• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

General chat room

Started by Shadow.97, August 06, 2016, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Quote from: Daniil on March 10, 2022, 05:39 PM
In Russia most of western news media and sites are blocked because of sanctions, and TOR working very slow. So it's much more difficult to get vital news. Can you tell me, is there in Europe and US any news about disabling products of Microsoft on russian computers?
In our media there is a lot of fake news about that, but, as I know, Microsoft can't directly disable installed OSes.

I think best is to open free instance in Oracle Cloud if it works, then host own proxy/vpn there.
Shady free VPN services in a virtual-machine is what i would recommend as well for news.

I think best source is Microsoft themselves, they only mention new sales being blocked.
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2022/03/04/microsoft-suspends-russia-sales-ukraine-conflict/

https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/ for latest updates for Microsoft sanctions etc.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 10, 2022, 01:07 PM
A way has been found to unlock old AMD K6-2+ to equal K6-III+ unlocking full 256mb cache.

The AMD K6-2 went to market in 1998 and was discontinued in 2003. Who still uses it?

I think best source is Microsoft themselves, they only mention new sales being blocked.

Who the hell pays for Windows?

Daniil: As you're aware, due to the way the Tor browser works, it's slow no matter how fast your internet connection is. Are they also blocking torrent downloads over there? The Pirate Bay and probably other torrent sites have .onion links.

Daniil

Humbert: I'm not sure how modern Tor system works - as I know, it's not a simple distributed encrypted VPN as before, they are added a lot of features, allowing to passing the censor blockings and increasing connection speed. By my experience, before massive censoring from both sides, Tor works well, difference with ordinary connection was minimal. But now something was changed, without bridges Tor doesn't work at all - it can't establish connection with other Tor nodes. I.e., it looks like that our censors understood how Tor system worked and found a way to block hubs spreading addresses to access. But, after a check, I figured out that bridges helps in this situation.

The rumors in russian segment of internet and in social networks are that M$ can release an update for Windows, which could disable any installed copy of Windows in Russia. I also heared that products from Adobe (Photoshop and Illustrator) and Apple (all iPhones and MacBooks) could be blocked the same way. But, after doing a check today I found that this looks like a fake news. Yes, Google Pay and Apple Pay are blocked, some services are blocked (for example, Google and Apple AppStores) but no official info from corporations that they planning to block devices.

And it's really strange. Where is the source of this rumors, why they are so wide-spreaded? Is that just a panic? Or some bad peoples wanted to got a money on hype around the sanctions?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on March 11, 2022, 05:03 AM
A way has been found to unlock old AMD K6-2+ to equal K6-III+ unlocking full 256mb cache.

The AMD K6-2 went to market in 1998 and was discontinued in 2003. Who still uses it?

Who the hell pays for Windows?

Daniil: As you're aware, due to the way the Tor browser works, it's slow no matter how fast your internet connection is. Are they also blocking torrent downloads over there? The Pirate Bay and probably other torrent sites have .onion links.

Reg. AMD:
Retro builds!

Reg: "Who pays for windows"
I have a legal, genuine windows copy on all of my windows machines. I barely ever crack software anymore.
And companies who do not want to get sued do.
On my primary computers I would not like viruses and the likes and do not want the risk of infection through a bad crack.
Saving %u20AC20 or so per month on software by using cracks is no longer to me worth it for the little risk of having to wipe my entire computer, drives or be anxious about cryptolockers. Even if there's still a chance of infection it is indeed much lower.

I am fortunate enough to no longer need cracks. Only cracks I still use is vmware, photoshop, and sony vegas.
Software that costs an absolute fortune or have too high recurring costs, and I use old versions purely because I've had those cracks for years and I consider them safe. If a bad infection would have happened, it would have happened by now. On my current windows install I only have one game "cracked"/illegally obtained Need for speed 4, and no software cracked. Purely because I can not obtain it anywhere, and I already own a disk for it on playstation1 and wanted to see the difference between the windows and ps1.

When I registered on this forum I was 15 and very much into cracking software as I had no means to pay for all the software I wanted to try, learn or use. And even if I sometimes had the funds, I still had no reseller available or card to pay with.
The reason I registered on here was to make an old windows pc usable again as I could not find a way to obtain a windows xp iso without pirating.
Even if I am for pirating when necessary. What you consider necessary is likely different to me. If you find it necessary to save %u20AC20 on a game, go ahead :D  I wont judge you. I'd still assist you in all ways I can.

As well when it comes to Pirating, it's very good to enable things you've already paid for and whose activation servers are offline and never coming up again.

Daniil

Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 11, 2022, 02:48 PM
Reg. AMD:
Retro builds!

For what purposes you planning to use this retro build?

Shadow.97

Quote from: Daniil on March 11, 2022, 06:15 PM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 11, 2022, 02:48 PM
Reg. AMD:
Retro builds!

For what purposes you planning to use this retro build?
Win95/98 games that havnt been well ported to new pc's.
I might consider one if i buy my own house and have extra space.
For me old computers and old games i played when i was 3~10 have a special place in my heart :)

Sometimes even if the port is good, it just doesnt feel right.
I'm also a very nostalgia driven person

Vasudev

Quote from: Daniil on March 10, 2022, 05:39 PM
In Russia most of western news media and sites are blocked because of sanctions, and TOR working very slow. So it's much more difficult to get vital news. Can you tell me, is there in Europe and US any news about disabling products of Microsoft on russian computers?
In our media there is a lot of fake news about that, but, as I know, Microsoft can't directly disable installed OSes.
Haven't heard of them. But I heard US chip makers are stopping selling chips and even games are stopped being sold.
I don't think they can simply kill active Windows PCs in Russia but I'd have a linux liveCD on USB stick and data backed up just in case.

humbert

Daniil: There is no way M$ can go in and disable somebody's copy of Windows -- nor do they even want to. This not to mention that NOWHERE in ANY news source have I seen anything like that. The vast majority of users are pirates like me. Not only does M$ know that, they secretly support it. Look at any torrent site and you'll see and endless number of pirated copies of Windows with activators that actually work. Remember: what that want is Windows everywhere. This cannot be done without piracy. Don't worry.

It's sad that Tsar Vladimir has restricted your information to only HIS version of events. If you had access to foreign news sources you'd see a very different picture. I use an app called Smartnews which has sources from just about everywhere (not just America), they all seem to agree. Just to give you an idea, some news sources report that there are Russian soldiers knocking on doors of Ukrainian homes asking for food, or going to gasoline stations trying to get fuel for their tanks. Not to move the tanks, but to stay warm because they're freezing! This makes sense when you consider that the vast majority of Russian soldiers do NOT hate Ukrainians, on the contrary, they are like brothers.

I should also mention that Putin progaganda is not restricted here. I just opened another tab and looked at the English version of Russia Today. Only dictators need to hide the truth from their citizens.

Shadow: I've been using pirated copies of Windows and cracked software since the day I learned to use a PC. Never have I ever had a problem. This is, of course, with the exception of some weird malware that managed to find its way in. Even then, that malware doesn't care whether or not my copy of Windows is legit.

humbert

Check out this link. Sadly Tsar Vladimir will not allow Daniil to look at it, so let me give you a brief summary.

So far in Putin's war 3 generals have been killed. They are Eastern Military District, Andrei Kolesnikov, Vitaly Gerasimov of the 41st Army, and Andrei Sukhovetsky of the Russian Airborne Forces. All this while the despot keeps saying that Russian casualties are around 500. According to Former RAF Commander Edward Stringer, killing 3 generals and only 500 soldiers indicates something is gravely wrong. Generals are rarely killed in war because their job is to control their armies from well behind the front lines. The only possible reason they were killed in action is because they were at the front line where they don't belong. This can only happen if there is a serious breakdown in leadership, supplies, morale, or who knows what else.

Kyiv says Russian casualties number around 12,000 while Ukrainian casualties number at about 1,800. US intelligence puts the figure at 5,000 to 6,000 Russians as of last Wednesday. To put this into perspective, during the 9 years the Soviet Union was in Afghanistan there were only 15,000 casualties. So if the numbers from US intelligence are to be believed, Putin's losses are close to half of Afghanistan with only 17 days in. And of course Mariopol, Kharkiv and Kyiv are still holding. Nice going Vladimir!

I'm seeing on TV a nearly 40 mile convoy of nearly 1200 Russian tank, almost not moving. I'm under the impression Tsar Vladimir thinks he's going the fight the battle of Kursk all over again. This time there is a huge difference. At Kursk tanks were fighting other tanks. Here you have Ukrainian foot soldiers armed with the NATO's lastest Javelin anti-tank weapons. They have plenty of immobile targets to blow away, and they're doing exactly that.

I even read that according to intelligence reports, the military is feeding Putin much more optimistic reports than what's really happening. The reason is if they tell him the truth, he explodes in rage.

As has happened so many times in Russian history, the leaders have enriched themselves at the expense of ordinary Russians and led their people into hellish situations.

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on March 14, 2022, 04:42 AM
Kyiv says Russian casualties number around 12,000 while Ukrainian casualties number at about 1,800. US intelligence puts the figure at 5,000 to 6,000 Russians as of last Wednesday.

OK.

I don't trust any propaganda and news anymore. Many of western public influencers in a conflict situation shown themself same fascist as our russian politics. They urged to kill russians in Meta/Facebook, they supporting ukrainian nationalists, they didn't give any real help to ukrainian people, they sponsored fake news, and they supporting our russian oligarchs because of their money - OK, then no trust to them, they are same bastards as ours.

I want to note, that most of western regimes aren't fascists. Fascism is an ideology based on lie. Most known example is a nazy Germany - they lied to people that Germans are aryan, that aryan is a dominating race, and so on - Theory of Ethernal Ice, Old Gods, aryan paganism, well, you all know this. Western democracies doesn't use a lie as a basis of their politics. But many media persons, historicans and oligarchs from West (for example, Zukerberg with his urges to kill russian soldiers because they are russians - i.e., by national sign) are falls to fascist way of thinking.

Humbert: you asked me, what is propaganda? Here is the description. And here is info about propaganda in US. Propaganda is a manipulation with information. It's goal is to form an opinion about something in the heads of people. For example, marketing and advertising is a variety of propaganda. Propaganda isn't bad itself (it's just an instrument). But many political regimes using it for achieve their dirty goals.

To continue the argue about propaganda and things close to this, I want to return to our argue about Vietnam war. You said, that:
Quote from: humbert on March 04, 2022, 06:03 AM
None of the countries you mentioned are "destroyed", not even Vietnam which his the most extreme example. All are alive and well and enjoy good relations with the USA, with the possible exception of Syria and North Korea. While the USA might have influence in one more than another, none are US puppet states. If you want we'll take each country one by one for a more detailed explanation.
So, let's take a Vietnam as most extreme and well known example. Let's analyze this step by step. What national interests US pursuited in that conflict?

Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 11, 2022, 07:06 PM
Win95/98 games that havnt been well ported to new pc's.
I might consider one if i buy my own house and have extra space.
For me old computers and old games i played when i was 3~10 have a special place in my heart :)
Shadow.97: Yes, I understand you. Sometimes it's interesting to play an old games, like Tomb Raider 3 or something like this. Retro PC is a best way to play this, no emulators are effective enough to play old 3D games.