• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

(New) Testing Anti Virus Suites

Started by Vasudev, June 02, 2014, 12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Vasu -> See if you can help me out here, I'm not having much luck. Secure boot is DISABLED. I checked the BIOS. Besides, I hate secure boot.

All Ventoy does is supposedly install something on a flashdrive, after using it I checked and the flashdrive was empty.

Kaspersky rescue disk and Eset rescue live CD won't boot. I get the opening screen and nothing else. I used Rufus. Should I try something other than that?

Despite DrWeb live CD coming with its own exe that supposedly configures the flashdrive correctly, it still won't boot. It gives me 2 partitions. Booting from Partition1 I get an opening screen only, Partition2 give me nothing.

Any ideas?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 30, 2021, 05:06 AM
Vasu -> See if you can help me out here, I'm not having much luck. Secure boot is DISABLED. I checked the BIOS. Besides, I hate secure boot.

All Ventoy does is supposedly install something on a flashdrive, after using it I checked and the flashdrive was empty.

Kaspersky rescue disk and Eset rescue live CD won't boot. I get the opening screen and nothing else. I used Rufus. Should I try something other than that?

Despite DrWeb live CD coming with its own exe that supposedly configures the flashdrive correctly, it still won't boot. It gives me 2 partitions. Booting from Partition1 I get an opening screen only, Partition2 give me nothing.

Any ideas?
Well that is certainly odd. With ventoy you need to copy ISO to Ventoy partition and you're done.Have you tried using F12 before Branding Splash screen shows up and select flash drive you're using. May I know which scheme the disk is partitioned say MBR or GPT? I usually use MBR.
In Rufus there is a cheat mode which allows legacy or uefi boot by using Alt-E keyboard shortcut which allows single drive to work correctly in efi and non-efi mode.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 31, 2021, 02:34 PM
Well that is certainly odd. With ventoy you need to copy ISO to Ventoy partition and you're done.Have you tried using F12 before Branding Splash screen shows up and select flash drive you're using. May I know which scheme the disk is partitioned say MBR or GPT? I usually use MBR.
In Rufus there is a cheat mode which allows legacy or uefi boot by using Alt-E keyboard shortcut which allows single drive to work correctly in efi and non-efi mode.

Thanks for the tip regarding Ventoy. To run a test a I prepared a flashdrive with Ventoy and copied Strelec's ISO to its root directory. It booted perfectly, no issues. Sadly this was not the case with Kaspersky nor Eset sysrescue. On Kaspersky after the green screen it gave me an error message (wrong signature). On ESET the full screen comes on with a tiny menu in the upper left hand corner. When you select the default nothing happens. The ESET screen stays and no more changes.

I then googled Kaspersky's site for instructions on booting krd.iso from flashdrive. Despite following explicit instructions on using Rufus, the ISO still refused to boot. After selecting English the screen goes black and stays that way. I've been booting ISO's from flashdrives for quite a while and I've never encounter anything more boot-resistant than these two.

With respect to F12, do you mean the motherboard's boot menu where you see the devices? If so my MSI board uses F11, all the Asus boards I've had use F8. Same menu, different keys.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. What did you do to get these 2 ISO's to boot?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on January 01, 2022, 05:47 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 31, 2021, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the tip regarding Ventoy. To run a test a I prepared a flashdrive with Ventoy and copied Strelec's ISO to its root directory. It booted perfectly, no issues. Sadly this was not the case with Kaspersky nor Eset sysrescue. On Kaspersky after the green screen it gave me an error message (wrong signature). On ESET the full screen comes on with a tiny menu in the upper left hand corner. When you select the default nothing happens. The ESET screen stays and no more changes.

I then googled Kaspersky's site for instructions on booting krd.iso from flashdrive. Despite following explicit instructions on using Rufus, the ISO still refused to boot. After selecting English the screen goes black and stays that way. I've been booting ISO's from flashdrives for quite a while and I've never encounter anything more boot-resistant than these two.

With respect to F12, do you mean the motherboard's boot menu where you see the devices? If so my MSI board uses F11, all the Asus boards I've had use F8. Same menu, different keys.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. What did you do to get these 2 ISO's to boot?
For Kaspersky there is some special notes for ventoy. You can see it at the end of the page. https://www.ventoy.net/en/isolist.html
KRD work in legacy flawlessly and not in EFI w/o some tweak. I use Dr. WebLiveCD in case ESET and Kaspersky fails.
Then again what is the size of USB flash drive? I'm using 32GB. But greater than 64GB USB flash drive has some trouble detecting or working with USB boot. You may want to split the partition and don't format the new partition and keep it RAW/Unformatted.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on January 03, 2022, 05:42 PM
For Kaspersky there is some special notes for ventoy. You can see it at the end of the page. https://www.ventoy.net/en/isolist.html

To summarize, the note reads "So in UEFI mode, after the kaspersky boot menu was shown, you need to run set check_signatures=no in the grub shell before boot." The only problem is that it doesn't tell you how to do that. The only boot menu I get with Kaspersky is English or Pуccкий -- I pick English and the screen goes black. You can see it's trying to boot but not getting anywhere. I even used UltraIso to burn a CD and not even that worked, i.e., the symptoms are identical.

KRD work in legacy flawlessly and not in EFI w/o some tweak. I use Dr. WebLiveCD in case ESET and Kaspersky fails.
Then again what is the size of USB flash drive? I'm using 32GB. But greater than 64GB USB flash drive has some trouble detecting or working with USB boot. You may want to split the partition and don't format the new partition and keep it RAW/Unformatted.

There is no question there is severe incompatibility somewhere, probably (as you say) all it knows about is the old BIOS and not today's UEFI. If so they better fix this, the sooner the better. I used 32GB flashdrive and even an old 8GB drive. Nothing worked. Sadly, WebLiveCD didn't work either. Same symptoms.

I should also mention that, as we all know, flashdrives 32GB and smaller are becoming harder and harder to get and are destined to go the way of the dinosaur. All the more reason for these guys to modernize their programs.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on January 04, 2022, 04:50 AM

To summarize, the note reads "So in UEFI mode, after the kaspersky boot menu was shown, you need to run set check_signatures=no in the grub shell before boot." The only problem is that it doesn't tell you how to do that. The only boot menu I get with Kaspersky is English or Poccуя -- I pick English and the screen goes black. You can see it's trying to boot but not getting anywhere. I even used UltraIso to burn a CD and not even that worked, i.e., the symptoms are identical.

There is no question there is severe incompatibility somewhere, probably (as you say) all it knows about is the old BIOS and not today's UEFI. If so they better fix this, the sooner the better. I used 32GB flashdrive and even an old 8GB drive. Nothing worked. Sadly, WebLiveCD didn't work either. Same symptoms.

I should also mention that, as we all know, flashdrives 32GB and smaller are becoming harder and harder to get and are destined to go the way of the dinosaur. All the more reason for these guys to modernize their programs.
KRD EFI didn't work for me as well. KRD was working through legacy USB boot.
BIOS/EFI backward compatibility is the cause of the issue and not every BIOS/EFI can boot more than 128GB FAT32 in single partition. I think 32GB/64GB should work with exFAT/NTFS.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on January 05, 2022, 04:48 PM
BIOS/EFI backward compatibility is the cause of the issue and not every BIOS/EFI can boot more than 128GB FAT32 in single partition. I think 32GB/64GB should work with exFAT/NTFS.

It it were just Kaspersky! None of the antivirus live CD's you suggested actually booted. Are these people living in the past or is there something about UEFI that interferes with antivirus suites? All I can think of is secure boot. My secure boot is disabled and other ISO's such as Strelec or Parted Magic have no problem booting.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on January 06, 2022, 05:05 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on January 05, 2022, 04:48 PM

It it were just Kaspersky! None of the antivirus live CD's you suggested actually booted. Are these people living in the past or is there something about UEFI that interferes with antivirus suites? All I can think of is secure boot. My secure boot is disabled and other ISO's such as Strelec or Parted Magic have no problem booting.
Yikes! Do you have nvidia GPU  as primary display? Nvidia drivers aren't included in those.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on January 06, 2022, 03:42 PM
Yikes! Do you have nvidia GPU  as primary display? Nvidia drivers aren't included in those.

I have a relatively old Nvidia GTX-970 which I bought several years ago. Unless you have money to burn don't even think of upgrading it, at least not at this time.  In any case, I'm not clear what any of this has to do with antivirus live CD's. I have yet to find one that boots on my system.

The only antivirus that might work is the one on the Parted Magic live CD. It started fine but it's confusing. I couldn't get it to do a scan.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on January 08, 2022, 05:39 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on January 06, 2022, 03:42 PM

I have a relatively old Nvidia GTX-970 which I bought several years ago. Unless you have money to burn don't even think of upgrading it, at least not at this time.  In any case, I'm not clear what any of this has to do with antivirus live CD's. I have yet to find one that boots on my system.

The only antivirus that might work is the one on the Parted Magic live CD. It started fine but it's confusing. I couldn't get it to do a scan.
I use 980M Alienware and its working fine for me. I will be moving to new laptop this year or next year depending on prices. I don't like paying extra import fees etc..
Have you checked if Asus has released new BIOS?