• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

MultiBoot / SingleBoot USB Creation

Started by usmangujjar, October 06, 2013, 09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

When it comes to USB multiboot programs, so far the best I've found is Xboot. I have a multiboot USB drive that has Acronis True Image, Parted Magic, Ultimate Boot CD and Hirens. I could not get all these to work with Yumi, but Xboot did work. Still it's not perfect, I tried to add Strelec's Windows 10PE to the mix but I would not boot. I added Hirens only because there was space left over on the USB stick. It hasn't been updated and it's all but useless. Who know, maybe some day somebody will ask me to troubleshoot an old computer.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 25, 2017, 03:57 AM
When it comes to USB multiboot programs, so far the best I've found is Xboot. I have a multiboot USB drive that has Acronis True Image, Parted Magic, Ultimate Boot CD and Hirens. I could not get all these to work with Yumi, but Xboot did work. Still it's not perfect, I tried to add Strelec's Windows 10PE to the mix but I would not boot. I added Hirens only because there was space left over on the USB stick. It hasn't been updated and it's all but useless. Who know, maybe some day somebody will ask me to troubleshoot an old computer.
I use Yumi 2.0.4.6 and Yumi UEFI 0.0.0.4 and not newer versions of YUMI because they break everything.
I have Kaspersky and Dr. Web livecd, Sergei strelec, UBCD, HBCD, Xubuntu 16,Windows 10 and boot repair x64.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 02, 2017, 08:11 AM
I have Kaspersky and Dr. Web livecd, Sergei strelec, UBCD, HBCD, Xubuntu 16,Windows 10 and boot repair x64.

All on the same flashdrive? I couldn't get Strelec to work on a multi-boot USB.

I refuse to believe you're using HBCD (Hirens) on your new lappie. HBCD is very obsolete and, as far as I know, hasn't been updated. Besides, Strelec is infinitely better and works great on newer computers.

Are you able to get Linux-based live CD's to boot without having to enter boot parameters to bypass the Nvidia issue?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 04, 2017, 02:42 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 02, 2017, 08:11 AM

All on the same flashdrive? I couldn't get Strelec to work on a multi-boot USB.

I refuse to believe you're using HBCD (Hirens) on your new lappie. HBCD is very obsolete and, as far as I know, hasn't been updated. Besides, Strelec is infinitely better and works great on newer computers.

Are you able to get Linux-based live CD's to boot without having to enter boot parameters to bypass the Nvidia issue?
HBCD doesn't work on Skylake and above. Try unlisted ISO option using SYSLINUX in YUMI 2.0.4. Workaround after booting successfully is mount Strelec ISO from ISO folder every time for it to work. Try this.
Ubuntu 16.04 detects Optimus based PCs and switches to Intel iGPU during installing. BTW, I'm running on 4.13 kernel via Syanptic pkg manager. 4.13 is available to Ubuntu 16 for day to day usage. Battery life life on Skylake is consistent upto 7-8 hrs on iGPU and 2-3 hrs on dGPU 980M(drivers aren't mature even though its nvidia proprietary driver)

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 04, 2017, 09:40 AM
HBCD doesn't work on Skylake and above. Try unlisted ISO option using SYSLINUX in YUMI 2.0.4. Workaround after booting successfully is mount Strelec ISO from ISO folder every time for it to work. Try this.
Ubuntu 16.04 detects Optimus based PCs and switches to Intel iGPU during installing. BTW, I'm running on 4.13 kernel via Syanptic pkg manager. 4.13 is available to Ubuntu 16 for day to day usage. Battery life life on Skylake is consistent upto 7-8 hrs on iGPU and 2-3 hrs on dGPU 980M(drivers aren't mature even though its nvidia proprietary driver)

I'm not too clear what you're trying to explain, so let me ask you some questions:

What is the problem with Yumi and why do you prefer old versions? My complaint about Yumi is that one time I used it to boot Acronis ISO and it gave me this "trial version" garbage despite this being an official cracked version that works perfectly on Xboot. Did it call home to check or what?

Mount Strelec? I don't follow you. Sure, you can mount the ISO but that doesn't do anything. You have to boot from Strelec.

Every time I try to boot a live CD from any distro of Linux, even Parted Magic, it goes into a bootloop. This is a video card issue, due [I believe] to the fact that Nvidia refuses to provide basic drivers for their cards. To boot up you have to hit the Tab key. When you see boot parameters, add "nouveau.modeset=0" and it'll boot up in straight VGA (low resolution). It wasn't always this way, years ago there was never a problem. Do you know of a solution other than buying another video card?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 05, 2017, 02:52 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 04, 2017, 09:40 AM

I'm not too clear what you're trying to explain, so let me ask you some questions:

What is the problem with Yumi and why do you prefer old versions? My complaint about Yumi is that one time I used it to boot Acronis ISO and it gave me this "trial version" garbage despite this being an official cracked version that works perfectly on Xboot. Did it call home to check or what?

Mount Strelec? I don't follow you. Sure, you can mount the ISO but that doesn't do anything. You have to boot from Strelec.

Every time I try to boot a live CD from any distro of Linux, even Parted Magic, it goes into a bootloop. This is a video card issue, due [I believe] to the fact that Nvidia refuses to provide basic drivers for their cards. To boot up you have to hit the Tab key. When you see boot parameters, add "nouveau.modeset=0" and it'll boot up in straight VGA (low resolution). It wasn't always this way, years ago there was never a problem. Do you know of a solution other than buying another video card?
YUMI 2.4 and uefi version 0.0.3 works along with each other. Newer version destroys my custom entries.
I boot using Unlisted option with SYSlinux bootloader and afterwards you get a lot of errors after booting to w8/w10 desktop  and mount ISO of strelec for that Minst.exe utilities to work on any PC.
I use macrium reflect for imaging,cloning and everything. Its the absolute best.
I've linux distro installed. Nouveau doesn't work out of the box so I installed nvidia drivers from launchpad.net to get it working. Its on 387.xx driver. Nvidia needs secure boot to be disabled. https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 18, 2017, 06:56 AM
YUMI 2.4 and uefi version 0.0.3 works along with each other. Newer version destroys my custom entries.

I gotta check out Yumi 2.4. As for UEFI 0.0.3, is this a firmware version of UEFI? To me the fact that the mobo has UEFI is transparent. I disable secure boot and enable CSM (support for "legacy" devices). Secure boot is unnecessary unless you're in a situation where many people touch your computer.

I use macrium reflect for imaging,cloning and everything. Its the absolute best.

Do you use the free version or do you have a "paid" version? What does the "paid" version do that the free doesn't?

I've linux distro installed. Nouveau doesn't work out of the box so I installed nvidia drivers from launchpad.net to get it working. Its on 387.xx driver. Nvidia needs secure boot to be disabled. https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

What distro do you have. Of all the ones I've tried, in my opinion none is better than Mint. Using "nomodeset" as a bootup parameter is necessary for installation and initial bootup. After you install Nvidia drivers then you're in business. I've had the nomodeset problem with all distros of Linux, probably because Nvidia refuses to release any of its proprietary code.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 20, 2017, 06:38 AM

I gotta check out Yumi 2.4. As for UEFI 0.0.3, is this a firmware version of UEFI? To me the fact that the mobo has UEFI is transparent. I disable secure boot and enable CSM (support for "legacy" devices). Secure boot is unnecessary unless you're in a situation where many people touch your computer.

Do you use the free version or do you have a "paid" version? What does the "paid" version do that the free doesn't?

What distro do you have. Of all the ones I've tried, in my opinion none is better than Mint. Using "nomodeset" as a bootup parameter is necessary for installation and initial bootup. After you install Nvidia drivers then you're in business. I've had the nomodeset problem with all distros of Linux, probably because Nvidia refuses to release any of its proprietary code.
If you have w10 in legacy mode with secure boot disabled then install Xubuntu 16 in the same way.
I use Sergei Strelec W10's Macrium Reflect, so its pirated.
I didn't use nomodeset whilst installing linux.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 20, 2017, 11:32 AM
If you have w10 in legacy mode with secure boot disabled then install Xubuntu 16 in the same way.

I'll give both of these a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't think we're on the same page. Every time I try to boot anything Linux from any media, it goes into a bootloop. I googled around and found out that this is a video card issue. It seems Nvidia insists even its most generic drivers will be proprietary and are therefore not included in the Linux ISO. When it attempts to load a video driver the whole thing crashes. To make it boot you have to hit the Tab key to get the bootup parameters. At the end you type "nouveau.nomodeset=0" or just "nomodeset" followed by Ctrl-X and Enter. The OS now boots with just plain VGA. Once you install once again you have to do the same thing to start your new OS. Now you can go in and manually install Nvidia drivers. This cures the problem permanently.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 21, 2017, 06:35 AM

I'll give both of these a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't think we're on the same page. Every time I try to boot anything Linux from any media, it goes into a bootloop. I googled around and found out that this is a video card issue. It seems Nvidia insists even its most generic drivers will be proprietary and are therefore not included in the Linux ISO. When it attempts to load a video driver the whole thing crashes. To make it boot you have to hit the Tab key to get the bootup parameters. At the end you type "nouveau.nomodeset=0" or just "nomodeset" followed by Ctrl-X and Enter. The OS now boots with just plain VGA. Once you install once again you have to do the same thing to start your new OS. Now you can go in and manually install Nvidia drivers. This cures the problem permanently.
Which is your intel CPu and nvidia gpu?