• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

General chat room

Started by Shadow.97, August 06, 2016, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 11, 2021, 06:34 PM
My father was in a motorbike accident. He's fine, broken ribs, punctured lung and broken arm.
Booked a flight for tomorrow to go see him.

Every time I hear of a motorcycle rider inevitably I hear about an accident. Some are worse than others. My cousin's husband was killed in one. If he had simply worn a helmet chances are he'd be alive today. Do you know if your father was wearing one?

Here in Texas they force us to wear seat belts while riding in a car. There is, however, no law making motorcycle helmets complusory. This is beyond my comprehension.

Researching travel restrictions, and different rules etc are brutally hard. I'd say it's harder than final boss fights, because you only know if you've done everything right when you're at the destination.

I assume this has everything to do with Covid19. Do you think it's possible to get yourself vaccinated in Sweden once you make it there? Here as of this writing 55.46% of the population has had at least one dose of vaccine and 44.16 are fully vaccinated. Everything is reopening, masks are no longer required in many places, and the number of new infections and deaths continues to drop.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on July 12, 2021, 04:31 AM
My father was in a motorbike accident. He's fine, broken ribs, punctured lung and broken arm.
Booked a flight for tomorrow to go see him.

Every time I hear of a motorcycle rider inevitably I hear about an accident. Some are worse than others. My cousin's husband was killed in one. If he had simply worn a helmet chances are he'd be alive today. Do you know if your father was wearing one?

Here in Texas they force us to wear seat belts while riding in a car. There is, however, no law making motorcycle helmets complusory. This is beyond my comprehension.

Researching travel restrictions, and different rules etc are brutally hard. I'd say it's harder than final boss fights, because you only know if you've done everything right when you're at the destination.

I assume this has everything to do with Covid19. Do you think it's possible to get yourself vaccinated in Sweden once you make it there? Here as of this writing 55.46% of the population has had at least one dose of vaccine and 44.16 are fully vaccinated. Everything is reopening, masks are no longer required in many places, and the number of new infections and deaths continues to drop.

First thing I did was to book a vaccine. I will get it the 21st :) Unsure which yet though. You only get to know when you're in the facilities.
I've not seen a single person in sweden wear masks. Everyone took them off when they arrived over the danish border to sweden.
In sweden noone cares about corona. I've had my neighbour come up to me, very close and greet me. I've had my cousin and his girlfriend over for pizza, and another friend driving me from the bus station..

My dad was indeed wearing full covering gear, including back brace and helmet. I'd be suprised if he wasnt wearing a reflective vest as well.
Here helmets are mandatory, but most people think you're insane if you're not wearing additional protection.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 16, 2021, 06:44 PM
First thing I did was to book a vaccine. I will get it the 21st :) Unsure which yet though. You only get to know when you're in the facilities. I've not seen a single person in sweden wear masks. Everyone took them off when they arrived over the danish border to sweden. In sweden noone cares about corona. I've had my neighbour come up to me, very close and greet me. I've had my cousin and his girlfriend over for pizza, and another friend driving me from the bus station..

A similar situation exists here. When you go out, almost nobody wears masks nor are they required. I'm also noticing on TV that stadiums are full of people. Inevitably cases are rising because only about half the population is vaccinated, but nobody seems to care.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 16, 2021, 06:44 PM
My dad was indeed wearing full covering gear, including back brace and helmet. I'd be suprised if he wasnt wearing a reflective vest as well. Here helmets are mandatory, but most people think you're insane if you're not wearing additional protection.

You guys certainly have the right attitude. Many bikers here think they're indestructible, or maybe that it'll never happen to them. Idiots!

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to reveal something.
I found a trunk in a garage in the house of my father. Since he died, I guessed he left it for me. Inside, I found some old photos with my father and my mother. I put some of them on the forum (maybe you remember the photos of the trip to Cairo in 1982) but I deleted this message since it might not be interesting for the users of the forum. And I found another document. A declaration of abandonment of a child dating back to December 1950. My mother was an adopted child. She told me this years ago but I didn't want to believe this. This is evidence she was telling the truth. I will probably never know my real grand parents. I thought that my grandparents were the real ones even if I never knew my grand father - he died in 1981 of lung cancer (he was a coal miner) and I was born shortly after.
The real name of my mother was Catherine De Scherrer. If you are over 90 and if your name is De Scherrer and if you had a daughter in 1950, chances are you are my grand father.

scarface

I must tell you that I got the second shot for the covid vaccine.
And I'm really tired. My arm hurts. I've got fever. I hope I'll survive this ordeal.

Note that I learnt a few days ago that my mother had a colon cancer with metastasis to the liver and lungs. The doctor described her health condition as fairly serious (palliative care).
If I'm inheriting her house in the south of France, near Valence, and if humbert, Maher or a trusted user want to live there for free, it's not a problem. But it's a run-down house, because it has been unoccupied for nearly 2 decades. On the first floor, the walls in the room adjacent to the garage began to rot due to the absence of ventilation and it lead to musty smells. There is a garden too.
If you are interested in doing up a house, you can contact me by private message. There will be an adapted lease: it's free, but you'll have to paint the walls, fix the windows. The property is perfectly habitable, but it requires finishing touches and decoration.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 20, 2021, 05:54 AM
I must tell you that I got the second shot for the covid vaccine.
And I'm really tired. My arm hurts. I've got fever. I hope I'll survive this ordeal.

This is unusual. What vaccine did you get? Did you get the same reaction with the first shot?

Note that I learnt a few days ago that my mother had a colon cancer with metastasis to the liver and lungs. The doctor described her health condition as fairly serious (palliative care).

Yikes! I assume they immediately put her on chemo. How is she reacting? Hopefully there is better chemo than when I underwent treatment some 15 years ago.

If I'm inheriting her house in the south of France, near Valence, and if humbert, Maher or a trusted user want to live there for free, it's not a problem.

Cool! Who knows, one day I'll take you up on your invitation. 😊

scarface

Quote from: humbert on August 21, 2021, 04:24 AM
This is unusual. What vaccine did you get? Did you get the same reaction with the first shot?
I got the pfizer vaccine. Apparently side effects like fatigue and muscle pain are common.

Yikes! I assume they immediately put her on chemo. How is she reacting? Hopefully there is better chemo than when I underwent treatment some 15 years ago.
It might be too late for a chemotherapy. I'm going to the hospital at the end of the month due to the distance. When my father was hopitalized and diagnosed with lung cancer with metastasis it was too late for a chemotherapy. You're probably an extraordinary man for surviving cancer. Your strength and your wide knowledge are apparent in your messages.

Cool! Who knows, one day I'll take you up on your invitation. 😊
Should you come to France, I would introduce you to some indomitable wild boar hunters. But in southern France, you need to speak French, English is not commonly understood, let alone Spanish.
If you want to learn French or if you want to know the correct pronunciation of French or English words, I advise you to use this dictionary: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=10011.0
Many words in French and English are pretty similar, for example the words orange, robot, photo, piano, biscuit, taxi, bus, ambulance...are the same in both languages, but some have a different pronunciation. What's more there are many false friends. For example the word "fastidious" (meticulous) in English is not equal to fastidieux (which means boring when talking about an activity) in French whereas "meticulous" and "méticuleux" have the same meaning.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 21, 2021, 10:16 PM
I got the pfizer vaccine. Apparently side effects like fatigue and muscle pain are common.
I got the Phizer vaccine too and I didn't feel a thing. I wonder if it's got something to do with those allergies you were telling us about.

It might be too late for a chemotherapy. I'm going to the hospital at the end of the month due to the distance. When my father was hopitalized and diagnosed with lung cancer with metastasis it was too late for a chemotherapy.
You can't think this way! No matter how serious it is, your mom should start chemo immediately. Chemo attacks the cancer no matter where it's located. There's a good chance it will at least cause the tumors to shrink or hinder their growth. You'll never know until treatment begins. I remember during my treatment there was a woman there who started chemo 13 years go and was still fighting. While the treattment didn't cure her, it did succeed in keeping the cancer at bay.

You're probably an extraordinary man for surviving cancer.
There's a proverb that says "nobody dies the day before it's his time". It was just not my time to go. My tumor started due to some strong heartburn that I paid no attention to. It was also not metastisized. That's why they were able to shrink it and burn it off with radiation. The onconolgist prescribed a drug called Pantoprazole to control the heartburn. It's great! I take it every day without fail.

Your strength and your wide knowledge are apparent in your messages.
Thanks, but don't overestimate me. There's plenty I don't know. I learn something new every day without fail. The more I learn the more I realize how ignorant I really am.

With respect to French, I'm aware of the fact that many words are the same as English and, being a romance language, the grammar structure isn't too different from Spanish. This is why when reading [for example] a newspaper in French, I more or less have a good idea of what it's about. What throws me off completely is spoken French. The way it's pronounced is often very different than how it's written. Believe it or not, it's easier for me to understand a Quebéçois than a Parisian. I have a friend who worked for a French couple from Brittany. The lady used to always say "I have trouble understanding the Quebéçois - it's easier to speak to them in English instead of French".

scarface

Quote from: humbert on August 23, 2021, 04:39 AM
Chemo attacks the cancer no matter where it's located. There's a good chance it will at least cause the tumors to shrink or hinder their growth.
Chemo is possible when the health condition of the patient is good. Patients at the initial stage of metastatic or locally advanced disease can receive a chemotherapy to prolong life.
A chemotherapy is a drastic remedy (I would describe it as a "remède de cheval" in French). For those who are very weak there is no chemotherapy.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 25, 2021, 10:52 PM
Chemo is possible when the health condition of the patient is good. Patients at the initial stage of metastatic or locally advanced disease can receive a chemotherapy to prolong life.

I had advanced stage cancer when I started chemo. Had I followed your suggestion I wouldn't be here today responding to your post. My father died of pancreatic cancer, and even he was given chemo despite his health having deteriorated.

Quote from: scarface on August 25, 2021, 10:52 PM
A chemotherapy is a drastic remedy (I would describe it as a "remède de cheval" in French). For those who are very weak there is no chemotherapy.

Is there another form of treatment available? Have the doctors suggested immunotherapy or something else? If not, then your only option is to either go with chemo or sit there and watch your mom waste away. Even if she succumbs to cancer, at least you know you did everything you could to prolong her life.

Don't be such a pessimist. There have been advances since my cancer 15 years ago.