• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Privacy Issues

Started by Vasudev, December 07, 2016, 05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniil

Yep, at last, I'm back. That was a hard time, filled with adventures, successes and failures.)) Anyway, I'm here again.

Thank you very much, humbert! W10Privacy is a great util. BTW, it's interesting, where is going all the telemetry and other private data from Win10, what organization receives it? Is that a main headquarter of Microsoft, or it's regional offices, or what? Does they share this info with special services?

humbert

Daliil: Like I said I'm glad you're back and the issues you've been having are under control.

I'm not too sure who receives telemetry information and what they do with it. I'm thinking they use that to send you targeted advertizements. One thing is for sure: it's a big money maker. If you check the torrents you'll see that permanently Windows ISO's and activators are everywhere. Clearly M$ has no interest in selling copies of Windows. They make far more money by making sure Windows is on as many computers as possible and selling ads or using that information to their advantage.

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on May 14, 2021, 05:12 AM
I'm thinking they use that to send you targeted advertizements. One thing is for sure: it's a big money maker. If you check the torrents you'll see that permanently Windows ISO's and activators are everywhere. Clearly M$ has no interest in selling copies of Windows. They make far more money by making sure Windows is on as many computers as possible and selling ads or using that information to their advantage.
Your thoughts about a true goals of windows telemetry looks plausible (more plausible than most explanations that I heared). Thank your for explanation, comrade.

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on May 16, 2021, 05:54 PM
Your thoughts about a true goals of windows telemetry looks plausible (more plausible than most explanations that I heared). Thank your for explanation, comrade.

You're welcome, Ñ,оварищ (correct my spelling if wrong). Come to think of it, there is nothing hard about the cyrillic alphabet. I'm noticing that Russian is a very phonetic language, i.e., you write it the same way you say it. Sadly the same cannot be said about English and French.

The only time M$ might complain about payment is when there's a big company with plenty of money and a ton of computers. But small companies or individuals like you and me? No! Trust me, M$ knows all about those permanently activated copies and activators, in fact that's exactly how they want it. They want people like you and me to run Windows instead of [for example] a distro of Linux. I'm thinking this is exactly why so many more computers run Windows than the Mac OS despite the fact that Mac OS came first and is clearly a better OS. Steve Jobs demanded payment from everybody. Bill Gates is a smarter. He realized the thing to do was put Windows on as many computers as possible and everything else would fall into place. This can't be done if you constantly demand payment, nobody likes to pay.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 10, 2021, 04:42 AM
Quote from: Daniil on May 08, 2021, 04:26 PM
Hello, friends. Can anybody tell, what kind of private data Win10 sends outside, and to where it sends it?

DANIIL!! So glad to see you back! Hope you can continue to enlighten us with your wisdom and knowledge.

With respect to Win10, I guess the best answer I can give you is to download and install a prog called Windows 10 privacy (https://www.w10privacy.de). Not only does it disable telemetry, it tells you exactly in detail what it's disabling. It's what I use, I recommend it.
You can add Privatezilla as well. Straight forward app with less confusion. https://github.com/builtbybel

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 17, 2021, 06:36 AM
Russian is a very phonetic language, i.e., you write it the same way you say it. Sadly the same cannot be said about English and French.
That's true. I can give you an example with 4 French words that have different spellings and the same pronunciation, and 4 different meanings, of course: verre (glass), ver (worm), vert (green), vers (towards).
Therefore the meaning depends on the context.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 17, 2021, 09:30 PM
That's true. I can give you an example with 4 French words that have different spellings and the same pronunciation, and 4 different meanings, of course: verre (glass), ver (worm), vert (green), vers (towards).

English is worse. At least in French there are accented vowels and carets (é è ê) that at least give you an idea of how to pronounce it. English has nothing like this. Vowels can have 4 different pronunciations and there's nothing to indicate anything. Also English, just like French, has many silent letters. For example, in the car maker Renault the last 3 letters are silent which makes you wonder why even put them there. BTW, I drove one of their cars in Colombia once. I love them, they're almost indestructible. Too bad they're not available here.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on May 18, 2021, 05:17 AM
Quote from: scarface on May 17, 2021, 09:30 PM

English is worse. At least in French there are accented vowels and carets (é è ê) that at least give you an idea of how to pronounce it. English has nothing like this. Vowels can have 4 different pronunciations and there's nothing to indicate anything. Also English, just like French, has many silent letters. For example, in the car maker Renault the last 3 letters are silent which makes you wonder why even put them there. BTW, I drove one of their cars in Colombia once. I love them, they're almost indestructible. Too bad they're not available here.

I put 'renault' into google translate to listen to how it would sound in different langauges.
Swedish was spot on based on how we say it.
French sounded like someone said 'Bruno' with a swedish accent, but skipped the b.

Also, that made me think. I wonder why there isnt UK/US voice for google translate.

https://youtu.be/S1oa9yYWo9s
On the subject of french

Edit:
We had to read this during class once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jtiw721RAg

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 18, 2021, 04:50 PM
Also, that made me think. I wonder why there isnt UK/US voice for google translate.

I'm thinking it might be regional. I just checked and it's giving me English words with an American accent. Is that what you guys are hearing?

Daniil

Quote from: Vasudev on May 17, 2021, 09:26 PM
You can add Privatezilla as well. Straight forward app with less confusion. https://github.com/builtbybel

Thank you, friend, I'll check it also.

Quote from: humbert on May 14, 2021, 05:12 AM
I'm thinking they use that to send you targeted advertizements. One thing is for sure: it's a big money maker. If you check the torrents you'll see that permanently Windows ISO's and activators are everywhere. Clearly M$ has no interest in selling copies of Windows. They make far more money by making sure Windows is on as many computers as possible and selling ads or using that information to their advantage.

Again, thank you for explanation, mr. Humbert. In case of Windows and M$, looks like that's absolutely correct.

Also, is somebody is interested about recepients of Windows telemetry - I checked some IPs where Win10 sending its data. Most of servers are in USA (Redmond, Washington), and some are in Europe (especially in England and Netherlands).