• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Documentaries

Started by aa1234779, August 20, 2017, 07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on September 08, 2019, 01:11 PM
It was at Gerard's home, in Naples.

Why would Gerard be upset if you removed your shirt? It's not like you're dropping your pants.

Quote from: scarface on September 08, 2019, 01:11 PM
As for the sunburns, I guess the risk was pretty low since it was in Winter.
Because Earth is an oblate spheroid, when the Sun comes in at a lower angle, its rays pass through more atmosphere before reaching us. The sun's rays are spending more time getting filtered.

I know all that, but remember Naples is at approximately 26° latitude and even in winter the sun's rays will be more direct than at higher latitudes. Sunburn depends on factors such as the angle of the sun, time of exposure, how dark your skin is, etc. You can still get sunburn during winter in Florida, it'll just take longer.

Incidentally, did I misread or did you say Gerard died because he couldn't afford an American dentist and had to travel to Bogotá for treatment? If so it doesn't make sense unless he had something very severe.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on September 09, 2019, 05:10 AM
Why would Gerard be upset if you removed your shirt? It's not like you're dropping your pants.
Apparently it was bothering some old neighbours.

Incidentally, did I misread or did you say Gerard died because he couldn't afford an American dentist and had to travel to Bogotá for treatment? If so it doesn't make sense unless he had something very severe.
Gerard was French. he left France when he was a student and lived like undocumented migrants for years before he could obtain the American nationality. Of course, he was speaking French, English and also Spanish. He was working 60 hours a week to sell cars. Certain months, he was not even earning money. When he divorced he bought the house back from his wife. He was indebted. Despite a house in Naples, there won't be anything left.
As for the cost of the dentist, I know that it was costing 25000$ vs 5000$ in Colombia.

On the forum we have many users. Many are coming from Asia: India Pakistan or Indonesia. Others come from the Near East: Palestine, Saudi Arabia or Egypt. But few come from the US. They are probably too busy working.
If you can, watch the price of the American Dream: https://vimeo.com/242099372
Allegedly, the directors of this documentary tried to do the same one in Palestine (the price of the Palestinian dream). On the beaches of the Gaza strip, they tried to find workers. But they couldn't find any! In the streets they stumbled upon goats and chickens. All of them had a mighty grin. And they were not working either! This is why Palestinians have to ask Israelis if they can open a paypal account: they will be children all their lives.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on September 09, 2019, 09:52 PM
Apparently it was bothering some old neighbours.

Being a guest in someone's home obviously you have to go by the rules. But a neighbor? They have no right to tell you what to do if you're not on their property. And of course, you're not a woman - what you tried to do is perfectly legal.

As for the cost of the dentist, I know that it was costing 25000$ vs 5000$ in Colombia.

What exactly was the nature of his illness? It must have been severe. I realize dentistry isn't cheap here, but $25,000 is ridiculously high unless we're talking something very major. The same logic applies to Bogotá at $5,000. Incidentally, medicine is Colombia is pretty advanced unless you go to a cut-rate street dentist. $5000 means he either went for top-of-the-line or had the misfortune of running into a quack dentist.

As a French citizen, couldn't he have taken advantage of the EU's medical/dental system? As far as I know it's either free or at least very affordable, certainly more than here or possibly Colombia.

Quote from: scarface on September 09, 2019, 09:52 PM
This is why Palestinians have to ask Israelis if they can open a paypal account: they will be children all their lives.

It's never occurred to me to ask Maher why he can't have his own Paypal account. I don't understand why the Israelis would deny him or any other Palestinian the privelege. He has a credit card.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on September 10, 2019, 05:45 AM
What exactly was the nature of his illness? It must have been severe. I realize dentistry isn't cheap here, but $25,000 is ridiculously high unless we're talking something very major. The same logic applies to Bogotá at $5,000. Incidentally, medicine is Colombia is pretty advanced unless you go to a cut-rate street dentist. $5000 means he either went for top-of-the-line or had the misfortune of running into a quack dentist.
He probably needed a few implants...

scarface

Today, I’m going to hold a conference to talk about the situation of the people of Gafsa, in Tunisia.

Located some 300 km from the capital, this mining region has the second highest unemployment rate in the country. On the spot, disillusion reigns.

Unemployment, corruption, lack of infrastructure and pollution: In Gafsa, in the center of the country, people lost confidence in politics. Sitting at the TamTam cafe in the city, 360 km south of Tunis, Hiab does not look at his friends, even when they go to him. He responds by keeping his eyes fixed on his phone on which he plays Free Fire, a fighting game. This is how he spends his days. Hiab, 26, and four years of unemployment behind him, seems overwhelmed by disillusionment. He smiles when asked who he will vote for: "I will not move. Elections are a game. Their game, the politicians. All they want is the position and the money that goes with it. "
“We are in prison here, "says the young man who dreams only of leaving the country. Graduated in computer science and mechanics, speaking good English, Hiab was never able to find a stable job. The governorate of Gafsa has the second highest unemployment rate in Tunisia: 25%, against a national average of 15.3%. This rate rises to 39% for young graduates, according to Rim Sai, president of the local branch of the unemployed graduates association. She is part of the "lucky": she was hired in 2018 ... after fourteen years of unemployment  for the 39-year-old woman enjoying a cream coffee.
To get a job, Rim Sai filed a file. The addition of her age, years of unemployment and points about her social situation - she is an orphan - gave her a "score" allowing her to be a priority. She was recruited, with 450 people, on more than 2000 applications. Regardless of her training - in IT, marketing and tourism - Rim was awarded a Human Resources position at the Environmental and Planting Society. The company, which is linked to the Gafsa Phosphate Company (a semi-public company), was created in 2011 to hire unemployed people and calm down social tensions. "People just go to the premises to clock in and do nothing. It's fictional work," says a Gafsa activist.
Rim says she works, and she does not seem to be asking questions about this grotesque system. She is relieved: "I have 850 dinars of salary (268 euros). It's happiness." Unlike Hiab, Rim Sai will vote. For Nabil Karoui. The media mogul has been imprisoned on suspicion of money laundering since the end of August. The candidate, whose wife is from Gafsa, has invested heavily in inner regions in recent years, thanks to a charity. "He came here with doctors, who saw the disabled. He helped social cases," argues Rim while acknowledging: "The experience makes me say that we should not expect anything. In 2014, I voted Béji Caïd Essebsi (the president died in July). I do not know what he did, but here he did not do anything. So we have to change. My vote will be a vote of anger. "

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to hold a conference about climate change. An article published today shows the severity of the situation.

Climate change effects to be worse than previous estimates, new study shows.

The world may become hotter than previously expected by the end of the century, according to a major study by some 100 of the top researchers in the field in France.

In the worst-case scenario, average global temperatures may rise 6 degrees to 7 degrees Celsius (10.8 degrees to 12.6 degrees Fahrenheit) by 2100, according to the work released by France’s National Center for Scientific Research CNRS, the atomic energy commission CEA and weather office Meteo-France.

That reading is about 1 degree Celsius hotter than previous projections. It’s also well above the 2-degree threshold endorsed by the United Nations. Beyond that level, storms are likely to become much more powerful and sea levels more than 1 meter higher.

The two updated models by the French researchers take a closer look at the regional effects of higher temperatures. They integrate the latest understanding of atmospheric physics and have higher resolution, CEA climate scientist Pascale Braconnot said in a press conference on Tuesday. All of the scenarios generated by the models predict “pronounced” and more severe global warming than the previous research completed in 2012, CNRS said in a statement.

“There’s a jump in quality in the result of the models for numerous indicators,” Braconnot said. “We have more confidence in the new version compared to the previous one.”

Updating the climate models required 500 million hours of calculations by supercomputers at Genci and Meteo-France, the weather office said in a statement. The research will contribute to part one of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s sixth assessment report, expected in 2021.

Only one of the updated climate models used by the researchers allowed for the global temperature increase to remain below 2 degrees Celsius by the end of the century.

The assumptions in that best-case scenario, called SSP1 1.9, include carbon neutrality by 2060 followed by a boost for carbon capture technology. That would also require lower population growth, a priority on sustainability and strong global cooperation to reduce pollution.

The worst-case scenario, called SSP5 8.5, assumes rapid economic growth driven by fossil fuels.

In the more pessimistic scenario, all summers in France by the end of the century will be hotter than the 2003 heatwave year, CNRS climate researcher Olivier Boucher said at the press conference.

Across Europe, heat waves will become longer and more intense, while the Arctic will be entirely ice-free during summer in the last two decades of this century.

“In 10,000 years, we haven’t explored anything as major as what we’re doing over a period of 100 years,” Braconnot said. The global temperature difference between the last ice age and the end of glaciation was 3 to 4 degrees Celsius, she said.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to talk about the black hole at the center of our galaxy, because according to scientists, this black hole seems to be more and more hungry.

Vasudev and Maher must be wondering what a black hole is. What does it look like?
Maybe some of you are thinking the photo below represents the black hole at the center of the universe.

Actually, the black hole of the universe looks like this:

This is a hearty meal that Sagittarius A, the black hole in the center of our Milky Way, has begun. UCLA researchers are struggling to find an explanation for this "appetite".
Their analysis is based on more than 13,000 observations of the black hole, made over 16 years. Some of the most recent ones would be "unprecedented".

A hole not so black.
Andrea Ghez, professor of physics and astronomy at UCLA (University of California - Los Angeles), recalls the results with amazement: "We have never seen anything like since we studied this hole. In general, it's a pretty quiet black hole. We do not know what induces such a feast.

The extent of this "feast" seems considerable indeed. Since 2003, astronomers have completed more than 13,000 observations of the 133-hole black hole using two Chilean and Hawaiian telescopes. On May 13, they realized that the area close to the point of no return (the area from which matter can not escape once entered) was twice as bright as the brightest event ever observed. However, this brightness corresponds in fact to the radiation of gases and matter swallowed by the black hole.

This year, more observations were made: big changes, described as "unprecedented" by Andrea Ghez, were also observed on these occasions. On one of the four nights of observation between April and May 2019, Tuan Do, one of the authors of the study, said: "In the first observations I made that night, Sagittarius A was so bright that I thought I confused it with the star S0-2. But it soon became clear that the source was to be the black hole.

Looking for explanations.
The star S0-2 is one of the hypotheses raised to explain the more intense activity of the black hole. Indeed, this star which was particularly close to Sagittarius A in the summer of 2018, could have released a large amount of gas, which would have reached the point of no return this year, creating a strong activity in the surrounding area. .

The high brightness, indicates, as we mentioned before, gas and dust falling into the black hole. It raises questions among researchers: is it an isolated event or a real increase in black hole activity? For Mark Morris, also professor of physics and astronomy at UCLA, and co-author of the study, "the big question is whether the black hole enters a new period - for example if the gas rate falling into the black hole increased for a prolonged period - or if we simply witnessed the fireworks from some unusual gas blocks. "

In any case, the black hole, which is some 26 000 light years from Earth, poses no danger to it. Nevertheless, the team continues its observations of the phenomenon, seeking to learn more: "We want to know why this supermassive black hole becomes brighter, and how brighter it becomes." A paradox for a black hole.

scarface

scarface

Tonight, I'm giving you a few good articles of the newspaper Le Figaro. You know that you can have a full access with this app, if you are willing to read articles in French: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=9855.msg34491#msg34491

An article about Saudi Arabia: http://www.lefigaro.fr/vox/monde/renaud-girard-basculement-du-rapport-de-forces-dans-le-golfe-persique-20191001

The policemen are taking to the streets: http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/ulceres-les-policiers-descendent-dans-la-rue-20191001

Nicolas Sarkozy to face trial for campaign finance fraud in the Bygmalion scandal after Top French court rejected bid to avoid trial: http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/bygmalion-la-cour-de-cassation-valide-le-renvoi-en-correctionnelle-de-nicolas-sarkozy-20191001

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to hold a conference about the arrest of Dupont De Ligonnès.

Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès, a Frenchman who is suspected to have killed his entire family in 2011 and has been on the run since, was arrested in Glasgow on Friday, AFP reported, citing police sources.
His family was discovered buried in the garden of their family home in Nantes.
Dupont de Ligonnès had disembarked from a flight from Roissy-Charles de Gaulle airport, near Paris, AFP reported.
"On Friday, 11 October 2019, a man was arrested at Glasgow Airport and remains in police custody in connection with a European Arrest Warrant issued by the French Authorities", a Police Scotland spokeswoman told Euronews.

He was travelling under a false name, but his fingerprints betrayed him. He opposed 'no resistance' to his arrest, according to French newspaper Le Parisien, which broke the news.
Dupont de Ligonnès had disappeared before his family's bodies were found, and the murders had never been solved.
Police found a message he had sent in 2010 in which he had said he wanted to kill his family.

According to the AFP quoting a source close to the case, Dupont de Ligonnès travelled on a French passport that was stolen in 2014, and had "probably spent a part of his time on the run in the UK".
Before the murders, Dupont de Ligonnès had told neighbours and his children's schools that he was a secret agent and that the family was leaving to join a witness protection scheme.

He was last seen in April 2011, appearing on the 14th on a CCTV video as he withdrew money, and on the 15th as he left a hotel. His wife and children's bodies were discovered six days later.

His arrest followed an "anonymous denunciation", AFP reported. Le Parisien reported that he had been living in Scotland for some time.