• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows XP Support

Started by Maher, June 21, 2011, 11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacky

Quote from: humbert on October 18, 2012, 12:28 AM
Quote from: Blacky on October 17, 2012, 09:07 PM
In my line of work we have to format and reinstall Windows XP all the time and updating it is always time-consuming, that's why I opt for integrated versions that some great guys like you provide. I used to make these integrated versions myself for my work, but now I no longer have the time for it.

Why not put XP on those computers, put in drivers and all necessary stuff, then simply make a backup which will be restored once the need for reformatting arises? That way you've got a fully activated copy and all that remains is to install and configure the apps you're going to use.

What rules does your company have to follow so they can get past the software police? I assume they must have bought keys that'll work on multiple computers or something of that nature. Also, does your company have ancient computers? I'm asking because otherwise why would they stick to XP in the days of Windows 8?

- We do that, but XP, Net Framework and all the other things get updated rather often by MS, so even if I have a backup copy from 1 year ago, I still need to download 100 MB of updates. It's not the download that's the problem, but the long time it takes for all those updates to get installed. Even on a decent machine it still takes sometimes close to 30 min or even more to install the updates for . Net Framework for instance. Our programs also change all the time, so what we had 6 months ago, won't apply now and so on. All I need is a vanilla XP distribution with all updates integrated.

- It's not a policy, but all our computers were bought with OEM licenses and each new computer we buy has OEM licenses, so that's it. We have no Volume contract with MS.

- Some of the computers are old indeed but not very old. However, the programs we use are designed for XP and on Win 7 or Win 8 they don't work very well, as in, they work much more slower or have long loading times. We don't make those programs.

humbert

Quote from: Blacky on October 18, 2012, 06:47 PM
Some of the computers are old indeed but not very old. However, the programs we use are designed for XP and on Win 7 or Win 8 they don't work very well, as in, they work much more slower or have long loading times. We don't make those programs.

That's interesting. Off the top of your head give me a few example of programs that have trouble under Windows 8. The only one so far that I had a problem with was Intel's SSD optimizing software. Under W7 it runs great, but under W8 when you install it first it asks you to insert the interface as a command line switch. I then tried 'setup.exe -gui' - it did install but when I ran it all I got was error messages. Also, if you clean your registry (as I do), for now use only Yamicsoft's registry cleaner on their new W8-specific tuneup program. Using any other will do a major hatchet job. I found this out the hard way. :(

The funny part of all this is that M$ keeps saying that anything that ran well under W7 will work under W8. The registry cleaners I can understand, but all those other programs???

Blacky

We are talking about company specific programs, specially tailored for certain tasks, not things that you will find on the market.
A good idea would be to remake them, but considering the time and cost... it's just cheaper to just stick to XP.
Also, upgrading to 7 or 8 is not cheaper, why upgrade when everything you need to get done is done already perfectly under XP ?

So bottom line, no way I will ever see an integrated CD with XP Pro OEM or Retail right ?

humbert

Quote from: Blacky on October 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
We are talking about company specific programs, specially tailored for certain tasks, not things that you will find on the market.
A good idea would be to remake them, but considering the time and cost... it's just cheaper to just stick to XP.
Also, upgrading to 7 or 8 is not cheaper, why upgrade when everything you need to get done is done already perfectly under XP ?
So bottom line, no way I will ever see an integrated CD with XP Pro OEM or Retail right ?

Yes, it all makes perfect sense. I keep forgetting that one thing we pirates don't have to worry about is the cost of upgrading to a higher version of an OS  :) I imagine in a big company the cost of migrating to a higher version of an OS is one thing, it's quite another having to lose an infinite amount of time installing and configuring every computer, and of course training those people who aren't all that familiar with a new OS.

Did you say the Chief's XP doesn't meet your needs? If not, why not?

Blacky

Exactly!

You mean Maher's ? His XP is perfect, just that I need to use with a legit key and all my XP's are PRO OEM not Volume.

So I tried to convert his XP CD from Volume to OEM using this guide: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-change-windows-xp-version-between-retail-oem-and-volume-license-channel/

I think I did something wrong, because now the XP CD that I created, no longer accepts any CD-key, nor Maher's nor mine.
So maybe there is something more that I need to do... but not sure what.
I thought you guys might enlighten me.

Korey

Hey,

I installed XP and am currently installing 7 for my uncle, but I can't seem to find the internet icon at the bottom right of my screen.
My internet also does not work at all.
It works for everything else in my house but my laptop. :c
Do I need to install something ...?
Please help!
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost

humbert

Quote from: Korey on October 21, 2012, 04:38 AM
I installed XP and am currently installing 7 for my uncle, but I can't seem to find the internet icon at the bottom right of my screen.
My internet also does not work at all.
It works for everything else in my house but my laptop. :c
Do I need to install something ...?
Please help!

Are you using WiFi or a lan connection? Either way, the very first step is to go into Device Manager to make sure whatever device you're using is visible and working properly. If it's not then you might just be missing a driver or something. Check this first. If you find the device you're using works properly but you still can't connect, come back for more help and give us all the info you have.

Korey

Quote from: humbert on October 21, 2012, 04:55 AMAre you using WiFi or a lan connection? Either way, the very first step is to go into Device Manager to make sure whatever device you're using is visible and working properly. If it's not then you might just be missing a driver or something. Check this first. If you find the device you're using works properly but you still can't connect, come back for more help and give us all the info you have.

I have WiFi and a cable cord plugged into my laptop from my modem, yet it still doesn't work.
Honestly have no idea how to enable the WiFi, because it doesn't even show me the internet icon on the bottom of my screen. :c
All the devices say they're working just fine, too.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost

Ahmad

Are you sure you've installed all the drivers required for your laptop.. VGA, Sound, Net ...etc ?
You have to install your PC drivers after XP installation because this XP has SATA drivers only NOT all drivers.

If you don't have your driver's DVD that came with your PC, try DriverPack Solution.
It will help you installing the missing drivers.
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

Korey

Quote from: Ahmad on October 21, 2012, 09:40 AM
Are you sure you've installed all the drivers required for your laptop.. VGA, Sound, Net ...etc ?
You have to install your PC drivers after XP installation because this XP has SATA drivers only NOT all drivers.

If you don't have your driver's DVD that came with your PC, try DriverPack Solution.
It will help you installing the missing drivers.

You're a god, Ahmad.
Thanks, so, so, so, so much.
Hopefully this works. (: