• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 28, 2022, 03:41 PMBest way to test USB4-TB4 is by connecting your phone via USBC-USBC cable or even USBC-lightning if you're on iphone which should detect as mass storage or something w/o needing drivers or adb drivers. MSFT has stricter rules regarding backwards compatibility with USB 2/3 when connecting a USBC to USB-A OTG adapter or even thumb/flash drive/SSD.

The Thunderbolt port on the lappie is USB-C. One of these days I'll connect something to it just to see what happens.

In the mean time Windows 11 is starting to misbehave. I should have known that what I said previously was good to be true. The problem with the start menu is that when you put lnk files in the folder where they reside, sometimes the start menu app sees them and sometimes it doesn't. Now out of the clear blue sky I'm getting a 0x80070001 error. Windows Update is dysfunctional. It sees the files to be updated but crashes as soon as the download starts. This is also affecting the Windows Store app. Same situation: the  store app works, it gets you the program you want, and the download crashes as soon as it begins.

When you Google 0x80070001 you go crazy. There are gazillions of possible reason this error could happen. I've tried everything they've suggested and nothing works. I even tried reinstalling and keeping the files. Nope! Got that disgusting "we couldn't install your updates, removing changes" garbage.

I have some backups taken a few days ago. Maybe I could restore one to see if Windows Update works. Even so, it mean's I'd have to reinstall and configure my apps from scratch.

As always, M$ sells its buggy software and uses all of us as beta testers.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on November 29, 2022, 05:51 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 28, 2022, 03:41 PMIn the mean time Windows 11 is starting to misbehave. I should have known that what I said previously was good to be true. The problem with the start menu is that when you put lnk files in the folder where they reside, sometimes the start menu app sees them and sometimes it doesn't. Now out of the clear blue sky I'm getting a 0x80070001 error. Windows Update is dysfunctional. It sees the files to be updated but crashes as soon as the download starts. This is also affecting the Windows Store app. Same situation: the  store app works, it gets you the program you want, and the download crashes as soon as it begins.

When you Google 0x80070001 you go crazy. There are gazillions of possible reason this error could happen. I've tried everything they've suggested and nothing works. I even tried reinstalling and keeping the files. Nope! Got that disgusting "we couldn't install your updates, removing changes" garbage.

I have some backups taken a few days ago. Maybe I could restore one to see if Windows Update works. Even so, it mean's I'd have to reinstall and configure my apps from scratch.

As always, M$ sells its buggy software and uses all of us as beta testers.
Try eventviewer and bluescreenview.
Eventviewer, look at critical/warnings right before it bluescreened.
With bluescreen view it should say which driver/device was responsible.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 29, 2022, 08:49 PMTry eventviewer and bluescreenview.

Thanks for your help but I'm not too clear what you mean. I'm assuming "bluescreen" is not the BSOD. Are these programs and/or features to help find the root of a problem?

Please walk me through it. I try Windows Update or the Windows Store. It finds the necessary files. The download begins and promptly crashes. I get error 0x80070001. Mind you this is all that happens. The OS continues to work as normal. It's just that I can't download from these 2 sources. If you were me, what exactly would you do next?

I've tried everything. SFC/scannow and all flavors of DISM report no issues. Even restoring 2 old backups didn't solve the problem. Other than this and the broken start menu, the OS runs great not including some compatibility issues with some programs.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on November 30, 2022, 05:40 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 29, 2022, 08:49 PMTry eventviewer and bluescreenview.

Thanks for your help but I'm not too clear what you mean. I'm assuming "bluescreen" is not the BSOD. Are these programs and/or features to help find the root of a problem?

Please walk me through it. I try Windows Update or the Windows Store. It finds the necessary files. The download begins and promptly crashes. I get error 0x80070001. Mind you this is all that happens. The OS continues to work as normal. It's just that I can't download from these 2 sources. If you were me, what exactly would you do next?

I've tried everything. SFC/scannow and all flavors of DISM report no issues. Even restoring 2 old backups didn't solve the problem. Other than this and the broken start menu, the OS runs great not including some compatibility issues with some programs.
My bad, I assumed the 0x80070001 was a traditional error code as the bluescreen was dumping. But I re-interpreted this now as the error windows update is giving you.
If it is giving such an error it may be resolved using the windows upgrade tool when a new version of windows is released.
That tool can force an update to a new system version, for example 21h2 to 22h2 and skip the normal update procedure. Then it might work.
Unfortunately that method will likely not work if there isnt a major version available.

I believe the tool to do the major updates is through the installer assistant https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
I assume you have no real reason other than security to rush an update?

If it is just randomly giving you errors when doing windows update, you may want to try:
safemode with networking
Disabling tweaks you've done using tools/tweaks/regedit etc.
Disconnect all optional devices excpet mouse or keyboard, and network. I've had a wireless receiver for my mouse cause windows update issues.
Default bios settings then reapply the same settings you had before. Especially if you have updated your bios manually without going to default settings after.
Update all drivers manually then try update.
Or Uninstall all drivers then try update. (careful so you dont delete input/usb drivers.. :) )

If it is network related..
Try phone hotspot and disconnect home internet from laptop
VPN
Changing DNS to public DNS

Unfortunately issues like this often requires random bandaids until it works, or just formatting.. Which sucks.
Had a similar issue on my main pc where all updates would fail for no reason and the upgrade tool had to be used.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 30, 2022, 05:40 AM

Not sure to what extent it will fix the WU issue. Win 11 clean install bit the dust pretty quick. I found a link wherein Win 11 insider preview had same issue try this

humbert

Thanks for your replies. Sadly I did all this and there is no solution. I think I'm going to wait for a major upgrade and see if maybe I could install it while keeping my files. I tried this with a recently downloaded copy and got the hateful "undoing changes" prompt.

There are other ways to get update files and install them manually. I attempted this with one and it worked. With respect to the few windows store app I'd like, there are ways to install them with Powershell. Let me investigate that a little further.

In the mean time I'll keep searching. Who knows, something might just work.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 01, 2022, 05:59 AMThanks for your replies. Sadly I did all this and there is no solution. I think I'm going to wait for a major upgrade and see if maybe I could install it while keeping my files. I tried this with a recently downloaded copy and got the hateful "undoing changes" prompt.

There are other ways to get update files and install them manually. I attempted this with one and it worked. With respect to the few windows store app I'd like, there are ways to install them with Powershell. Let me investigate that a little further.

In the mean time I'll keep searching. Who knows, something might just work.
Its unbelievable that made for Win 11 laptop isn't working properly. I don't think in-place upgrade/update will work since they usually work most of the time. Do you have Intel RAID NVMe configured? Will removing RAID driver in safe mode and rebooting it and mounting the ISO again and upgrade it again or even better would be a clean install w/o connecting to the internet and go ahead with local account and Pro install.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 01, 2022, 07:17 PMIts unbelievable that made for Win 11 laptop isn't working properly. I don't think in-place upgrade/update will work since they usually work most of the time. Do you have Intel RAID NVMe configured? Will removing RAID driver in safe mode and rebooting it and mounting the ISO again and upgrade it again or even better would be a clean install w/o connecting to the internet and go ahead with local account and Pro install.

The computer has a slot for a 2nd NVMe drive, but I'm only running 1. That's plenty for me. I did order an additional 16 GB of RAM for a total of 32 when it arrives.

There is no question that Windows Update -- just like the Start Menu -- is broken! There are many people on Google complaining of the same issue. It's clear that even Micro$haft doesn't know how to fix it. All they say is "try this, try that, maybe this will work..." and so on and on. I've tried all their suggestions, and nothing works. THEY KNOW IT'S BROKEN and are just buying time with those silly suggestions. It's so bad that I manually downloaded and successfully installed an update, and still Windows Update doesn't know it's there and continues to try to download it! And, as might be expected, this issue takes the Windows Store down with it. The store depends on Windows Update to work properly.

Fortunately there are some workarounds. Updates can be downloaded from Micro$haft's catalog web site (and possibly other places) and installed manually. I don't use very many Windows Store app, and the ones I use are on Google Play. Simply install the Nox android emulator and use the apps that way. Even so, I do believe it's possible to install some Windows Store apps with Powershell.

Everything else is OK. I see no reason to reformat and start from scratch. Let's be patient, eventually they'll get these issues fixed.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 02, 2022, 05:34 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 01, 2022, 07:17 PMIts unbelievable that made for Win 11 laptop isn't working properly. I don't think in-place upgrade/update will work since they usually work most of the time. Do you have Intel RAID NVMe configured? Will removing RAID driver in safe mode and rebooting it and mounting the ISO again and upgrade it again or even better would be a clean install w/o connecting to the internet and go ahead with local account and Pro install.

The computer has a slot for a 2nd NVMe drive, but I'm only running 1. That's plenty for me. I did order an additional 16 GB of RAM for a total of 32 when it arrives.

There is no question that Windows Update -- just like the Start Menu -- is broken! There are many people on Google complaining of the same issue. It's clear that even Micro$haft doesn't know how to fix it. All they say is "try this, try that, maybe this will work..." and so on and on. I've tried all their suggestions, and nothing works. THEY KNOW IT'S BROKEN and are just buying time with those silly suggestions. It's so bad that I manually downloaded and successfully installed an update, and still Windows Update doesn't know it's there and continues to try to download it! And, as might be expected, this issue takes the Windows Store down with it. The store depends on Windows Update to work properly.

Fortunately there are some workarounds. Updates can be downloaded from Micro$haft's catalog web site (and possibly other places) and installed manually. I don't use very many Windows Store app, and the ones I use are on Google Play. Simply install the Nox android emulator and use the apps that way. Even so, I do believe it's possible to install some Windows Store apps with Powershell.

Everything else is OK. I see no reason to reformat and start from scratch. Let's be patient, eventually they'll get these issues fixed.

Does make sense though, it might take few months to fix start menu and other bugs. It seems W12 might be arriving.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 03, 2022, 09:41 PMDoes make sense though, it might take few months to fix start menu and other bugs. It seems W12 might be arriving.
Really? Have they said anything about it or is this just speculation? Maybe they've decided to rewrite Win11.