6200
- single Intel xeon processor 2.8GHz.
- 4GB RAM.
- Total available Video Memory=2048 MB (dedicated Video Memory=265MB, shared system memory 1792MB).
I've found that games run best under Ubuntu as long as you don't need to use an emulator. I actually don't know which OS suits your computer the best. Good luck in the search though :)