• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows XP Support

Started by Maher, June 21, 2011, 11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holdqwer

Thanks for all your effort and attention.

Just wanted to let people know that I am booting/installing the cd image I downloaded from a DVD. I didn't read the entire thread but it's worth mentioning again.

Easy enough to do in nero, just change media type after opening ISO image.

Some parts of the world DVD media is WAY cheaper than CD.

Thanks again

sherlock

Quote from: Cojon on September 18, 2011, 06:40 AM
I have no idea what I'm doing. This, like all forums except a few, is so horribly confusing to new people they generally flee like rats in a fire. 

What appears to be the front page of the windows help portion of this has text to "post here" but as always, and in absolute frustration I poke and click on every designated pixel I see but nothing opens a method allowing that action.  So here I am. Not as directed, but in the absence of a front door, I was forced to walk through the kitchen--or perhaps the window would be more descriptive.  Yes, I know I will be insulted by someone assuming that "everyone know how to post to a forum" but the factual, intelligent reality is quite the opposite. Many would be as lost as I and simply turn around and flee like rats from a fire finding that confusion.

OK, enough of that.

I'm trying to find someone who knows what needs to be extracted from a Windows black edition to make a Micro XP setup run with that theme. I presume it is from Vista or 7. 

While I'm certain I can do it, I'm in my seventies and prefer writing books over coding as my short term memory--as expected--has been exhibiting some synaptic wilting and that makes coding and OS investigation extremely tedious, overly frustrating, and far too time consuming for me to find enjoyable as I did in my youth. I probably don't drink enough beer and far too much Dr. Pepper to keep my brain well lubed.   

Anyway...
About five years ago I took XP apart and whittled it down to size so the kernel (or sort of the kernel--it's windows you know) could live contentedly on a 1.5Gib volume, dropping the usual suspects, and allowing the other stuff an escape to volumes of their own.  I built in some extra space (and still have a lot of room left) for apps that I could not coax into believing that M: was actually C:. 

I finally got so discouraged with the bloody bug invasion and coders willing to make a living by disturbing the rest of us, I went to this trouble.  It worked well however and has been absolutely rock solid and virus free since.  I just wish I could get well advertised as stable Linux to be stable . . . and fast. Fedora was solid but I'm getting on in years and punch too many wrong keys with fingers suffering from arthritis. I prefer a decent GUI at my age. I tried a few other Linux distros and settled on Ubuntu--mostly for the Gnome GUI desktop I suppose. 

Ha! Linux was faster initially--before I began carving that is. Now XP is the screamer, and solid too!  I did a search and found your site and the Micro XP. I'm happy to know someone else has gone through that and I'm pleased to see him offer it as a download. I suppose I should look at it. I presume from what I have read that it is superbly and tightly done.   

I do run a few Mib's in pagefile.sys on F: drive (XP's current home) and 328Kib's in three files on F:\Program files, but have 70Gib's in M:\Programs where XP and 7 share the installed apps.  I did roughly the same with 7 getting it down to about 4Gib's but it never achieved the rock stability I had with XP and I brought it back up to 8Gib's retaining the bulk of it and moving only program files, doc&sett, the swap and the temp stuff as I did with windows. I didn't have a lot of luck kicking the junk out without something screaming bloody murder, and decided it was easier to ignore 7 and use Linux (now 10.04 LTS) and XP.

It was all reasonably easy, just basic registry and environment stuff, a silent install, batch files and scripting, but I don't think it's in my cars to do again. 

That provided a stable platform and I made a 2Tib quad booter on a 2.4GB intell CPU in an old Dell case.  I stuck on a Linux and Hackintosh OS, and was pretty content, save for the speed. Linux is really quite pretty, and I find myself enjoying the darker themes. The Mac was my graphic machine. That was then, and now with Photoshop CS5, Bibble and some of the OnOne apps and Topaz, and tons of raw photo stuff that can be 35Mib's as well as huge Tiff's I have changed things. I dropped the Hackintosh, and revised Windows XP and 7 a bit more, but I would like to get XP's appearance up a bit.   

I was here thinking I would have to do it all over again, stripping a system of the theme and then adding it to mine, but after checking out the Micro XP and wandering around online I see that it just may be possible to either find what I need ready to go, or some assistance to create a black theme that looks like Vista in my skinny old XP. 

It wouldn't hurt if you could direct me to a complete set of instructions or where I could download a stripped Win 7 with stability and cured of it's bad habit of being upset at every little thing! Fussy OS that 7.

Many thanks!

are you okay? lol

ياسمينة دمشقية

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

انا حملت أحدث تورينت لك
Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP3.Integrated.September.2011.SATA.By.Maher.[www.nomaher.com]

وحاولت انصب جهاز وهمي عن طريق برنامج 

VMware Workstation

لكن يطلب مني سيريال ؟؟؟؟؟

connorsmit

Hey I downloaded the Windows XP Professional SP3 from Pirate Bay and i am trying to load it into Parallels, it prompts me for the key once it installs and reboots, is there any way you could post the key?

marcelofa

¿Está en español?
:-[ Sorry, this in spanish?

holdqwer

I tried to install this on  an AMD processor based system. (dual core x2 something or other)

I got the dreaded IntelPPM infinite reboot issue after install from SP3. Any body else have a work around for this issue?

Is the base of this release an HP OEM source? Apparently HP had a hell of a time with AMD systems after SP3 rollout.

TIA

Maher

Quote from: Cojon on September 18, 2011, 06:40 AM
I have no idea what I'm doing. This, like all forums except a few, is so horribly confusing to new people they generally flee like rats in a fire. 

What appears to be the front page of the windows help portion of this has text to "post here" but as always, and in absolute frustration I poke and click on every designated pixel I see but nothing opens a method allowing that action.  So here I am. Not as directed, but in the absence of a front door, I was forced to walk through the kitchen--or perhaps the window would be more descriptive.  Yes, I know I will be insulted by someone assuming that "everyone know how to post to a forum" but the factual, intelligent reality is quite the opposite. Many would be as lost as I and simply turn around and flee like rats from a fire finding that confusion.

OK, enough of that.

I'm trying to find someone who knows what needs to be extracted from a Windows black edition to make a Micro XP setup run with that theme. I presume it is from Vista or 7. 

While I'm certain I can do it, I'm in my seventies and prefer writing books over coding as my short term memory--as expected--has been exhibiting some synaptic wilting and that makes coding and OS investigation extremely tedious, overly frustrating, and far too time consuming for me to find enjoyable as I did in my youth. I probably don't drink enough beer and far too much Dr. Pepper to keep my brain well lubed.   

Anyway...
About five years ago I took XP apart and whittled it down to size so the kernel (or sort of the kernel--it's windows you know) could live contentedly on a 1.5Gib volume, dropping the usual suspects, and allowing the other stuff an escape to volumes of their own.  I built in some extra space (and still have a lot of room left) for apps that I could not coax into believing that M: was actually C:. 

I finally got so discouraged with the bloody bug invasion and coders willing to make a living by disturbing the rest of us, I went to this trouble.  It worked well however and has been absolutely rock solid and virus free since.  I just wish I could get well advertised as stable Linux to be stable . . . and fast. Fedora was solid but I'm getting on in years and punch too many wrong keys with fingers suffering from arthritis. I prefer a decent GUI at my age. I tried a few other Linux distros and settled on Ubuntu--mostly for the Gnome GUI desktop I suppose. 

Ha! Linux was faster initially--before I began carving that is. Now XP is the screamer, and solid too!  I did a search and found your site and the Micro XP. I'm happy to know someone else has gone through that and I'm pleased to see him offer it as a download. I suppose I should look at it. I presume from what I have read that it is superbly and tightly done.   

I do run a few Mib's in pagefile.sys on F: drive (XP's current home) and 328Kib's in three files on F:\Program files, but have 70Gib's in M:\Programs where XP and 7 share the installed apps.  I did roughly the same with 7 getting it down to about 4Gib's but it never achieved the rock stability I had with XP and I brought it back up to 8Gib's retaining the bulk of it and moving only program files, doc&sett, the swap and the temp stuff as I did with windows. I didn't have a lot of luck kicking the junk out without something screaming bloody murder, and decided it was easier to ignore 7 and use Linux (now 10.04 LTS) and XP.

It was all reasonably easy, just basic registry and environment stuff, a silent install, batch files and scripting, but I don't think it's in my cars to do again. 

That provided a stable platform and I made a 2Tib quad booter on a 2.4GB intell CPU in an old Dell case.  I stuck on a Linux and Hackintosh OS, and was pretty content, save for the speed. Linux is really quite pretty, and I find myself enjoying the darker themes. The Mac was my graphic machine. That was then, and now with Photoshop CS5, Bibble and some of the OnOne apps and Topaz, and tons of raw photo stuff that can be 35Mib's as well as huge Tiff's I have changed things. I dropped the Hackintosh, and revised Windows XP and 7 a bit more, but I would like to get XP's appearance up a bit.   

I was here thinking I would have to do it all over again, stripping a system of the theme and then adding it to mine, but after checking out the Micro XP and wandering around online I see that it just may be possible to either find what I need ready to go, or some assistance to create a black theme that looks like Vista in my skinny old XP. 

It wouldn't hurt if you could direct me to a complete set of instructions or where I could download a stripped Win 7 with stability and cured of it's bad habit of being upset at every little thing! Fussy OS that 7.

Many thanks!
Sorry, can't help you.
I don't work on themes and graphics and never wanted to change it.
When I used XP I always had the classic theme :)
Please, DO NOT send messages for support! Ask on the forums. Thank you.

http://maherz.softarchive.net/

Maher

Quote from: bongo on September 18, 2011, 06:09 PM
Hey man. Great forum!

Problem: just d/l your xp torrent, and it says you don't need product key.
But when installing, I get the prompt for it and can't continue without it.

Please advise.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I got it. Just in case it happens to somebody else, make sure you boot from CD.
Thanks again.
You're welcome ;)

Maher

Quote from: holdqwer on September 18, 2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all your effort and attention.

Just wanted to let people know that I am booting/installing the cd image I downloaded from a DVD. I didn't read the entire thread but it's worth mentioning again.

Easy enough to do in nero, just change media type after opening ISO image.

Some parts of the world DVD media is WAY cheaper than CD.

Thanks again
You're welcome ;)

Maher

Quote from: marcelofa on September 20, 2011, 01:00 AM
¿Está en español?
:-[ Sorry, this in spanish?
I know what that means :)
No, I don't know Spanish. But I use Google Translate!