• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

General chat room

Started by Shadow.97, August 06, 2016, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 08, 2021, 03:30 AM
The thing as well about Bitcoin is that, before it's possible to use as a currency, it needs to stop being used as a stock.

I googled this and noticed that, sure enough, it's on some stock exchanges. You know more about all this than I do. Let me ask: why do you believe they should remove it?

I might have asked you this before, but let me ask again: do you speak Irish (or Gaelic)? If not, have you had a problem communicating with the locals over there?

scarface

Today, I’m going to hold a conference to  talk about Eric Zemmour.
Note that I’m not promoting this potential candidate since I don't want to vote for him if he declares his candidacy. If I had to choose I would vote for Poutou (who was dismissed from his job as a worker at the ex-Ford factory from Blanquefort early 2020)

At 63, Zemmour is set to replace Marine Le Pen as the far right French leader.
Zemmour is expected to officially declare his candidacy in the coming weeks, and there are even claims that he will form his own political party.

Zemmour has been likened to a Gallic Donald Trump, but is more extreme than the former American President. He caused controversy this week after he pointed a gun at journalists at a defence industry show in Paris
The Frenchmen despises immigrants (he has an obsession for Islam), Left wingers, woke culture and even feminists, whom he blames for weakening France. He has written a bestselling book called The French Suicide, which states that traditional France is being swamped by alien invaders. He described England as France's greatest enemy for the past 1,000 years (Remember that Hitler described France as the greatest threat for Germany, with the Jews).

Lately, Zemmour was expected to speak in London about Anglo-French relations (why choose an enemy country?), Brexit and the situation on the Belarus-Polish border. But Eric Zemmour will not be speaking at the Royal Institution of Great Britain on Friday, November 19 in London, but in the room of an Ibis hotel - a cruel disappointment for those who care about places patinated with  history. The British learned academy, created two hundred years ago to promote science and placed under the patronage of Prince Charles, canceled, after verifications, the rental of its amphitheater to the putative candidate, who was to hold a meeting there in front of 300 sympathizers. "Anyone who wants to (...) incite hatred against people because of their skin color or creed is not welcome," said Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London. Same setback in Geneva, where 1,600 people have signed an online petition against the arrival of the far-right polemicist, scheduled on November 24. There he was to give a conference with Geneva lawyer Marc Bonnant, on the shores of Lake Geneva, in the Eaux-Vives park, which belongs to the town hall. But the city councilor of the Swiss city, Frédérique Perlier, indicated on November 14 that he was not "welcome". The municipality cannot, however, prevent the conference of the probable candidate, which should be held in a private place. These failures tarnish the tour of Eric Zemmour, while the prosecution requested a 10,000 euros fine against him, Wednesday, November 17, for "complicity in provocation to racial hatred" towards unaccompanied foreign minors (whom he had described as "thieves, murderers, rapists" in his talk show on CNews, in 2020). Despite a meteoric breakthrough, the former Figaro columnist did not see his candidacy formalized before the end of November, at the risk of wearing out his supporters. His inner circle has their eyes riveted on polls indicating a slight decline, and is alarmed that a "false dish" is on the way to becoming a "hollow". Even the audience on YouTube is running out of steam, from 415,000 Internet users having watched its meeting in Toulon in mid-September, to 160,000 for that in Bordeaux two months later.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on November 19, 2021, 01:26 PM
At 63, Zemmour is set to replace Marine Le Pen as the far right French leader.
Zemmour is expected to officially declare his candidacy in the coming weeks, and there are even claims that he will form his own political party.

I was reading your post about Zemmour. People like him are very dangerous. Not only do they firmly believe their lies and messages of hate, they have the ability to attract followers and cause real damage. Hitler and Mussolini would have admired a guy like him.

scarface

Tonight, I’m going to hold a conference about the smart cities.

Lately, a new smart cities ranking was released. Singapore was named smartest global city for the third year.
A so-called smart city no longer refers to the only technological prowess implemented on its territory. In the post-pandemic context of Covid-19 and in the face of the climate emergency, cities are proving to be "smarter" than others and better meet the expectations of their fellow citizens in search of well-being. These smart cities, are at the forefront of health issues and societal challenges.

Singapore tops the Smart City Index 2021 ranking, which lists the cities most involved in technology, ecological, health and societal issues. The Asian city is ahead of Zurich and Oslo. New York City was ranked as the smartest North American city, landing at the twelfth spot on the global list. Los Angeles (31), Washington D.C. (35), Seattle (43) and Denver (45) followed as the top U.S. cities.
Note that three French cities appear in the Top 50, including Lille, Bordeaux being the best ranked (32nd), and Paris only stands out in 61st position. In the Middle East, the first one is Abu Dhabi (28th); in Eastern Europe, Moscow (54th); in Latin America, Buenos Aires (98th) and in Africa, Cairo (104th).
Three cities in Switzerland made it into the top 10. This is partly because of the country’s good healthcare system, according to the IMD.

These are all cities which, according to their inhabitants, have perfectly managed the Covid-19 crisis and tend to quickly become resilient. The latest data collected indicates that environmental concerns are ultimately strongest in relatively wealthy cities.

More generally, access to better air quality and more health services have become a priority since the start of the pandemic. Moreover, the crisis linked to Covid-19 has significantly changed the way in which the leaders of large cities view the challenges to come. In addition to the climate emergency, health-related factors are also becoming a priority. In the light of the experience of the pandemic, it is therefore urban design and planning that must also be adapted to these new challenges to make them definitively resilient cities, in all areas.

Top 10 smartest cities in the world in 2021
1. Singapore
2. Zurich (Switzerland)
3. Oslo (Norway)
4. Taipei (Taiwan)
5. Lausanne (Switzerland)
6. Helsinki (Finland)
7. Copenhagen (Denmark)
8. Geneva (Switzerland)
9. Auckland (New Zealand)
10. Bilbao (Spain)

A photo of Singapore

humbert

What criteria do they use to determine smart cities? Of the cities mentioned I've been to New York and Taipei. Unless things have changed drastically since my visit, I don't see a reason they'd be named. At the time of my visit New York was crowded as hell. The mass of people walk on the sidewalks is a little like predatory ants in a tropical rain forest. The traffic is extremely heavy with yellow taxis as far as the eye can see. Taipei was also very crowded with very bad air pollution. Lots of people use motor scooters to get around the heavy traffic. If I have to travel there I make sure my trip is as short as possible, and of course I wouldn't consider living there.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on November 26, 2021, 05:47 AM
What criteria do they use to determine smart cities? Of the cities mentioned I've been to New York and Taipei. Unless things have changed drastically since my visit, I don't see a reason they'd be named. At the time of my visit New York was crowded as hell. The mass of people walk on the sidewalks is a little like predatory ants in a tropical rain forest. The traffic is extremely heavy with yellow taxis as far as the eye can see. Taipei was also very crowded with very bad air pollution. Lots of people use motor scooters to get around the heavy traffic. If I have to travel there I make sure my trip is as short as possible, and of course I wouldn't consider living there.
Actually, if you want the techical details about smart cities, I will let you read this:
https://www.oecd.org/cfe/cities/OECD_Policy_Paper_Smart_Cities_and_Inclusive_Growth.pdf

scarface

I have an url (https://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobilieres/2006605099.htm?ac=558505705) and I'd want to get a screenshot of the page since it was deleted (I don't know if this apartment was actually sold but it seems the real estate ad was not renewed). I'm trying to get the cache in google, to no avail. Actually I sold an apartment in this building for 177000â,¬ a few months ago and this apartment looked pretty expensive in comparison. Since I know a website to check the price a few months after the sale, I could use this as a reminder (I remember that the apartment was 31m² and located on the ground floor). If you nobody knows how to do it, it doesn't matter, I will remove this message anyway.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on December 17, 2021, 10:00 PM
I have an url (https://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobilieres/2006605099.htm?ac=558505705) and I'd want to get a screenshot of the page since it was deleted (I don't know if this apartment was actually sold but it seems the real estate ad was not renewed). I'm trying to get the cache in google, to no avail. Actually I sold an apartment in this building for 177000â,¬ a few months ago and this apartment looked pretty expensive in comparison. Since I know a website to check the price a few months after the sale, I could use this as a reminder (I remember that the apartment was 31m² and located on the ground floor). If you nobody knows how to do it, it doesn't matter, I will remove this message anyway.

We've got a similar site in Sweden:
https://www.hemnet.se/salda/bostader
It's really good to get a general idea of prices

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 20, 2021, 07:34 PM
We've got a similar site in Sweden:
https://www.hemnet.se/salda/bostader
It's really good to get a general idea of prices
The site "Leboncoin" is a generic site, not only used to sell real estate. I used it to sell a washing machine a few months ago (I bought a better one: a whirlpool - the other reliable brands for washing machines are Samsung and Bosch).
Note that during world war 2, the Germans were called "Boche" by the allies. The alternative spelling Bosch can also be found. Boche seems to have been used first in the underworld of Paris in 1860, with the meaning of a disagreeable, troublesome fellow and was then applied to Germans in general.

I noticed that the prices in Stockholm are pretty high. But what you see are probably the displayed prices before negotiations. On this website - https://app.dvf.etalab.gouv.fr/ -  you can get the real prices for every real estate transaction (in France), but you need to know the transaction date and the corresponding cadastral parcel.

scarface

Tonight, I’m going to talk about inflation. In  some videos posted in the topic “best clips”, we have seen that inflation is rampant in Turkey. It’s also the case in the United States where the poor citizens can’t buy good food any more.
That's why some people quit their job because they are not paid enough, or they go on strike.
Below you can find an article of the newspaper "Le Monde" that I translated.

Several hundred employees of Cora hypermarkets went on strike to demand a rise in wages, in more than a dozen of the 61 French stores, according to the unions. Faced with rampant inflation and the loss of purchasing power, several hundred employees of the Cora hypermarket group are demanding wages that allow them to "live with dignity". They gathered on Thursday 30 December in a few hypermarkets, such as Rennes, Bruay-la-Buissière (on the photo below), Mundolsheim-Strasbourg and Alès, on call of the CFTC and the CGT.

The movement is "fairly limited" and "without major disturbance", reacted the management, which identifies "between 250 and 300 employees" mobilized. "Today, many employees have the minimum wage and we are permanently understaffed, deplores Cyrille Lechevestrier, of the CFTC. The CEO told us in mid-December that he did not want to negotiate a raise or bonus. So we launched a national strike movement. The CGT joined us today and several hundred workers are on strike. " According to Julien Aquilina, CGT delegate: “But in twenty years, I have never seen a raise decided by the group. In 2021, on average, we had between 0 and 0.5% increase. "With the new management, the workforce began to plummet in 2016," he adds, adding that the workforce at Alès, his store, has fallen from 385 employees in 2015 to 289 today. "We are asking for a 50 euros monthly increase," continues Mr. Lechevestrier, when the management finally made an appointment on January 6 to negotiate. "We want a 5% increase and a purchasing power premium. If something right isn't put on the table in January, the momentum will pick up, "he warns. The French subsidiary of the Belgian group Louis Delhaize, which "calls for responsibility" at the end of the year, now employs less than 18,000 people in the territory after various reorganizations. Since mid-December, walkouts, filter dams and blockades of warehouses have also targeted Carrefour and Action, at the initiative of inter-union organizations or the CGT. Auchan, Leroy Merlin or Decathlon, owned by the Mulliez family, have also experienced strikes since November, without always obtaining the hoped-for results. At the call of the CGT, a few dozen employees took part in particular on December 21 in walkouts and blockades of Carrefour hypermarkets in Bercy, in Paris, and in Ivry-sur-Seine (Val-de-Marne). These precarious workers, on the "second line" during the health crisis, suffered the full brunt of inflation (+ 2.8% over one year in November) and soaring energy prices. The companies claim to have reacted, with the payment of bonuses or the doubling of the inflation compensation of 100 euros paid by the state. Not enough, however, in the eyes of many who were cited at the height of the Covid-19 epidemic.