• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

CheatEngine 6.2 (A bit about bit-hacking)

Started by Daniil, May 07, 2013, 10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniil

At the end of this April, I had found an interesting and usefull program.
I'm interested in a bit-hacking (scarface, respects to you!) and from time to time improving my skills in this. So, at the end of previous month, I was asked by my friends to uhmmm... Well, modify  ;) one MMO game.
The main thing was to change some parameters in memory to give to the character in a game abilities to follow Lenin's words words "Better! Faster!! Stronger!!!"  ;D
I had tried to do this with C++, and almost wrote a memory manager, but...  Found that for correct and effective memory management I'd create a whole library.
I'm very lazy (well, sys.admin, especially russian sys.admin MUST be lazy!) So, that wasn't correct way for me. :) And I had started to search a tools. And I found it.

It is a CheatEngine 6.2 (link will throw you to official site.)
This is effective and easy to use tool for creating cheats and hacks in a games.
It allows to:
-seek and modify parameters in memory image of running process
-insert a blocks of Assembler code into a memory of working process
-inspect commands and values in process memory
-debug process with an integrated debugger
-create a simple standalone hack utilites automatically
-create a complex standalone hack utilites by the integrated LUA script console
-and more and more dirty things!  :D

Main advantage of CheatEngine - simplicity. It's easy to use, for make your first hack you shouldn't know any specific computer knowledges, just understanding the principals - change a value in a target process, search that value in memory, lock it, fix it.
But, if you need more, CheatEngine can give you more, it is not like a classic debugger like, for example, OllyDebugger, but can do almost all as Olly can do, just in unusual way.
Other advantages - a lot of tutorials on different languages (I found good russian tutorial after 10 minutes in Google, also I have seen french, italian and even japanese tutorials), a lot of functions, integrated LUA, effective and fast memory scan algorythm.

Main disadvantages - as for me, stupid function descriptions and very poor wiki. Integrated LUA has a lot of functions, they described in attached .hlp-file, but in very non-systematic and incomplete manner.

Also, as I understand, many modern games have a lot of defence mechanisms, preserving it from bit-hacking. Debugger of CheatEngine (in fact as well as any other debugger) couldn't attach to their processes, and many CheatEngine functions becomes unusable. Also, many large games like an MMO with lots of objects in memory uses a dynamic memory for storing vital parameters, and because of this it becomes difficult to create a proper hack utility.

scarface

I dont do hacking, Im not interested in it. Your application is more a cheating stuff.
And if you modify an opensource application its not hacking.
real hackers are essentialy professionals, and they test system securities. Others are cyber terrorists.

Daniil

Well, in this case I used therm hacking as a technical, not a law therm. Maybe that's not quite correct, as it's ofthen happens whis computer therms translated to russian. We calls memory modifying, no matter what is the goal of that action, bit-hacking (because we "illegally" changes values in memory of other process).
I agreed with you about real hackers.
Also, dear comrade, why you so frightening when I talks about hacking? Is it because of european "implicit control"? I heared that in Europe anything that you speaks could be easily aware the police (by denunciation), and they could start to "take stock" on you...

Shadow.97

Used this program to modify games and such(speedhack) and to change money-values
Can be used to bypass login servers(/could) on Warcraft 3, and works to change name in games(such as WC3), you can modify scores etc super-easy.
Many tutorials on how to do things are available online.
I strongly recommend this program for the basics. Knowing how to get the correct numbers can be a pain though.

+Built in tutorial on application.