• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What's your Browser (2nd incarnation)

Started by humbert, January 07, 2014, 04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Somebody opened up a topic with this subject a while ago. Since I couldn't find it, I opened a 2nd incaration of that subject.

I've often kidded guys who've posted new information, often telling them they've just discovered the existence of the Mediterranean or the Dead Sea. Maybe it's my turn this time.  :)

ANYWAY, if you're a Firefox user and are using any 64-bit version of Windows, do yourself a big favor and get Waterfox at this site. This is an amazing 64-bit Firefox clone. It's made by Mozilla and should not be confused with any Firefox x64 nightly builds. Waterfox uses the very same add-ons transparently. It does require 64-bit versions of Flash, Java and Silverlight, but no problem - there are links for all 3 on the Waterfox site.

When you install it, Waterfox sees and automatically imports your existing Firefox configuration, including all add-ons. Simply install the 64-bit plugins from the link and you're good to go. In my case all I installed is Flash. With Java all you see is warning messages, plus it's been a while since I've run into a site that uses Java. It also says on there you'll need MS Visual C++ 2010 (x64). Apparently Windows 8.1 already has this installed, Waterfox never asked for it.

Finally, you can safely delete regular Firefox and the 32-bit plugins, being sure NOT to click where it asks if you want to remove your options and configurations. Never in my life did I imagine I'd ever delete Firefox from my system! Check it out!

Shadow.97

FireFox in school for education Comodo dragon on my freetime.
Problem with firefox is that you cant change language without reinstalling as it installs in the weird language swedish nobody speaks.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 07, 2014, 08:53 AM
Problem with firefox is that you cant change language without reinstalling as it installs in the weird language swedish nobody speaks.

In other words, changing the language in Firefox is impossible. You have to download an English version, Swedish version, or whatever. Right? In that case then can't you have 2 versions installed in different directories? If so, wouldn't they both point to the same profile including addons and configuration?

Is this possible in other browsers?

Once again, if you run Firefox and any 64-bit Windows, do yourself a favor and get Waterfox. It's terrific!

iih

Shadow, give a try Waterfox then you have the terrific one, but DoN't run both Firefox and Waterfox at the same time
Waterfox shares the same profile data that Firefox does, this my experience.
eqso.orari-digital.org:8888 YBØIX

Shadow.97

Quote from: iih on February 15, 2014, 01:43 AM
Shadow, give a try Waterfox then you have the terrific one, but DoN't run both Firefox and Waterfox at the same time
Waterfox shares the same profile data that Firefox does, this my experience.
Heh. Well, using waterfox right now, the most annoying thing that has yet occured is that I cannot launch Battlefield 3 with the browser plugin as the broswer (as said) is 64 bit.  Another thing that disturbed me is that the browser cannot check for updates properly. Atleast not with a portable installation, which I prefer at the moment as I have it installed on Bittorrent sync.

humbert

All your complaints about Waterfox are justified, which is why I stopped using it and went back to Firefox. The whole concept of 64-bit browsing is great, but unfortunately it still needs some more work before they get it right.

humbert

I agree with what you said about posting and opening topics.

As for translating a PDF document, forget about using any kind of computer program or system - the technology is still not available. Often not even a human brain can come up with a good translation. If you absolutely MUST use something like Google translate then do small sentences at a time and piece them together. I warn you - translation might not be good.