• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What games are you playing?

Started by aa1234779, October 27, 2012, 12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on September 05, 2020, 06:05 AM
So to use round numbers, let say you have 10,000 Krona in your account and you needed half that money in Euros. They'll open a new account in your name with the sum of about 483â,¬ (at today's exchange)? Despite the bank being in Sweden, can your employer still deposit directly into it?
Yes, but there's a small fee to open up the account.
There's no conversion fee if you do it within my bank. But thats different from bank to bank.
To keep it though, you have to consistently have an ingoing flow of Euro. But they never mentioned why or what happens if you dont. (Over the phone)

Also, let's assume you're playing a shooter. You have to have some sort of weapon in your hand. Do you buy this separately or what?

You have a controller in your hands, and you have IR emitters that emit light, the controllers calculate position and report back to the computer.
You can use different controllers, and there's plastic adapters you can use to make it feel more like a gun and so on.
I use the HTC Wands, but plan on getting Valve Knuckles. But waiting until I'm back in sweden for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgeeGTc9ceM Here's a video comparing them.

With respect to frame rates, can you tell the difference between 60, 144 and 240 by just looking at it? Seems to me you need a very sharp eye to be able to distinguish between the three. It's easy to distinguish something low like 10 Hz, but 60 and higher?
60->144 at any time, most noticable is when you play a game, its not as noticable if you look at a video/someone else playing as you dont have the same focus.
Never tried above 160 so cant say. And 144-> 160 isnt high enough of a difference to be noticable without a direct side to side comparison.

humbert

I will bet borrowed money that within 2 years someone will come up with a wireless tether for a VR headset, assuming this hasn't been done already. Eventually the whole notion of tethering will be in the history books. Mark my words.

Please answer this for me: Assume you're playing a game with 2 1920x1080 monitors. Does the game have to support 3840x1080 (i.e., 2 monitors) natively, or can just about any game be made to do this. Similarly, if you're on a VR headset does the game have to support VR natively in order to be played? Naturally I'm asking because the game is on the computer and the VR headset is tethered to it.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on September 06, 2020, 06:37 AM
I will bet borrowed money that within 2 years someone will come up with a wireless tether for a VR headset, assuming this hasn't been done already. Eventually the whole notion of tethering will be in the history books. Mark my words.

Exists for Vive, and there is an entire headset(Oculus Quest) that is 100% wireless with a 'phone' built in, that you can connect to a pc. :) Although visual fidelity is lost if connected to a pc and it will be wired at that point.

Please answer this for me: Assume you're playing a game with 2 1920x1080 monitors. Does the game have to support 3840x1080 (i.e., 2 monitors) natively, or can just about any game be made to do this.

You can often patch games to force support it and even if it is supported it may have issues,  issues like a map being on the furthest left of the left monitor, and the health on the bottom right, making you turn your head a lot and missing out on information.
You can also set up the monitors to act as one large monitor, but that removes some functionality and can make it hard to have the game on just one screen.

Similarly, if you're on a VR headset does the game have to support VR natively in order to be played? Naturally I'm asking because the game is on the computer and the VR headset is tethered to it.
You can force patch some games to support controllers etc.
To my knowledge next to all games can be played in Theatre mode. Meaning you have a virtual monitor inside of the headset and you play with keyboard and mouse.

The "least supported" game I've played is Dirt Rally, it allows you first person cockpit view where you can turn your head. But goes back to theatre mode in menues and no VR controller support. You have to use an xbox controller, keyboard mouse, or steering wheel.
It's however one of the most enjoyable experiences. I wish I had a steering wheel for it.

My biggest wishes for VR to come is:
Eye tracking, to track which area of the screen to force higher anti aliasing on and dynamic resolution.
Decreased heat from the monitor inside the headset/better vents.
Higher pixel density with more consistent blacks. (Every pixel is slightly different shade of black)
Less God-Rays.
Get it lighter and cheaper.
Higher durability of controllers/Headset.

It feels like everything on my vive is broken. Here's a list:
Track pads click function (Self repaired)
Assembly between top ring and main frame (Plastic clips broke off)
IPD slider on headset (Adjusts width between eyes)

Here's a few "Do Not's" in VR:
Don't do headstands.
Don't run.
Don't flail with your arms. (I recommend avoiding games like Beatsaber unless you have a very big area.)
Don't have guests.
Check out this and you'll find some 'do not' stuff:  https://www.reddit.com/r/VRtoER/ (VR to emergency room reddit)

humbert

Based on what you're telling me, I predict that some day soon someone will come up with a VR headset that is totally independent of the PC, with its own OS and all the trimmings. They'll also use different materials to make them lighter and generally easier on the user. Existing games will slowly be ported to that platform. I know this sounds like a difficult thing to do, but I also know that in this business technology moves at light speed. To give you an example off the top of my head: when 32bit first came out, in a magazine I was reading it said: "32bit offers and unbelievable 4GB of memory -- a limitation you will absolutely never exceed in your lifetime"!

aa1234779

hello/salam to all

how're y'all doing?

I'm currently playing emulated PS2 games on an old laptop with an ATI 1gb video card

It's pretty good playing some of the classics classics on that console.

Also playing Black Mesa again. It's a great remake of my favorite FPS in the late 90s.

Nostalgia at it's best.
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

scarface

Quote from: aa1234779 on October 15, 2020, 07:11 PM
hello/salam to all

how're y'all doing?

I'm currently playing emulated PS2 games on an old laptop with an ATI 1gb video card

It's pretty good playing some of the classics classics on that console.

Also playing Black Mesa again. It's a great remake of my favorite FPS in the late 90s.

Nostalgia at it's best.
I'm quite fine.
I see that you got out the old games. I never played games on playstation (I only tested Gran Turismo on PS1, decades ago).

aa1234779

Quote from: scarface on October 15, 2020, 11:24 PM
I'm quite fine.
I see that you got out the old games. I never played games on playstation (I only tested Gran Turismo on PS1, decades ago).

PS2 games on an emulator with a generic USB gamepad worth 3 dollars is great.

There were some real gems on that console.

Nintendo Gamecube Wii & WiiU are also emulated.. but Wii games are better with the original WiiMote.. which can work on Dolphin for Wii and Cemu for WiiU..

BTW you should try Twisted Metal series which are my favorite car combat games.. Probably better than Vigilante 8 on PSX and the 90s pc classic Interstate 76 which was awesome at the time.
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

scarface

Quote from: aa1234779 on October 16, 2020, 12:13 AM
Quote from: scarface on October 15, 2020, 11:24 PM
I'm quite fine.

PS2 games on an emulator with a generic USB gamepad worth 3 dollars is great.

There were some real gems on that console.

Nintendo Gamecube Wii & WiiU are also emulated.. but Wii games are better with the original WiiMote.. which can work on Dolphin for Wii and Cemu for WiiU..

BTW you should try Twisted Metal series which are my favorite car combat games.. Probably better than Vigilante 8 on PSX and the 90s pc classic Interstate 76 which was awesome at the time.
Well, I'm not into console games any more. However, I keep a few old games.
If you are looking for roms, you can download these ones: https://mega.nz/file/ZIdAzbSQ#NJ0sQeTiMhQXnqL9A5YN0Q2cyJYB0Iq_AGKBr3KC9Ok
Maybe Vasudev or shadow.97 heard of these games.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on September 11, 2020, 06:03 AM
Based on what you're telling me, I predict that some day soon someone will come up with a VR headset that is totally independent of the PC, with its own OS and all the trimmings. They'll also use different materials to make them lighter and generally easier on the user. Existing games will slowly be ported to that platform. I know this sounds like a difficult thing to do, but I also know that in this business technology moves at light speed. To give you an example off the top of my head: when 32bit first came out, in a magazine I was reading it said: "32bit offers and unbelievable 4GB of memory -- a limitation you will absolutely never exceed in your lifetime"!

Oculus quest 2 is a fully stand alone headset that was released a few days ago.
You can play quite a bit of games on it. It's fairly cheap.
6gb ram, 64gb storage in base model. One model can be bought with 256gb storage.
it's essentially a phone processor in it. But I've heard good things about it.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on October 17, 2020, 07:04 AM
Oculus quest 2 is a fully stand alone headset that was released a few days ago.
You can play quite a bit of games on it. It's fairly cheap.
6gb ram, 64gb storage in base model. One model can be bought with 256gb storage.
it's essentially a phone processor in it. But I've heard good things about it.

Trust me, it'll get better, faster and lighter as times passes. There will also be more and more games and other software written for it.