• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Maths & statistics exercises / French and English lessons

Started by scarface, June 16, 2013, 11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 14, 2022, 03:18 AMAll I know is that this level of grammatic correctness is not needed in real life  ::)

You're absolutely right. Yesterday I read in the news that during the putsch on 6/1/2021, one fanatical member of Congress sent Trump a text message asking him to invoke marshall law (note the spelling). Once I saw a picture of a protest sign in the paper. Trumpist fanatics protesting immigration. The sign read: This is ARE country! What makes this even worse is these are Americans who speak no other language except English. You can forgive someone who's just learning, but not these guys.

Scarface: Many years ago I learned in school that if you're talking a hypothetical situation, you always use the plural of the verb was, i.e., were. Example: "I wish I were a billionaire" is correct. Why? Who knows. Ask the idiots who wrote this bastard language. Sadly the British Empire spread it throughtout the globe, and that was followed by strong American influence everywhere.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on December 15, 2022, 05:59 AMScarface: Many years ago I learned in school that if you're talking a hypothetical situation, you always use the plural of the verb was, i.e., were. Example: "I wish I were a billionaire" is correct. Why? Who knows. Ask the idiots who wrote this bastard language. Sadly the British Empire spread it throughtout the globe, and that was followed by strong American influence everywhere.

We were also taught this, I had completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it..  ;D

My biggest pet peeve in english is when people use Am instead of I'm/I am:
"Am home" instead of "I am home"/"I'm home"

(PS. My 700th post!)

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 16, 2022, 04:44 PMMy biggest pet peeve in english is when people use Am instead of I'm/I am:
"Am home" instead of "I am home"/"I'm home"

As you know, the correct spelling is "I'm home". The "am home" pronunciation is typical of the southern American states and also black Americans - just their accent or dialect.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 16, 2022, 04:44 PM(PS. My 700th post!)

Keep 'em coming! You're a very sharp valued member of our forum with plenty of intelligent things to say. Your input is always welcome.