Maher's Digital World

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Offline humbert

Re: Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase
« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Vasu -> Why do you prefer 7z over Winrar? I have the cracked version of Winrar 5.70 - it's fast and it works great. I ask because I haven't tested 7z and I wonder what an apples-to-apples comparison looks like. When I have to open a 7z file I use Total Commander's 7z plugin, but Winrar could easily open them too.

« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2019, 02:05 AM »
@scarface:If you use rar then WinRAR is the best. I switched to 7z format long time and 7zip can open a lot of linux and windows files easily and even a  Linux version can do the same and I prefer cross platform compatibility and performance.
@humbert:
I never used Winrar!

Offline scarface

« Reply #232 on: March 27, 2019, 05:57 PM »
@scarface:If you use rar then WinRAR is the best.
I'm not claiming to be the best.
I switched to 7z format long time and 7zip can open a lot of linux and windows files easily and even a  Linux version can do the same and I prefer cross platform compatibility and performance.
Both programs are included in the SF windows 10 anyway, I don't know what the fuss is all about.

Note that the development of an home-made windows 10 Pro x64 lite v1903 is currently under way. A new version will be available soon.

« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2019, 02:32 AM »
@scarface:If you use rar then WinRAR is the best.
I'm not claiming to be the best.
I switched to 7z format long time and 7zip can open a lot of linux and windows files easily and even a  Linux version can do the same and I prefer cross platform compatibility and performance.
Both programs are included in the SF windows 10 anyway, I don't know what the fuss is all about.

Note that the development of an home-made windows 10 Pro x64 lite v1903 is currently under way. A new version will be available soon.
I'm already on 1903 insider 18862 and there are few bugs pending, System > Apps crashes settings app and lot of minor UI inconsistencies.

« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2019, 12:41 AM »
@scarface: Doesn't ESD tax the CPU while compressing/decompressing on low end PCs?
Why don't you use NTLite to remove UWP apps and save 1GB per edition?

Offline scarface

« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2019, 01:13 PM »
@scarface: Doesn't ESD tax the CPU while compressing/decompressing on low end PCs?
Maybe. But do you have a better alternative to have a small version?
I'm already using a script (available below) in powershell. I don't think I could delete more apps without breaking the system. Most are system critical or in place to support other apps or the possibility of other apps being installed

Code: [Select]
Import-Module AppX
Import-Module Dism

#Use "#" to comment out apps you don't want to remove.
#You must comment out both commands for each app. 
#The Remove-AppXpackage and Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage must both be commented out.

#Remove AppX Packages for unnecessary Windows 10 AppX Apps
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.BingNews* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.GetHelp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Getstarted* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Messaging* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.NetworkSpeedTest* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Office.OneNote* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Office.Sway* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.OneConnect* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.People* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Print3D* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.RemoteDesktop* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.SkypeApp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsAlarms* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsCamera* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackHub* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsMaps* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.XboxApp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.ZuneMusic* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.ZuneVideo* | Remove-AppxPackage

#Remove AppX Packages for Sponsored Windows 10 AppX Apps
Get-AppxPackage *EclipseManager* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *ActiproSoftwareLLC* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *AdobeSystemsIncorporated.AdobePhotoshopExpress* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Duolingo-LearnLanguagesforFree* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *PandoraMediaInc* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *CandyCrush* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Wunderlist* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Flipboard* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Twitter* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Facebook* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Spotify* | Remove-AppxPackage

#Optional: Typically not removed but you can if you need to for some reason
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml_10.1712.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml_10.1712.5.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.BingWeather* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.MSPaint* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsCalculator* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsStore* | Remove-AppxPackage

#The Remove-AppXpackage and Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage must both be commented out.

#Remove AppX Provisioning for unnecessary Windows 10 AppX apps
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.GetHelp" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Getstarted" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Messaging" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Office.OneNote" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.OneConnect" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.People" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Print3D" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.SkypeApp" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsCamera" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackHub" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.XboxApp" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.ZuneVideo" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

#Sponsored Windows 10 AppX apps don't have corresponding provisioning packages

#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.BingWeather" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.MSPaint" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsStore" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

« Reply #236 on: March 30, 2019, 02:18 AM »
Maybe. But do you have a better alternative to have a small version?
I'm already using a script (available below) in powershell. I don't think I could delete more apps without breaking the system. Most are system critical or in place to support other apps or the possibility of other apps being installed

Code: [Select]
Import-Module AppX
Import-Module Dism

#Remove AppX Packages for unnecessary Windows 10 AppX Apps
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.BingNews* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.GetHelp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Getstarted* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Messaging* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.NetworkSpeedTest* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Office.OneNote* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Office.Sway* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.OneConnect* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.People* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Print3D* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.RemoteDesktop* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.SkypeApp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsAlarms* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsCamera* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackHub* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsMaps* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.XboxApp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.ZuneMusic* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.ZuneVideo* | Remove-AppxPackage

#Remove AppX Packages for Sponsored Windows 10 AppX Apps
Get-AppxPackage *EclipseManager* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *ActiproSoftwareLLC* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *AdobeSystemsIncorporated.AdobePhotoshopExpress* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Duolingo-LearnLanguagesforFree* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *PandoraMediaInc* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *CandyCrush* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Wunderlist* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Flipboard* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Twitter* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Facebook* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Spotify* | Remove-AppxPackage

#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml_10.1712.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml_10.1712.5.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.BingWeather* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.MSPaint* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsCalculator* | Remove-AppxPackage
#Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsStore* | Remove-AppxPackage

#Remove AppX Provisioning for unnecessary Windows 10 AppX apps
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.GetHelp" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Getstarted" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Messaging" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Office.OneNote" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.OneConnect" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.People" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Print3D" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.SkypeApp" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsCamera" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackHub" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.XboxApp" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.ZuneVideo" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

#Sponsored Windows 10 AppX apps don't have corresponding provisioning packages

#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.BingWeather" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.MSPaint" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
#Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where Displayname -EQ "Microsoft.WindowsStore" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
I keep Xbox,Contact support,calculator,paint and Snip and Paste aka snipping tool.

« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2019, 01:43 AM »
@scarface: I did update both install.wim and boot.wim and resulting image says Windows cannot find drivers for booting. I did find a MSFT guide to copy newer exe and dll to a folder and copy or merge with orginal extract ISO to update boot.wim.
You can use win toolkit or imagex or even Dism++ to keep the image mounted and I used Dism++ to remove most Appx and you can add regtweaks too.

Offline scarface

« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2019, 11:12 AM »
@scarface: I did update both install.wim and boot.wim and resulting image says Windows cannot find drivers for booting. I did find a MSFT guide to copy newer exe and dll to a folder and copy or merge with orginal extract ISO to update boot.wim.
You can use win toolkit or imagex or even Dism++ to keep the image mounted and I used Dism++ to remove most Appx and you can add regtweaks too.
With windows 7, you have to update boot.wim with usb 3 drivers if you use a usb key on a usb 3 port.
To add drivers on windows 7 and windows 10, I just use the original dism. I don't use third party software to remove components.
Note that an updated windows 7 pro x64 will be available by the end of the week.

Offline humbert

« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Note that the link for windows 7 is available for those who are interested.

As I'm sure you're all aware, support for Windows 7 ends on 14/1/2020. I suggest those of you who are still on it to upgrade to 10 ASAP. Diehards out there will use the same argument as with XP - it's mean, lean and works perfectly. I totally agree. Sadly upgrades are a fact of life. Sooner or later, one way or the other, you WILL upgrade. Better to get it over with, the sooner the better.

Incidentally, according to Micro$haft, any computer that can run Windows 7 can run Windows 10. Disclaimer: I haven't tested this, I'm repeating what they're saying.