• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Virtual Machines

Started by humbert, May 08, 2023, 06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on July 07, 2023, 09:07 PMI use Windows Firewall control by binisoft/malwarebytes it can control which apps to allow/block.

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea this thing existed. Let me check it out.

humbert

Have any of you guys played around with Hyper-V? I started doing that today, The setup menu is relatively easy but I could not get any VM to work. I'm seeing it can't be resized on the fly and I see no way to share a folder with the host OS.

Any ideas?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on January 24, 2024, 06:43 AMHave any of you guys played around with Hyper-V? I started doing that today, The setup menu is relatively easy but I could not get any VM to work. I'm seeing it can't be resized on the fly and I see no way to share a folder with the host OS.

Any ideas?

Did you follow any guides?

Normally you would just follow the setup guide and then unmount the iso after OS is installed.

For folder access you enable guest services after installing guest tools. Then when connecting and selecting resolution you attach the drive you are looking for.

What are you using the hypervisor for?

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 27, 2024, 09:46 PMDid you follow any guides?
Normally you would just follow the setup guide and then unmount the iso after OS is installed.
I didn't see a setup guide. Installing a VM is pretty straight forward. In fact it's not all that different from how it's done in VirtualBox or VMWare. It's just doesn't work unless I'm doing something wrong. I even Ubuntu under those preconfigured VM's they have. It appeared to install but when booted up got just a green screen.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 27, 2024, 09:46 PMWhat are you using the hypervisor for?
Just testing it. Not only did I not get it to work, it's garbage when compared to Vbox or VMware. You can't resize the screen on the fly, nor access a network drive, nor create a shared folder. It's garbage. Uninstalling.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on January 29, 2024, 05:03 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 27, 2024, 09:46 PMDid you follow any guides?
I didn't see a setup guide. Installing a VM is pretty straight forward. In fact it's not all that different from how it's done in VirtualBox or VMWare. It's just doesn't work unless I'm doing something wrong. I even Ubuntu under those preconfigured VM's they have. It appeared to install but when booted up got just a green screen.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 27, 2024, 09:46 PMWhat are you using the hypervisor for?
Just testing it. Not only did I not get it to work, it's garbage when compared to Vbox or VMware. You can't resize the screen on the fly, nor access a network drive, nor create a shared folder. It's garbage. Uninstalling.

What about it is garbage?
In my experience it's godtier compared to vbox. I'd not touch vbox unless I am using a pc that doesnt have vtx or vtd enabled.

You can resize the screen on the fly after guest tools is installed, same goes for network drive if you set up a network connection for the VM.

Shared folder would be using the remote tool you use to connect.

But yes, in my experience it is not really worth using linux in it unless you plan on using CLI.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 29, 2024, 09:14 PMWhat about it is garbage?
In my experience it's godtier compared to vbox. I'd not touch vbox unless I am using a pc that doesnt have vtx or vtd enabled.
You can resize the screen on the fly after guest tools is installed, same goes for network drive if you set up a network connection for the VM.
Shared folder would be using the remote tool you use to connect.

Interesting. It's clear I'm doing something wrong. You mentioned some guides. Is there a link to a good guide? Based on what you're saying it's worth a second look.

I had no idea Hyper-V had guest tools. In the program's walk-thru they're not mentioned anywhere -- unless I was looking in the wrong place.

Did you manage to install a downloaded ISO as a VM under Hyper-V (Linux or Windows) and get the damn thing to work? Or did you use one of the "pre-loaded" VM's on the quick start menu?

Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 29, 2024, 09:14 PMBut yes, in my experience it is not really worth using linux in it unless you plan on using CLI.

On WSL, CLI is pretty much all you've got (i.e, no GUI). You use it to install Linux apps. For example, I typed "sudo apt install gedit" and it downloaded and installed a fully working copy. I'm not seeing an icon anywhere, so just type "gedit" at the prompt to launch it.

Vasudev

Hyper V is quite different from VirtualBox. Most of the times I used UI to add disk space as VHD or even use premade HyperV images. It didn't slow my old dual core machine almost 6 years ago while testing Ubuntu VM. Hyper V does use a lot of disk space though. VBox can use Hyper V in case you have HyperV installed.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on February 16, 2024, 06:44 PMHyper V is quite different from VirtualBox. Most of the times I used UI to add disk space as VHD or even use premade HyperV images. It didn't slow my old dual core machine almost 6 years ago while testing Ubuntu VM. Hyper V does use a lot of disk space though. VBox can use Hyper V in case you have HyperV installed.

So you got the damn thing to work? I've been unable to unless, of course, I'm doing something wrong. Not even those that it downloads so you can try them out will work. Oh well.. at least VirtualBox works OK

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on February 17, 2024, 04:36 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on February 16, 2024, 06:44 PMHyper V is quite different from VirtualBox. Most of the times I used UI to add disk space as VHD or even use premade HyperV images. It didn't slow my old dual core machine almost 6 years ago while testing Ubuntu VM. Hyper V does use a lot of disk space though. VBox can use Hyper V in case you have HyperV installed.

So you got the damn thing to work? I've been unable to unless, of course, I'm doing something wrong. Not even those that it downloads so you can try them out will work. Oh well.. at least VirtualBox works OK
Oh I remember, if you have previously applied telemetry blocking rules via firewall try disabling them and re-run hyper V setup ie remove all existing OS virtual images and allocated disks. Some components gets downloaded via MSFT domain.
Not sure why its buggy on your end with Win 11 provided you have supported hardware.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on February 18, 2024, 07:14 PMOh I remember, if you have previously applied telemetry blocking rules via firewall try disabling them and re-run hyper V setup ie remove all existing OS virtual images and allocated disks. Some components gets downloaded via MSFT domain.
Not sure why its buggy on your end with Win 11 provided you have supported hardware.

I use Windows 10 Privacy to block telemetry through the firewall and the hosts file. I can't understand why only Hyper-V would be affected. This given the fact that their other VM's (Windows system for Android and Linux) run with no issues. I'm probably doing something wrong somewhere. Even so I decided not to bother with it. VirtualBox runs great. The only thing I've been unable to do with it is install MacOS as a VM. I downloaded a copy with instructions but unfortunately I couldn't get the damn thing to work.

When you say "virtual OS images" do you include those that run under VirtualBox as well? I don't have any under Hyper-V.

Incidentally, have you guys tried Windows system for Android? This thing is truly a piece of work! You can run Android apps in separate windows as if they were native Windows apps themselves. You can sideload any apk and even talk to the subsystem using Google's platform tools. If you have an Android phone this thing is a must. BTW I use a rooted modded copy and it works great. It includes Magisk for root and Gapps with Google Play Store and anything Google.