• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Why do people still use XP

Started by topdog, June 19, 2013, 01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniil

Slax isn't the best choice, after my expirience. ;D
Linux is mostly for servers or specific applications (for example, my partners use it as OS for selfmade CNC lathes. Well, to be perfectly correct - they trying to use it. ;D We'll take a look how that will ended.)
The end of my fight with Slax and other Linux distros was very simple. I had no time to figure out how to force XAMPP to work on Slax. So I spat, format my USB stick and went and bought an old laptop. And install WinXP on it. It takes about 3 hours and then I just start to work.
So, conclusion: if you need to work with PC, use Windows. If you need work of PC, use Linux.

Quote from: usmangujjar on September 29, 2013, 06:28 PM
may it is wrong place,
i want to discuss other OS than Microsoft Windows, any one having some information about other OS's? please discuss..........
If you have free time and want to learn, try to start from Slax (as said comrade Humbert), then try a Slackware. I like it very much, it is difficult but cool.
Also, I saw a Porteus Linux. Who can say anything about it?

certvalue111

hello...Games that support XP run a lot better on it than Windows 7 or 8. Because it puts less load on your system, thus allowing tasks to perform smoothly. Windows XP is still being used by many people and is okay to use when you're using computer for the first time. you can get windows XP from here.
ISO 9001 Certification in Saudi Arabia | ISO 9001 Certification in Dubai

humbert

Quote from: certvalue111 on March 17, 2018, 09:24 AM
hello...Games that support XP run a lot better on it than Windows 7 or 8. Because it puts less load on your system, thus allowing tasks to perform smoothly. Windows XP is still being used by many people and is okay to use when you're using computer for the first time. you can get windows XP from here.

As I've said so many times, XP isn't bad, it's OLD. Only those people who are stuck with an old computer and can't upgrade should be using it. Otherwise forget it, it was developed in the days when today's hardware didn't exist.

Yoda

I would like to say something (from my experience).

I have some cases where the peripherals are working with software developed only for XP.
Eg. Medical equipment that their software programmers abandoned this model and start developing
win7-8-10 compatible software for the next models of equipment, so the doctors stuck in win XP PCs.
May The Force Be With You ...

humbert

Exactly my point. Developers are developing software for newer versions of Windows because sticking with XP is ludicrous. Those doctors that are stuck with XP and the old computers will continue using them until they no longer work or simply aren't up to the task. One thing is for sure: nobody makes old XP-compatible computers nor old medical equipment designed to work with them. Upgrade or die, you can't live in the past.

PANZER24

I'm using XP cuz even a donkey wouldn't fart for my pentuim.
as a XP windows user I say that most of people use XP because their computer specs can't match the requirement ones for newer versions of windows.
sorry for my bad english.

topdog

Well, almost 5 years later and I'm still running XP on 2 machines but one of those is about to be retired.
And Humbert, you were right, no need at all for a touch screen with Win 8/8.1, never use mine.
they call me domesticated ..... I CALL THEM FOOLS !!!

humbert

You guys who are stuck with old computers: have you ever considered running a distro of Linux instead of XP? Do you run programs that are Windows-only and haven't been ported to Linux? Mint is my favorite and even the 64bit version runs like a rocket on 10 year old machines, or older.

Yoda

Yesterday a dentist called me because his XP PC died.

His expensive X-Ray machine is only working with a s/w (and drivers) developed for XP and the s/w company is not supporting it any more.

Lucky me, he had an copy of the s/w installation CD.
So after buying a new (modern) PC I re-installed XP+drivers (Again) and X-Ray machine s/w ...

His only other option was to spend a hell of money to buy a new X-Ray machine...
So ... XP keeps going...
May The Force Be With You ...

humbert

Quote from: Yoda on April 23, 2018, 11:02 AM
Yesterday a dentist called me because his XP PC died.
His expensive X-Ray machine is only working with a s/w (and drivers) developed for XP and the s/w company is not supporting it any more.
His only other option was to spend a hell of money to buy a new X-Ray machine...
So ... XP keeps going...

This is a classic example of what I've been saying about XP: the only people who should continue to use are those who are stuck with old equipment because an upgrade is financially impossible. The mere fact that new X-ray equipment doesn't support XP is proof that XP does NOT keep going, in fact it's dead unless you're stuck with something old.

Let me say once again that XP was an excellent operating system in its day. Forget it: it's obsolete, it's done, it's history.