• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What should I do ? Advice please

Started by stimp, January 31, 2013, 07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stimp

Hi all, Just after a little advice, wondering what windows I should install ?

I have used xppro32 bit for years, very happy with it but had to recently buy a new mboard. Had 2Gb ddr2 memory on old board which was ok, so as I'm on a budget I bought a gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo mboard which has both ddr2 and ddr3 memory slots. I bought new memory this week 8Gb ddr3 but of course 32bit can't see or utilise it, still using my old CPU which is a dual core E5400 @ 2.7Ghz.

Machine is basically used for browsing, torrenting a little gaming and watching movies etc

Should I just go with xp64bit or go with win7 or even win8 ? What would the advantages of 7 or 8 to me if I went with one of those ?

Thanks for any input :)

scarface

A 32 bit OS Wont be able to use more than 4Gb of Ram. Therefore it depends on what you do. If you use resource hog software or 64 bits programs, then 64bits OS is a must.
I personnaly have a filthy configuration in comparison with what I do, but I use lots of 64bits program, hence a choice for win 7 x64.

Ahmad

I'm with Scarface..
Your machine will run Windows 7 x64 very well and at the same time, you'll benefit from all RAM memory you have.. Also, Windows 7 is not far from XP which you are happy with, so I think you may not like Windows 8.

But the most important thing is to use 64-bit system.
If you don't want a change, use Windows 7 64 bit.

Good luck.  :)
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

stimp

Thanks guys for the input, I went with the 64bit7, seems fine so far with no headaches at all :) Only reason I'm ditching the XP is due to utilizing the full memory, no point in having it in there and not getting used.

Maybe one day I'll venture into the win8 lol

scarface

like me you have a low end cpu. I have a Athlon Dual Core P320 2,1Ghz. Still it has 2 cores, so when using 64 bits apps, there is probably a difference. On encoding apps supporting several thread options, it cant use the 2 cores without crashing though.

humbert

I'd go with Windows 8 if I were you. I ran Windows 7 for 3 years and I've been on Windows 8 since September, and I can assure you W8 beats W7 any day of the week. It even runs much better on older computers than 7 ever did. It's rock solid.

Don't even dream of running XP-64. It's not a question of whether the OS is good or bad, it's trying to find drivers and other support for it.

scarface

humbert is right. but for me there a 2 problems with windows 8: it cant be easily activated and its metro ui is right away lousy.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on February 02, 2013, 06:54 AM
humbert is right. but for me there a 2 problems with windows 8: it cant be easily activated and its metro ui is right away lousy.

It can't be "truly" activated the same way Daz Loader activates Windows 7, BUT it can certainly be made to work. My laptop was activated with one of those strange programs on the Pirate Bay and it's still working. The day that stops, before 24 hours passes something else will be available. I am convinced that Bill Gate$ himself is the one who makes sure something works, this strategy has made him a multi-billionaire.

As for Metro, define "lousy". I will not dispute anything based strictly on personal tastes, after all, the fact that I hate coconuts or butter pecan doesn't mean the other guys have to share my tastes. If we're not talking personal taste, then tell me more. One thing I personally love about Metro is that, to start a program, all I do is hit WinKey once and click on a big tile. The start menu for me is a total pain! I click the Start orb, then go up, then left, then right, then left again until I find my icon - and even then I often clicked the wrong one. Naturally I have to remember where it is.