• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 19, 2022, 04:46 AMVasu: While those corporations you mentioned can still download security updates for W7 directly from M$, I'm not too clear about how regular users do it. Based on what you explained you and I can't exactly get the updates directly from M$ servers.

Don't you hate it when M$ purposely makes important hardware updates available ONLY on newer versions of Windows (W11 in this case). I have a WiFi 6E router. I bought a desktop PCI WiFi 6E adapter to replace the LAN cable that's all over the floor. For me it's ideal: the distance to the router is about 3½ meters with a direct line of sight. Guess what? Wifi 6 worked, but not WiFi 6E. The reason? 6E support is only available on W11.  >:(  Since it's still too early to upgrade, I returned the device to Amazon.
I didn't know you upgraded to new 6E router. Yeah that sucks. You can always test in LiveCD Linux Mint or Linux Mint Debian edition and see if 6E is detected.
You can check with driver version to see if its latest one. I found 6E driver for Ax201 on Win 10
Ax 210 6E

scarface

Note that I made a new version of windows 11 (v 22621- probably the soon to be released next version).
While this version is working under vmware, I was unable to capture it and reinstall it with the new progams and layout, even if the same method was used for the previous versions available in this topic. When the setup begins you get the  "windows could not display the images available for installation".
If somebody is able to give a solution, here is the faulty wim file: https://www.plustransfer.com/download.php?id=adb68f2fbbb82ac4b6a1652888448da8

Edit:
Note that I've been able to find out why this error occurred:
After analyzing the wim infos of the first and second versions of Windows 11 I noticed that the edition flag was not set, as if the wim file was corrupt (see image below). However, according the dism, the operation completed successfully. So I ckecked the log operation and found errors. Apparently it was necessary to add the /ScratchDir option to capture the image. With this option, the edition flag is now set. I don't know why option became suddenly necessary though.
Here is a page showing the problem: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/0e114984-ef7e-4435-b294-aab7ea42f336/custom-installwim-install-problem?

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on May 23, 2022, 05:04 PMI didn't know you upgraded to new 6E router. Yeah that sucks. You can always test in LiveCD Linux Mint or Linux Mint Debian edition and see if 6E is detected.

I returned the WiFi adapter and went back to the LAN cable I was originally using.

Regarding experimenting with those Linux LiveCD's you mentioned, I believe I'd have to install a driver to get the adapter to work. The thing is so new that not even Windows 11 will see it unless you download and install the driver.

I didn't test that Windows 10 driver you mentioned. What I don't like is that according to the developer's screenshots, Windows 10 doesn't know what WiFi channel you're on nor does it know you're using 6E. Upgrading to this thing is nice but not really urgent.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 24, 2022, 04:33 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on May 23, 2022, 05:04 PMI didn't know you upgraded to new 6E router. Yeah that sucks. You can always test in LiveCD Linux Mint or Linux Mint Debian edition and see if 6E is detected.

I returned the WiFi adapter and went back to the LAN cable I was originally using.

Regarding experimenting with those Linux LiveCD's you mentioned, I believe I'd have to install a driver to get the adapter to work. The thing is so new that not even Windows 11 will see it unless you download and install the driver.

I didn't test that Windows 10 driver you mentioned. What I don't like is that according to the developer's screenshots, Windows 10 doesn't know what WiFi channel you're on nor does it know you're using 6E. Upgrading to this thing is nice but not really urgent.
Which is the Wifi adapter BTW? If its Intel/MediaTek/Realtek its usually added in linux-firmware and usually Linux installs them anyway.Qualcomm or Killer drivers are delayed unusually and are buggy even after 5-6 years.

scarface

Note that the problem of the corrupt windows 11 with the message "windows could not display the images available for installation" was solved here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=14153.msg37603#msg37603
I'm going to try to release a new version of windows 11 soon.

Note that the  Aero Glass transparency is broken in the new version (apparently it was removed since build 22571). And openshell is not working anymore. StartAllBack is working to restore a classic start menu, however there is no option to get the XP style with the programs on the right instead of a cascading menu. I'm trying to restore this.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on May 24, 2022, 05:25 PMWhich is the Wifi adapter BTW? If its Intel/MediaTek/Realtek its usually added in linux-firmware and usually Linux installs them anyway.Qualcomm or Killer drivers are delayed unusually and are buggy even after 5-6 years.

This is it. Windows sees it as a Realtek on Device Manager. The docs provide driver links for Windows but no instructions on how to install Linux drivers, assuming this is necessary.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 23, 2022, 11:43 PMNote that I made a new version of windows 11 (v 22621- probably the soon to be released next version).
While this version is working under vmware, I was unable to capture it and reinstall it with the new progams and layout, even if the same method was used for the previous versions available in this topic.

Let me ask you: I keep hearing that Windows 11 will be able to run Android program and (I believe) Linux apps. Have you been able to get your copies of W11 to do this? I haven't been able to.

I'm under the impression that this requires subsystems that can be installed using Control Panel -> Programs and Features. My copy of W11 won't do that under VirtualBox. Either there's something wrong with the ISO or I inadvertently disabled it.

Also AFAIK you can't run a virtual machine inside a virtual machine. Maybe that's it.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 26, 2022, 05:05 AMLet me ask you: I keep hearing that Windows 11 will be able to run Android program and (I believe) Linux apps. Have you been able to get your copies of W11 to do this? I haven't been able to.

I haven't been able to do this either. I tried to install 2 apk apps (Le monde and Le figaro), to no avail.
I think only a few apps (available in the Microsoft store) are compatible.
It's probably a marketing operation, because there is nothing new in Windows 11 compared to Windows 10.
It was confirmed that windows 11 v22621 was the RTM, or 22H2 edition. I will release something when it's ready.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 25, 2022, 05:15 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on May 24, 2022, 05:25 PMWhich is the Wifi adapter BTW? If its Intel/MediaTek/Realtek its usually added in linux-firmware and usually Linux installs them anyway.Qualcomm or Killer drivers are delayed unusually and are buggy even after 5-6 years.

This is it. Windows sees it as a Realtek on Device Manager. The docs provide driver links for Windows but no instructions on how to install Linux drivers, assuming this is necessary.
Never heard of Fenvi.
I found some Ax201 Intel M.2 with PCIe adapter and antenna. https://www.newegg.com/edup-ep-ax210gs-pci-express/p/0XM-01CT-00034
Older Ax200 Intel M.2 https://www.newegg.com/p/0XM-011Z-00004?Item=9SIAE6ZB8E1548
Realtek Wifi could be buggy and needs more FW or drivers.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on May 26, 2022, 09:15 PMNever heard of Fenvi.
I found some Ax201 Intel M.2 with PCIe adapter and antenna. https://www.newegg.com/edup-ep-ax210gs-pci-express/p/0XM-01CT-00034
Older Ax200 Intel M.2 https://www.newegg.com/p/0XM-011Z-00004?Item=9SIAE6ZB8E1548
Realtek Wifi could be buggy and needs more FW or drivers.

The card you mentioned doesn't do 6E. What I'm trying to do is replace an ethernet cable that's on the floor protected by a cable protector. Occasionally people trip over it. My ISP is Google Fiber. My tests regularly show roughly 945 Mbps up and down consistently. Only 6E can come close. It'll probably go that fast because, as I explained, the PC is just 3½ meters from the router and there is a direct line of sight with no obstructions in between. Unfortunately getting this isn't possible at this time. It's too early to upgrade to Windows 11.

Realtek might be bad, but it's everywhere. I just checked device manager. The LAN controller on the motherboard is Realtek. The laptop WiFi 6 adapter I just returned was Realtek. So far every network adapter I've had, regardless of brand, uses a Realtek chipset. I'll bet you money that the WiFi adapter shown in your link has one too. They're like flies or roaches -- they're everywhere.