• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Best e-mail client?

Started by Daniil, November 20, 2012, 10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

@Danill - one thing I never liked about Thunderbird is the "need" to look for and install add-ons. As I see it, they make perfect sense in a browser, but not in an e-mail program. Another problem I had with Thunderbird is saving attachments. One time when I was testing it, someone sent me some photos. In any other program you could simply save these as jpg files to a directory. For some reason I couldn't do this with Thunderbird. Fortunately it was set up for IMAP, that way I simply brought up Outlook and retrieved the photos with no problem.

The reason I like saving important messages in msg format is simply because that way I can put them in the correct directories. Messages from vendors about recent purchases are saved in my purchases directory. Important messages from friends are saved in friends directory, and so on. Also, with a very lightweight Total Commander add-on I can easily read the messages by going to the file and pressing F3. If I were to save them in Outlook - or worse, on the cloud - I would go absolutely bonkers.

Daniil

@ humbert
Well, after installation of modern Thunderbird I had no need to install any add-on. All important things are already included. About attachments can't say anything.

Well,it's your choice, and I understand your commitment to organizing mail, but... On any message you execute next steps: open -> select "Save" command -> select where to save -> saving, then for open you must open Total, open folder, press F3... That's too long (as for me). Modern mail clients allow to save mails in folder inside their database, this method is faster and simpler. You have folders inside a client.
Or you trying to avoid problems with database crash by saving mails in .msg format?

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on November 29, 2012, 09:58 AM
@ humbert
Well, after installation of modern Thunderbird I had no need to install any add-on. All important things are already included. About attachments can't say anything.

I had a problem saving attachments in Thunderbird. Maybe it was an old version or I didn't have it properly configured. How do you do it>

Quote from: Daniil on November 29, 2012, 09:58 AM
Well,it's your choice, and I understand your commitment to organizing mail, but... On any message you execute next steps: open -> select "Save" command -> select where to save -> saving, then for open you must open Total, open folder, press F3... That's too long (as for me). Modern mail clients allow to save mails in folder inside their database, this method is faster and simpler. You have folders inside a client.
Or you trying to avoid problems with database crash by saving mails in .msg format?

I'm familiar with the way you're telling me about saving important e-mails because I've seen many people do it. I like saving e-mails specifically outside the e-mail client simply because in a folder I create for a specific situation, not only do I insert e-mails, but also pics, documents and all other important stuff - all in one place. This makes it a lot easier for me in the sense that all the necessary information is in one place and not scattered all over. Also, I have the option of either using a viewer for the msg's or double clicking and opening them in Outlook or whatever program they're from. Saving them inside the e-mail client would drive me crazy, and add to this that maybe I might have been using something other than Outlook, so I'd have to go one by one.

BTW, does Thunderbird also offer the option of saving e-mails externally?

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on November 30, 2012, 09:04 PM
I had a problem saving attachments in Thunderbird. Maybe it was an old version or I didn't have it properly configured. How do you do it>
I getting only a .txt or .csv attachments, and they are only one per message. It's very easy to save it, just right click and select "Save as...". But I don't know how it'll be done with a multiple attachments.

Quote from: humbert on November 30, 2012, 09:04 PM
I'm familiar with the way you're telling me about saving important e-mails because I've seen many people do it. I like saving e-mails specifically outside the e-mail client simply because in a folder I create for a specific situation, not only do I insert e-mails, but also pics, documents and all other important stuff - all in one place. This makes it a lot easier for me in the sense that all the necessary information is in one place and not scattered all over. Also, I have the option of either using a viewer for the msg's or double clicking and opening them in Outlook or whatever program they're from. Saving them inside the e-mail client would drive me crazy, and add to this that maybe I might have been using something other than Outlook, so I'd have to go one by one.

BTW, does Thunderbird also offer the option of saving e-mails externally?
O-oh, yes, yes, I understand you. That's also a good way to deal with mails.

No, I didn't see such option, at least in the main menus. Maybe it exists somewhere deep in Thunderbird, but I haven't find it.

humbert

Unless I didn't do something right, even saving a jpg in Thunderbird was impossible. Fortunately it was IMAP so the message wasn't deleted. I had to go back into it using Outlook in order to save the jpgs.

Shadow.97

I have a problem in my Thunderbird, the mails that arrive as Spam in Hotmail.com dont reach my Thunderbird, really annoying when registrating on a website.
Also, you can easily have more than one email account set up with Thunderbird i use 7 mail accounts on my Thunderbird, and one master password to access Thunderbird.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 03, 2013, 01:01 PM
I have a problem in my Thunderbird, the mails that arrive as Spam in Hotmail.com dont reach my Thunderbird, really annoying when registrating on a website.
Also, you can easily have more than one email account set up with Thunderbird i use 7 mail accounts on my Thunderbird, and one master password to access Thunderbird.

I've used Microsoft Outlook forever because I haven't found anything better. Sadly, Outlook 2013 is buggier than a roach-infested house.

Shadow.97

I think my dad uses the one from 1996-98  ::)

humbert

I'm beginning to think that finding an e-mail program that does only e-mail and nothing else, supports IMAP and downloading attachments, and will allow you to save the e-mails to your hard drive is about as easy as finding an answer to inflation.

Maybe I should give Incredimail a look. I used it years ago but haven't done so in a while.