• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Partition with OEM backup function..??

Started by Shadow.97, May 27, 2015, 02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Okay, title = confusing.

I thought of installing windows 8 as I got a very good deal on it because I'm a student.
When you buy a laptop or a computer at a shop from asus or similar, you get a partition on the drive that allows you to basically wipe the disk but keep programs, images and such, and one option to delete all this information. Like a fresh install without having to use USB, or network boot etc.
Does anyone know how to do this? Last time I tried it kept saying that it was not set up properly.

Thanks in advance! :)

humbert

@Shadow - You got a good deal on Windows 8.1? You have a legal copy? You're probably the only one on the planet who does. :)

One thing I hate is the way laptop vendors set up the hard drive on a new computer, not to even mention the crapware they install. Since they won't sell you a laptop with no OS on it, I have to take matters into my own hands. First, disable secure boot and enable CSM. Then boot from flashdrive with Maher's copy, wipe the drive and install from scratch. I think this is better than decrapifying and redoing partitions.

I should also mention you're not tied down to MBR after doing this. AOMEI will convert MBR to GPT with no data loss. I've done it on 2 drives already and it works great.

humbert

You paid 250 krona for all those programs? In other words that price includes all? If so then it's a very good price.

Do you use all those programs?

I'm assuming Autoroute is an offline mapping program. I guess nowadays the only use for this is on a laptop in your car where there is no Wifi.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on May 31, 2015, 04:59 AM
You paid 250 krona for all those programs? In other words that price includes all? If so then it's a very good price.

Do you use all those programs?

I'm assuming Autoroute is an offline mapping program. I guess nowadays the only use for this is on a laptop in your car where there is no Wifi.
So far I only activated Windows 8.0 key.
If you have any request(Not Win 8.1, Win7, Win Server 2012 + some other i cant think of) though, I'll do my best :)
I'm not using them yet, i might use some more later. I've not looked into it much. And yes, 250 for all those!