• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Virtual Machines

Started by humbert, May 08, 2023, 06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

The other day I saw a new copy of VMWare on the torrents to I decided to bring down a copy and test it. This thing is great. Guests run much faster and are more stable than on VirtualBox. Yet I'm having more trouble with Linux Mint than with Windows.

I'm wondering: When configuring a guest, VMWare wants to know the number of processors and cores. I'm not too clear as to what to put down. My i9-10890K is 1 processor with 10 cores, 20 threads. I'm noticing that on VMWare any number of processors and cores that adds up to 16 or less will work. Shouldn't VMWare detect my configuration and act accordingly? VirtualBox allows me to put down as many as 10 cores and doesn't ask about processors. I'm not too clear why this is even on there at all. Can anyone explain?

It took a real weird hack to get Mint to see my network drives, no issue on Windows. Also, copy/pasting between host and guest isn't working on Mint, and neither is the sound card. This despite both being enabled in the VM's configuration. No issue on Windows.

Who can give me some help on this?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 08, 2023, 06:48 AM1 processor with 10 cores, 20 threads
It seems you have more than enough.

Quote from: humbert on May 08, 2023, 06:48 AMVirtualBox allows me to put down as many as 10 cores and doesn't ask about processors. I'm not too clear why this is even on there at all. Can anyone explain?
Weirdly enough I can set 32 cores (with Vwmare player), even if I have far fewer cores. I just keep the configuration by default with 2 cores...

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 08, 2023, 08:46 PMWeirdly enough I can set 32 cores (with Vwmare player), even if I have far fewer cores. I just keep the configuration by default with 2 cores...

I just tested that. It gives me an error message that the VM may not work correctly with this setting (anything above 16 cores). Why do you give the VM only 2 cores if your CPU has more? It's not like the cores are "locked in" to the VM. The host OS keeps working OK. Also, I can't understand why the settings on the main program (not the player) let's you choose how many processors and how many cores, yet the player only shows cores.

Do you or anyone else play around with distros of Linux on VMware? I like Linux Mint. I'm asking because I can't copy/paste from host to guest, and the sound card doesn't work either. This despite the fact that both settings are correct. With Windows hosts everything works. I would guess distros of Linux would be less of a problem on VM's. It works OK on VirtualBox. Let me keep Googling, I might find an answer somewhere.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 09, 2023, 04:59 AM
Quote from: scarface on May 08, 2023, 08:46 PMWeirdly enough I can set 32 cores (with Vwmare player), even if I have far fewer cores. I just keep the configuration by default with 2 cores...

I just tested that. It gives me an error message that the VM may not work correctly with this setting (anything above 16 cores). Why do you give the VM only 2 cores if your CPU has more? It's not like the cores are "locked in" to the VM. The host OS keeps working OK. Also, I can't understand why the settings on the main program (not the player) let's you choose how many processors and how many cores, yet the player only shows cores.

Do you or anyone else play around with distros of Linux on VMware? I like Linux Mint. I'm asking because I can't copy/paste from host to guest, and the sound card doesn't work either. This despite the fact that both settings are correct. With Windows hosts everything works. I would guess distros of Linux would be less of a problem on VM's. It works OK on VirtualBox. Let me keep Googling, I might find an answer somewhere.
Both VBox and VMware needs drivers which they used to try installing automatically post OS install, now you need manually trigger Vmware tools install and Vbox Tools for video and sound drivers which are basic.
Another thing is use WSL2 with GUI following the guide here https://medium.com/@japheth.yates/the-complete-wsl2-gui-setup-2582828f4577
The author used Ubuntu image from Windows Store,you can replace with Linux Mint main edition and swap this step (sudo tasksel install xubuntu-desktop) with (sudo tasksel install mint-desktop) which install linux mint DE.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on May 21, 2023, 09:09 PMBoth VBox and VMware needs drivers which they used to try installing automatically post OS install, now you need manually trigger Vmware tools install and Vbox Tools for video and sound drivers which are basic.

I aware of that. In fact if you don't install VMware Tools or VirtualBox extension pack, there's not much you can do. The only issue that remains is copying/pasting to and from Linux Mint. It works OK with Win11 under VMWare.

Quote from: Vasudev on May 21, 2023, 09:09 PMAnother thing is use WSL2 with GUI following the guide here https://medium.com/@japheth.yates/the-complete-wsl2-gui-setup-2582828f4577
The author used Ubuntu image from Windows Store,you can replace with Linux Mint main edition and swap this step (sudo tasksel install xubuntu-desktop) with (sudo tasksel install mint-desktop) which install linux mint DE.

I've been having trouble with Windows11 WSL2 or anything else that comes from the Windows Store or Windows Update. When updating and/or installing installing something from the Windows Store, I've had to do it manually. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'd love to stick with Win10 forever that but, as usual, that's virtually impossible. The lappie alone has newer hardware not supported by Win10.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Are you able to run a full, graphical copy of Ubuntu under WSL2 without needing a VM program? I'm asking because so far I've haven't been able to get past the terminal.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 22, 2023, 04:45 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on May 21, 2023, 09:09 PMBoth VBox and VMware needs drivers which they used to try installing automatically post OS install, now you need manually trigger Vmware tools install and Vbox Tools for video and sound drivers which are basic.

I aware of that. In fact if you don't install VMware Tools or VirtualBox extension pack, there's not much you can do. The only issue that remains is copying/pasting to and from Linux Mint. It works OK with Win11 under VMWare.

Quote from: Vasudev on May 21, 2023, 09:09 PMAnother thing is use WSL2 with GUI following the guide here https://medium.com/@japheth.yates/the-complete-wsl2-gui-setup-2582828f4577

I've been having trouble with Windows11 WSL2 or anything else that comes from the Windows Store or Windows Update. When updating and/or installing installing something from the Windows Store, I've had to do it manually. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'd love to stick with Win10 forever that but, as usual, that's virtually impossible. The lappie alone has newer hardware not supported by Win10.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Are you able to run a full, graphical copy of Ubuntu under WSL2 without needing a VM program? I'm asking because so far I've haven't been able to get past the terminal.
Graphically I haven't tried in WSL2. I usually use terminal cmds for docker and that's it. Then in case if cmds are really complicated, I use Vscode's remote dev tools.
Have you tried doing repair install of Win11? WSL2 uses windows update as it downloads the images and kernel updates.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 08, 2023, 07:16 PMHave you tried doing repair install of Win11? WSL2 uses windows update as it downloads the images and kernel updates.
Every troubleshooter I've tried has failed. The ones included in the settings menu simply go off on a tangent and never address the problem itself. It's so bad that it even prompts you do download updates that are already installed. To make the problem worse, both WSL2 and the Store go through Windows update. I've managed to install some (but not all) updates and store programs manually. If you know of another troubleshooter out there that I haven't tried, I'm listening.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 09, 2023, 04:39 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 08, 2023, 07:16 PMHave you tried doing repair install of Win11? WSL2 uses windows update as it downloads the images and kernel updates.
Every troubleshooter I've tried has failed. The ones included in the settings menu simply go off on a tangent and never address the problem itself. It's so bad that it even prompts you do download updates that are already installed. To make the problem worse, both WSL2 and the Store go through Windows update. I've managed to install some (but not all) updates and store programs manually. If you know of another troubleshooter out there that I haven't tried, I'm listening.
Even I haven't found a reliable foolproof ones. Its a 50/50 chance of fixing it or makes it worse. Are you applying any Windows Firewall rules that blocks MSFT urls?

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 25, 2023, 10:31 PMEven I haven't found a reliable foolproof ones. Its a 50/50 chance of fixing it or makes it worse. Are you applying any Windows Firewall rules that blocks MSFT urls?

Good question. I checked the firewall rules. The ones that were manually put in are those for cracked apps and the ones installed by W10Privacy. From what I'm seeing these are designed to block telemetry. I'm don't see MSFT anywhere unless I'm looking in the wrong place. How would I know if any of these are being blocked in the firewall?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 26, 2023, 05:03 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 25, 2023, 10:31 PMEven I haven't found a reliable foolproof ones. Its a 50/50 chance of fixing it or makes it worse. Are you applying any Windows Firewall rules that blocks MSFT urls?

Good question. I checked the firewall rules. The ones that were manually put in are those for cracked apps and the ones installed by W10Privacy. From what I'm seeing these are designed to block telemetry. I'm don't see MSFT anywhere unless I'm looking in the wrong place. How would I know if any of these are being blocked in the firewall?
I use Windows Firewall control by binisoft/malwarebytes it can control which apps to allow/block.