• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Privacy Issues

Started by Vasudev, December 07, 2016, 05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Quote from: Daniil on June 20, 2021, 12:03 PM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on June 18, 2021, 03:04 AM
On this note.. The content is so different in ireland, sweden and other countries as well. And sadly you often dont know what you sign up for when you subscribe for a service.
Content often arrives months later, or not at all. Or with weird changes, or forced dub/subs.

One of the main things I hate about disney+ is not being able to pick video quality myself.
The quality sometimes change to something that I'm assuming is 480p, and it looks horrendous.
Yes, absolutely correct. That's why I don't subscribe any of this services. BTW, it looks like that all technical component of this services are mostly same worldwide - on ivi.ru, as I heared from my colleagues at work, they faced same problems with variable pixel rate.

Quote from: humbert on June 18, 2021, 04:51 AM
Based on what you're telling me the GRU would find out about your using a VPN because of how you paid for it. What if you paid in Bitcoin or some other cryptocurrency assuming there's a VPN that accepts it?

Not GRU. GRU are on recon and spying in foreign countries. With inner troubles work FSB (ex-KGB). But, anyway, you offered a VERY good idea! We can use cryptocurrency here (they aren't wide-spreaded, but are legal). And buy a VPN traffic with a cryptocurrency is a good solution. But, we should use VPNs from third countries, because at friday (June, 18) I read in news that officials banned and blocked a bunch of russian and european VPN services.

I'm curious about something, How much more or less of a dictatorship is today's Russia when compared to the Soviet Union before Gorbachev? I realize you probably were not alive at the time, but certainly you know people who were.
As old people says, dictatorship is lesser, but it'd be better if it'd be much harder. And sometimes I think they are right. I know, it sounds very strange for you, but you never lived here, and can't watch to life in Russia from inside. Communists sometimes wasn't wise, their methods sometimes was rude and barbaric, but they tried to build a society with equal rights to each man. Yes, that became a dictatorship, but the rights was "equal". I.e., if you really wanted, you could became a part of communist party, and raise to power and wealth after all. Party, science, hard work at factory, career in army could gave you wealth and became a social elevator. Today, dictatorship isn't so hard - but at the same time putinism doesn't have any social elevators. I.e., if you don't born in a family close to "Ozero" cooperative (it's an unofficial name of near circle of Putin's friends), than you can't reach any wealth and power. At all. Your hard work, your knowledge, your business abilities means nothing. Modern russian elite actively deny any attempts to join it.

Mullvad accepts payment by physical post. :P It's a nice touch. You send in your auto-generated user id in the envelope with the appropriate amount of money and they top it up as they receive it.
Shadow -> Is Office 365 used inside your browser or a client? For example, do you get a copy of MS Office as part of your paid subscription? With respect to Disney+, are you sure the 480p is their fault or could it be that your landlord's ISP doesn't want to give you more bandwidth? Have you checked with speedtest or some other way?

Daniil -> Based on what you're telling me the GRU would find out about your using a VPN because of how you paid for it. What if you paid in Bitcoin or some other cryptocurrency assuming there's a VPN that accepts it?

Daniil again -> I'm curious about something, How much more or less of a dictatorship is today's Russia when compared to the Soviet Union before Gorbachev? I realize you probably were not alive at the time, but certainly you know people who were.
Office365 is both in browser and as a client.
To my understanding office365 is what is commonly referred to as 'microsoft office', it's the same version we use at work.

And relating to the internet speed; it shouldnt be an issue as I can stream 4k etc on youtube.
Server: Vodafone IE - Dublin (id = 1756)
ISP: Vodafone Ireland
Latency:     3.92 ms   (2.10 ms jitter)
Download:   156.56 Mbps (data used: 208.5 MB)
Upload:    48.48 Mbps (data used: 57.9 MB)
Packet Loss:     0.0%
Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/0f999c49-77f2-4295-9b1b-5c07136af7fb

I'm much happier with my current internet than what I've had in previous houses here in Ireland. I actually have proper fiber here.
Sadly I'm limited to using a power line ethernet adapter, which messes with the ping times and gives random hiccups. But still. Good average ping, and decent speed :D

humbert

Daniil -> I'm confused about something. You explained that in Russia there's the FSB for internal law enforcement and the GRU for external espionage. As you said, it's similar to the FBI and CIA in America. What I don't understand is that, as far as I know, neither the NKVD nor the KGB was subdivided into an internal police force and a spy agency. If this is true then now did the KGB become both FSB and GRU?

Your comments about Russia are sad. What is the point of having more freedom if the country is ruled by a Putin-led mafia that doesn't care about the people?

Shadow -> Your new ISP is not bad at all. However, I was under the impression your internet access at home came from your drunk landlord sharing his [slow] access with this tenants. Did you move out or is he allowing you to pay for your own internet separately?

Speaking of ISP's, mine raised the price so I'm getting Google Fiber as of 28/6. They advertize 1000Mbps both up and down. The old one is 400Mpbs down and 20Mpbs up. We shall see.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on June 21, 2021, 05:42 AM
Shadow -> Your new ISP is not bad at all. However, I was under the impression your internet access at home came from your drunk landlord sharing his [slow] access with this tenants. Did you move out or is he allowing you to pay for your own internet separately?
[/img]

I moved in march to my current place, it's just a street away.
I'm allowed to get my own Cable(coaxial) internet where I am right now, but it would be less than optimal, as I currently have fiber.
I'm using  "TL-PA9020P KIT AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit", one in the house owners side of the house, and one in my part of the house.
The different parts of the house is walled off, so there is no physical acess to the different sides, but it still shares the same power etc. So works okay.
Power line adapters have come a long way since they were released many years ago.