• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Help making Win7 bootable usb flash stick for fresh SSD install

Started by noobios, December 08, 2012, 12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noobios

Hi guys :)

I am having some problems. My goal is to get a bootable version of Maher's latest Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) installation on a usb flash stick and then boot from it the first time the system starts up to fresh install Win7 on my new Intel 520 SSD drive.

I first selected the ISO in Rufus to put it on the flash stick (which is currently formatted with Fat32). Well, my only option in Rufus is to format the USB drive with NTFS. That, I've heard is not recommended since the system I'm going to try to install the OS on is UEFI (Gigabyte Mobo) and won't recognize NTFS when I try to boot from the flash stick.

So, my next step was to try something else. I extracted Mahers iso with Winrar to a folder, planning to dump all the extracted Win7 files onto the flash stick. I was met with hundreds of errors during extraction, some are pasted below. This made me nervous to proceed any further, so I've stopped.

My plan, had this been successful was to finish off by following the steps below on Sean's guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds to make the usb stick bootable:

Any suggestions to help me out? Sadly I cannot do the first part of Sean's guide since Windows XP (the system I am trying to do this all on) lacks the ability to recognize the usb flash stick in the command prompt, let alone format and create partitions on it!

What a hassle  :-\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Your USB drive must also contain the directory and file: "*:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi" (* is the drive letter of your USB key that holds the Windows 7 installation files). This is the ".efi" installation boot loader extension. If you do not have this directory or file on your USB drive this is how you create it:
First, create a new directory called boot inside the "efi" folder on the USB.
You will then need to copy all of the files from the "*:\efi\microsoft\boot" directory into the directory you just created ("*:\efi\boot").
Next, use 7-Zip to open the archive located at: "*:\sources\install.wim."
Inside the archive, find the file located in folder "1\Windows\boot\efi\bootmgfw.efi."
Copy this file to "*:\EFI\Boot\" location you created earlier. (Not in the 7-zip) (This file is also available from any current windows 7 installation. It is located in the "C:\Windows\Boot\EFI" folder.)
After copying the file to the "*:\efi\boot" directory, rename the file in "*:\EFI\Boot\bootmgfw.efi" to "bootx64.efi". You should now have an EFI boot loader folder for Windows called *:\efi\boot\" with all of the files copied from the "*:\efi\microsoft\boot" folder and the newly named "bootx64.efi."
Your install media (DVD/USB) must be inserted into your PC prior to powering it up. This will allow your UEFI to register your device (DVD/USB drive) as a UEFI boot enabled device.

!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\activedirectory-webservices-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\activedirectory-wmireplicationprovider-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\adfs-federationservice-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\adfs-federationserviceproxy-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\application_experience-infrastructure-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\bitsextensions-server
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\bitsextensions-server\bitsmig.dll
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\bitsextensions-server-console-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\directoryservices-adam-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\directoryservices-domain-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\directoryservices-ism-smtp-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\extensibleauthenticationprotocolhostservice-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\grouppolicy-admin-gpedit-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\grouppolicy-admin-gpedit-snapin-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\grouppolicy-cse-softwareinstallation-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\grouppolicy-serveradmintools-gpmc-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\ime-simplified-chinese-migration-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\ime-traditional-chinese-migration-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\international-timezones-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\internet-naming-service-runtime-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\kerberos-key-distribution-center-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\mediaserver-aspadmin-migration-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\mediaserver-multicast-migration-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\microsoft-activedirectory-webservices-dl
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\microsoft-activedirectory-webservices-dl\adwsmigrate.dll
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\microsoft-windows-adfs-dl
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\microsoft-windows-adfs-dl\adfsmig.dll
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\microsoft-windows-bits-client-dl.man
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\microsoft-windows-bluetooth-config
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso: Cannot create sources\dlmanifests\microsoft-windows-bluetooth-config\bthmigplugin.dll
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.[www.nomaher.com]\Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.November.2012-Maherz.iso:

humbert

For starters, don't use Rufus to prepare a bootable USB drive. Do a google search forWindows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe and use that. It will prompt you for the ISO and will take care of formatting the flashdrive correctly. Once that's done, simply boot from the flashdrive, quickformat your drive C with NTFS and install.

The fact that you've got an SSD is transparent.

hide5000

Quote from: humbert on December 09, 2012, 02:04 AM
For starters, don't use Rufus to prepare a bootable USB drive. Do a google search forWindows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe and use that. It will prompt you for the ISO and will take care of formatting the flashdrive correctly. Once that's done, simply boot from the flashdrive, quickformat your drive C with NTFS and install.

How do you quickformat a new hard drive with NTFS when it's in the computer?

And how do you get the computer to recognize the usb boot instead of the dvd drive?

humbert

If you're referring to your first (Drive C in Windows), it's very simple. After you create a bootable DVD or flashdrive, reboot and either access your motherboard's boot menu and select the bootable media you just created, or enter your BIOS and change the settings so that your media will boot first. I don't know what motherboard you have, but on Asus DEL will get you into the BIOS and F8 will bring up the boot menu.

If everything was done correctly then the computer will boot from your media. Simply follow the prompts on the screen.