• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 26, 2021, 04:41 PM
Yes shadow97 and humbert sometimes those .cpl shortcuts cause issues.
Check SSD health or run chkdsk /f /x c: Files missing isn't a good sign.

I had to reinstall. Not a clean install, I set it to keep my files. It solved the problem. The strange thing was that since I had Windows Defender disabled, this thing took Emsisoft EEK and actually turned it into another Windows Defender. I had to uninstall and put back the portable one that has to be run on demand. The reason was it was constantly giving me false positives and interfering with any attempt to stop telemetry. That why I hate Windows Defender.

BTW, to uninstall I found a little goodie called HiBit Uninstaller. It's the best uninstaller I've ever seen and, best of all, it's total freeware. Check it out.

EDIT: Looks like Win 11 will not run on skylake/kabylake and also first gen Ryzen CPUs. So I don't think I will be able to release custom Win 11 ISOs but will continue with Win 10 ISO.

I bet sooner or later all these bugs will be squashed. One thing I do like: there will be NO 32-bit release of Windows 11. It is all 64. Finally! This change is long overdue. Somewhere I heard that there are some distros of Linux who are doing the very same thing. How long has it been since anyone made a 32 bit CPU?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on June 26, 2021, 06:09 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on June 26, 2021, 01:16 AM
https://community.windows.com/en-us/conversations/godmode-shortcut-east-access-to-all-windows-settings/ca66bf1c-66a6-4380-9513-3eb7068e912b?from=search
You can also find links to specific items in the control panel thru some googling. The links to them are created the same way as in this tutorial

Yes, of course. The Godmode shortcut. I forgot all about it. It's OK. I noticed that there somehow there were quite a few .cpl files missing in the Windows/System32 folder. I decided to reinstall 21H2 keeping my files and that appeared to fix the problem. Somehow some important files and setting got deleted. The reinstall brought them all back.

It's a good idea to run sfc /scannow every few days. It always seems to find some corrupt files.

EDIT: Looks like Win 11 will not run on skylake/kabylake and also first gen Ryzen CPUs. So I don't think I will be able to release custom Win 11 ISOs but will continue with Win 10 ISO.
I wouldn't worry :) If it runs on 2000 ryzen someone will surely find a way to make it run on 1000 ryzen

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 27, 2021, 05:12 AM

I had to reinstall. Not a clean install, I set it to keep my files. It solved the problem. The strange thing was that since I had Windows Defender disabled, this thing took Emsisoft EEK and actually turned it into another Windows Defender. I had to uninstall and put back the portable one that has to be run on demand. The reason was it was constantly giving me false positives and interfering with any attempt to stop telemetry. That why I hate Windows Defender.

BTW, to uninstall I found a little goodie called HiBit Uninstaller. It's the best uninstaller I've ever seen and, best of all, it's total freeware. Check it out.

I bet sooner or later all these bugs will be squashed. One thing I do like: there will be NO 32-bit release of Windows 11. It is all 64. Finally! This change is long overdue. Somewhere I heard that there are some distros of Linux who are doing the very same thing. How long has it been since anyone made a 32 bit CPU?
I do use hibit nowadays. Except their reg cleaner all features are great! For registry I prefer Wise products.

humbert

Another problem with Windows 11 is Micro$haft's insistence of TPM 2.0 and (I believe) secure boot. Maybe I can live with TPM 2.0 assuming my board supports it. What I don't like is secure boot. I frequently boot from flashdrives to load Sergei Strelec's ISO plus a bunch of others according to need. As far as I know secure boot makes this impossible. I'd like to ask Micro$shaft what do I do if Windows won't boot and the only way to fix it is to boot Strelec to either attempt to fix it or do a full restore from backup.

BTW I'm thinking I might have to upgrade my laptop when Windows 11 goes full tilt. Hopefully it will not have Windows Home on it. You're forced to use a Microsoft account, which I hate to do.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 03, 2021, 04:55 AM
Another problem with Windows 11 is Micro$haft's insistence of TPM 2.0 and (I believe) secure boot. Maybe I can live with TPM 2.0 assuming my board supports it. What I don't like is secure boot. I frequently boot from flashdrives to load Sergei Strelec's ISO plus a bunch of others according to need. As far as I know secure boot makes this impossible. I'd like to ask Micro$shaft what do I do if Windows won't boot and the only way to fix it is to boot Strelec to either attempt to fix it or do a full restore from backup.

BTW I'm thinking I might have to upgrade my laptop when Windows 11 goes full tilt. Hopefully it will not have Windows Home on it. You're forced to use a Microsoft account, which I hate to do.
On my computer this secure boot is disabled since it won't let you install a modified version of windows 10 (which is the case for the version here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36418#msg36418). For the moment, I don't see windows 11 as a necessary update anyway.

scarface

Note that I'm preparing a surprise for humbert, Vasudev and the users of the forum. A lite windows 11 with many tweaks, will be available for download soon. It is being prepared.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 03, 2021, 09:41 PM
Note that I'm preparing a surprise for humbert, Vasudev and the users of the forum. A lite windows 11 with many tweaks, will be available for download soon. It is being prepared.

Awesome! I'll check it out on Virtualbox. Were you able to remove TPM and/or secure boot?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 04, 2021, 04:58 AM
Quote from: scarface on July 03, 2021, 09:41 PM

Awesome! I'll check it out on Virtualbox. Were you able to remove TPM and/or secure boot?
No.
Note that it was only tested under Vmware workstation v12.

scarface

Tonight, Windows 11 x64 pro v21996 is available on  forum.

It contains basically the same content as in the version of Windows 10 availabe on the forum: many reg tweaks, netfx 3.5, netfx 4.8, dx9 and 12 and many more programs like the latest releases of vlc, firefox, handbrake, cdisplay, Sumatra, 7zip 19.00, winrar 6.00, Treesize free, Visual C++ Redist, the game "Mastermind" and Ultraiso (full version), Subtitles Edit v3.6.1.0...
Fx sound enhancer v13.028 was added (full version).
New programs installed silently: mediacoder 0.8.61 (modified edition), Psychopinball (by Fuj), Smartcopy, Grand dictionnaire Hachette Oxford, Remove empty directories, WiseDuplicatefinder, Ant renamer, Pinball, LameXP, Belatout, Easeus Partition Master 13.8.
HDD programs: HDD low level format, HD tune pro.
Nothing was deleted in winsxs and to obtain such a size, install.wim was converted into esd.

Windows defender is disabled by default but can be re-enabled again via gpedit.msc.
This version is activated.
Unlike Windows 10, no drivers were integrated.
A classic version of the start menu was restored.

Size: 3.52 Gb
Link: https://mega.nz/file/VE8miABb#Jv-1Fcl-NX3C_WK_APfs-kf3LHP8kXlge8z0qT9UK0w

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on July 04, 2021, 09:30 AM
Tonight, Windows 11 x64 pro v21996 is available on  forum.

It contains basically the same content as in the version of Windows 10 availabe on the forum: many reg tweaks, netfx 3.5, netfx 4.8, dx9 and 12 and many more programs like the latest releases of vlc, firefox, handbrake, cdisplay, Sumatra, 7zip 19.00, winrar 6.00, Treesize free, Visual C++ Redist, the game "Mastermind" and Ultraiso (full version), Subtitles Edit v3.6.1.0...
Fx sound enhancer v13.028 was added (full version).
New programs installed silently: mediacoder 0.8.61 (modified edition), Psychopinball (by Fuj), Smartcopy, Grand dictionnaire Hachette Oxford, Remove empty directories, WiseDuplicatefinder, Ant renamer, Pinball, LameXP, Belatout, Easeus Partition Master 13.8.
HDD programs: HDD low level format, HD tune pro.
Nothing was deleted in winsxs and to obtain such a size, install.wim was converted into esd.

Windows defender is disabled by default but can be re-enabled again via gpedit.msc.
This version is activated.
Unlike Windows 10, no drivers were integrated.
A classic version of the start menu was restored.

Size: 3.52 Gb
Link: https://mega.nz/file/pYlkUKwY#G7HguN2thUdW2fgwIRtcKGqdFn_Uy_PWPrxyQcRo6Ac

Is this based on the insider version or leaked?