• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What games are you playing?

Started by aa1234779, October 27, 2012, 12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 20, 2020, 05:35 AMDeliver Us The Moon - 4.4Gb

This movie isn't coming up on IMDB. Is there another title?
Well, there is no movie "titled Deliver us the moon", it's a game.
Game review here: https://www.godisageek.com/reviews/deliver-us-the-moon-review/

Maybe some users of the forum who are fans of games, and I assume shadow.97, usman or Vasuded (I know that Maher, the administrator of the forum, does not play games), have tested this game, but I guess you won't download this repack, even though I consider it is the smallest repack on the web, till someone proves otherwise.
However, I can offer you the opening cinematic cutscene of the game, since you were looking for a movie. Thus, you won't need to download the repack in order to know what the game is about.
Note that I played this game and finished it. I don't regret it, even if I consider that the Dishonored series is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nFklKSAdbU

Shadow.97

Was on the phone with my dad yesterday. First time in a long while.
He mentioned that the reason he doesnt play games is that he is scared to be addicted.

I wonder if he might be hinting that I'm addicted. (Yes, yes he is.)

What are your stances on games, are they any good to play, or is it just a time sink that kills productivity?

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 27, 2020, 02:50 PM
He mentioned that the reason he doesnt play games is that he is scared to be addicted.

I wonder if he might be hinting that I'm addicted. (Yes, yes he is.)

What are your stances on games, are they any good to play, or is it just a time sink that kills productivity?

As for me, I consider playing games as a form of escape. But you shouldn't play more than 1 or 2 hours a day I guess.
My father wasn't playing video games either. But he used to play belote.

Dishonored 2 - in the conservatory.

humbert

How do you get "addicted" to games? I don't know about the rest of humanity, but I play a game until I get tired. After that it's "save game" and we'll continue another time. Also: today's games have a high learning curve. It takes a while to learn it and even more time to get reasonably good at it. This is probably why I don't play more games: too lazy and too impatient to spend hours trying to learn it.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on August 29, 2020, 05:21 AM

How do you get "addicted" to games? I don't know about the rest of humanity, but I play a game until I get tired. After that it's "save game" and we'll continue another time. Also: today's games have a high learning curve. It takes a while to learn it and even more time to get reasonably good at it. This is probably why I don't play more games: too lazy and too impatient to spend hours trying to learn it.

On my off days I usually spend roughly 4-16 hours per day on games. Id consider myself an addict. After a while, even new games feel like old games, because you played so many that they feel natural.
It's more exhausting for me not to play games, than to play games.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 29, 2020, 08:18 AM
On my off days I usually spend roughly 4-16 hours per day on games. Id consider myself an addict. After a while, even new games feel like old games, because you played so many that they feel natural.

You spend 16 hours nonstop on a game? I can understand 4, 6 even 8, but 16??

While it's easy for you to be a gamer because you like it, it's also true that every game is different. The storyline, the commands and everything else is different. You're saying you can learn a new game and become good at it in very little time? If so, I both envy and congratulate you.

If I were an avid gamer I'd invest in a Ryzen 3900X system and an RTX-2080 or its equivalent in AMD. No, I don't have the money but fortunately I have good credit  :). If gaming is what I like then go for the best. I've heard great reviews on the Ryzen, and of course the price is right. It wouldn't be my first AMD processor.

Before I forget, let me ask: do you play your games on 2 or more monitors? I ask because I'm curious about something: does the game have to support a multiple monitor setup? For example, suppose you have 2 1920x1080 monitors side by side. Does the game have to support 3840x1080 natively, or do they all do that?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on August 31, 2020, 05:05 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 29, 2020, 08:18 AM

You spend 16 hours nonstop on a game? I can understand 4, 6 even 8, but 16??

While it's easy for you to be a gamer because you like it, it's also true that every game is different. The storyline, the commands and everything else is different. You're saying you can learn a new game and become good at it in very little time? If so, I both envy and congratulate you.

If I were an avid gamer I'd invest in a Ryzen 3900X system and an RTX-2080 or its equivalent in AMD. No, I don't have the money but fortunately I have good credit  :). If gaming is what I like then go for the best. I've heard great reviews on the Ryzen, and of course the price is right. It wouldn't be my first AMD processor.

Before I forget, let me ask: do you play your games on 2 or more monitors? I ask because I'm curious about something: does the game have to support a multiple monitor setup? For example, suppose you have 2 1920x1080 monitors side by side. Does the game have to support 3840x1080 natively, or do they all do that?
I currently only have one monitor.
One 144hz 1920x1080.
I dont mind low resolution all too much.
But I do require a really good GPU when I'm in VR. You can really feel the spaceheater(GPU) working. I do look forward to getting a new VR headset because it makes a world of difference when you're seeing screendoor effects. I'm quite sensitive like tat.

My issue with todays monitors is that a lot are curved. My brain can not comprehend bent monitors while I use them :(

I'm likely going to invest in a 240+ hz monitor when I'm back in sweden and then another one with 4k IPS with full RGB and HDR.

Also, may I ask, why is it that you don't have the money? If I compare my own savings to my colleagues, they save nothing. I don't feel like I'm saving a lot, but objectively compared to my peers I do.

I'm really quite excited for the new GPU's. Even if I have a 2080ti, I am looking forward to my less fortunate friends. Most of the people I play regularly with do not have a job or are on disability benefits. It would be so nice to be able to play more with them. They're great people

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 04, 2020, 03:33 AM
I currently only have one monitor.
One 144hz 1920x1080.
I dont mind low resolution all too much.
I'm likely going to invest in a 240+ hz monitor when I'm back in sweden and then another one with 4k IPS with full RGB and HDR.

Let me be sure I understand you. Are 144hz and 144 frames per second one and the same? If so, are your eyes and brain so keen that you can actually notice the difference between 60, 144 and 240hz? Naturally I refer to a monitor, not a VR headset.

But I do require a really good GPU when I'm in VR. You can really feel the spaceheater(GPU) working. I do look forward to getting a new VR headset because it makes a world of difference when you're seeing screendoor effects. I'm quite sensitive like tat.

I've seen pictures of VR headsets but never seen one working. Based on what you're saying I assume your headset is tethered to your video card. Do you stand and move your body as if you were in the middle of the game? Seems hard to do if you're tethered.

My issue with todays monitors is that a lot are curved. My brain can not comprehend bent monitors while I use them :(

I recently bought myself a curved 32" Samsung monitor and I love it. What I like is that on a flat monitor, especially one so large, what's on the edges appear slightly further away. With this monitor everything is facing me directly, or at least it certainly looks that way.

Also, may I ask, why is it that you don't have the money? If I compare my own savings to my colleagues, they save nothing. I don't feel like I'm saving a lot, but objectively compared to my peers I do.

I make enough money to make ends meet, but not much more. I do have excellent credit. When I want to [for example] do an upgrade, credit card companies loan me the money at very low interest rates, if not at zero interest. Thanks goodness I've never defaulted on a loan.

I'm curious about something: what kind of paperwork do you need in order to live and work in Ireland? Do you need some sort of Irish "green card" or at least a work permit for foreigners? If so how'd you manage it?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on September 04, 2020, 06:31 AM
I'm curious about something: what kind of paperwork do you need in order to live and work in Ireland? Do you need some sort of Irish "green card" or at least a work permit for foreigners? If so how'd you manage it?
You have to have a PPS number, which is basically an "ID" for tax.
To get this number you need an employer to confirm that you're going to work in Ireland.

Other than that, nothing else if you are a member of an EU/EES country.

Unsure how it is for residents outside of EU/EES.

The hardest part of moving was to get Proof of Adress to open a bank account. I was informed by my employer that I should open a Euro account when moving here. Little did I know, that my Swedish bank can work in Euro as well if you ask them to open up a euro account on it.

I recently bought myself a curved 32" Samsung monitor and I love it. What I like is that on a flat monitor, especially one so large, what's on the edges appear slightly further away. With this monitor everything is facing me directly, or at least it certainly looks that way.
I find 32' too large. I prefer smaller screens. I am perfectly happy with a 24'.
I'd probably prefer the aspect ratio 16:10 instead of 16:9.
Bigger monitors make me look around me, i prefer sitting still and having everything infront of me.

Having an extra monitor by the side can be nice, just to have a youtube video in the background. But I don't really see that as an option with a curved monitor as it's not a replacement for an extra monitor.

I've seen pictures of VR headsets but never seen one working. Based on what you're saying I assume your headset is tethered to your video card. Do you stand and move your body as if you were in the middle of the game? Seems hard to do if you're tethered.
You can buy wireless attachments, I just don't want more stuff on top of my head than a headset and a pair of headphones :P
The cable is rather thick, but I've never really been bothered by it, except for the few times where i go from standing to sitting, and i accidentally sit on the cable.

My headset, HTC Vive is connected with a 3-in one cable to a little box (Usb, HDMI, Power) that is then connected one by one to your PC and power.
I also use Vive trackers.

Here's an example of how it looks from 'your view' https://youtu.be/z5a_Npq1ttY
The only tether is the headset
I often just relax and "sit face to face" with people, laying in a couch, or whatever as a group of friends.
The last days I've spent a good chunk of hours with texturing and 3d to make my own models to use.

Let me be sure I understand you. Are 144hz and 144 frames per second one and the same? If so, are your eyes and brain so keen that you can actually notice the difference between 60, 144 and 240hz? Naturally I refer to a monitor, not a VR headset.
144hz is the amount of times the monitor refreshes per second.

Framerate is how much frames the software(through GPU) pumps out to the monitor.
A framerate above the refreshrate can be beneficial if the game engine is tied to the FPS or if:
Your pc pumps out 1000 frames in 0.4 second.
Then it only pumps out 5 frames the next 0.6 seconds.
Which would make the experience choppy. Even if the amount of frames is high, the frame time can be longer than desired. And a higher frame rate can help make the experience smooth.

I really do not like 60hz. I avoid it even for basic browsing on PC. Scrolling while reading on a browser is next to impossible for me unless it's high refresh rate.
I've sadly not had the option to try a 240hz monitor, but would love to try. Not that this isnt smooth enough. It's just that I enjoy the smoothness more than a few extra pixels.
Same thing with 60 to 144, I never had the option to try it until I bought it.
On phones I find it more okay with 60hz, but it's more to do with my habits being different while on my phone.

Some games are ok at 60. Top down games like Factorio, Sims.

Theres also advantages in input lag in most cases. Making it more immediate to when you move. But that's more an issue of old and slow 60hz panels.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 04, 2020, 01:15 PM
Little did I know, that my Swedish bank can work in Euro as well if you ask them to open up a euro account on it.

So to use round numbers, let say you have 10,000 Krona in your account and you needed half that money in Euros. They'll open a new account in your name with the sum of about 483â,¬ (at today's exchange)? Despite the bank being in Sweden, can your employer still deposit directly into it?

I was looking at the Youtube video concerning VR headsets. The hands that shortly appear at the bottom of the screen. Are these your hands? If so then I assume the device has to have some sort of camera in order to see them. Also, let's assume you're playing a shooter. You have to have some sort of weapon in your hand. Do you buy this separately or what?

With respect to frame rates, can you tell the difference between 60, 144 and 240 by just looking at it? Seems to me you need a very sharp eye to be able to distinguish between the three. It's easy to distinguish something low like 10 Hz, but 60 and higher?