• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Where is everybody?

Started by humbert, August 07, 2023, 05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

It's been a few days now and, so far, total silence. Nobody's posting anything. Where is everybody?

Hey Scarface: Why aren't you posting links for those interesting Youtube videos you like? It's been a while now.

What else is going on? Heat and more heat. Nearly 40°C almost every day. I'm counting the days for fall and winter to finally set in.

Anybody watching the Women's World Cup? Unfortunately just about all games are in the middle of the night, my time. Maybe it's daytime where some of you guys live.

Somebody post something!!

scarface

Hi humbert,

I don't post anything because I'm a bit tired and I don't feel like posting messages.
I'll be back later. In the meantime, you can still check the movies section on the forum, there might be movies you haven't watched.
It's not hot in France right now, but another heatwave is forecast for this week.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 07, 2023, 11:41 AMI'll be back later. In the meantime, you can still check the movies section on the forum, there might be movies you haven't watched.

Are these the same ones you've been posting all along?

Quote from: scarface on August 07, 2023, 11:41 AMIt's not hot in France right now, but another heatwave is forecast for this week.

Where in France are you living at this moment? I know you like to move around quite a bit. Also, I'm curious: what do you do for a living?

Do you still have the portable A/C unit you showed us a picture of? I imagine so, sleeping in this heat is next to impossible. Here at about 23:00 the temp is still 34 to 35°C. Fortunately I have central A/C at home. The compressor runs nonstop hours and hours, and my electric bill is throught the roof. Many people have solar panels. I've done the math and come to the conclusion that for them to be practical the price has to drop much more. Hopefully newer technologies will make this possible.

Shadow.97

I'm mostly working, and when not working, sleeping or doing a whole lot of nothing :)

Because we are in an open office setting, I don't feel comfortable browsing the forum. Work/school was always the primary location I browsed it.

When it comes to solar panels, they are about to kill it here, atleast for private entities. Perhaps not literally. But they are increasing the fees so high that there is no sense in the slightest to keep it. As you would likely have to pay more of a fee than what you earn per kwh.

Today was the first day I've been cold inside since I moved. It got to 19c. My comfort range is 22-24c. Took an hour or two for the heating to kick in, but when it did, it got right up to 22.5c again.

Vasudev

It is monsoon season or rainy season in India. When it rains heavily the temps will be on avg 20-25C as opposed to 35-40C in summer season.

humbert

QuoteWhen it comes to solar panels, they are about to kill it here, atleast for private entities. Perhaps not literally. But they are increasing the fees so high that there is no sense in the slightest to keep it. As you would likely have to pay more of a fee than what you earn per kwh.

The fees you mentioned. Do you mean taxes or something else? Scandinavia is very advanced when it comes to fighting climate change. Plus during the summer you have sunshine all day.

Here many homes have solar panels. You get tax incentives from the government and from the electric company. Even so, I've done the math many times and come to the conclusion that, financially speaking, they are not advantageous. If you get less than 5kW capacity you've done nothing. Last I checked you're talking about $20,000. Any savings in power will be eaten up by the monthly payments to the bank. Also, power here isn't all that expensive compared to the rest of the country. Where I live it's about 12.6¢/kWh. Texas has plenty of natural gas to power it's plants, plus they have solar, wind, and nuclear.

QuoteToday was the first day I've been cold inside since I moved. It got to 19c. My comfort range is 22-24c. Took an hour or two for the heating to kick in, but when it did, it got right up to 22.5c again.

How I envy both you and Vasudev! Here the temp rose to a record 42°C today! Fortunately the A/C in the house and the car work well. Otherwise this heat is intolerable! I'm counting the days for some sort of relief to set in.

Hey Shadow. I'm curious. As far as you can remember what's the hottest temperature you've ever been in? Have you ever traveled outside of Europe, especially to anywhere in the tropics?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 18, 2023, 06:05 AM
QuoteWhen it comes to solar panels, they are about to kill it here, atleast for private entities. Perhaps not literally. But they are increasing the fees so high that there is no sense in the slightest to keep it. As you would likely have to pay more of a fee than what you earn per kwh.

The fees you mentioned. Do you mean taxes or something else? Scandinavia is very advanced when it comes to fighting climate change. Plus during the summer you have sunshine all day.

Here many homes have solar panels. You get tax incentives from the government and from the electric company. Even so, I've done the math many times and come to the conclusion that, financially speaking, they are not advantageous. If you get less than 5kW capacity you've done nothing. Last I checked you're talking about . Any savings in power will be eaten up by the monthly payments to the bank. Also, power here isn't all that expensive compared to the rest of the country. Where I live it's about 12.6¢/kWh. Texas has plenty of natural gas to power it's plants, plus they have solar, wind, and nuclear.

QuoteToday was the first day I've been cold inside since I moved. It got to 19c. My comfort range is 22-24c. Took an hour or two for the heating to kick in, but when it did, it got right up to 22.5c again.

How I envy both you and Vasudev! Here the temp rose to a record 42°C today! Fortunately the A/C in the house and the car work well. Otherwise this heat is intolerable! I'm counting the days for some sort of relief to set in.

Hey Shadow. I'm curious. As far as you can remember what's the hottest temperature you've ever been in? Have you ever traveled outside of Europe, especially to anywhere in the tropics?
It was near to 45c 2-3 months ago and room temp was much more even with a cooler, all the water i drink is turned to sweat. Almost felt like human torch.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 19, 2023, 08:51 PMIt was near to 45c 2-3 months ago and room temp was much more even with a cooler, all the water i drink is turned to sweat. Almost felt like human torch.

If you were sweating that much then I'd guess the humidity was very high. At least here it was hovering around 20%. Despite the high air temps you sweat very little, if at all.

Do you have A/C at home, or at least in your bedroom? Even at 45c it should provide some relief. Even at 42c my A/C keeps the home at 25c during the day, 22c at night. The only thing is that the compressor runs nonstop and drives my electric bill through the ceiling.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on August 18, 2023, 06:05 AMHey Shadow. I'm curious. As far as you can remember what's the hottest temperature you've ever been in? Have you ever traveled outside of Europe, especially to anywhere in the tropics?

Sauna on the top seat, approx 80-85c (176~185f). Have you ever been in a sauna after bathing in ice water? Traditional here, but mostly in the north.

By normal sun, 42c if i recall correctly. It was a very long time ago, in either greece, cyprus, or canary islands.

The places I've been are:
Sweden, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Czech Republic, United Kingdom, Spain, Greece, Cyprus. Closest to tropics would be Canary islands, but still not anything like a jungle or so.

Next on the list is likely Finland or Estonia, Poland, Netherlands.

I dont really enjoy the heat too much. But would love to one day go to some different Asian countries.

When it comes to AC, do you ever feel like you will get sick by it?
Every time I've had AC I get this sickly kind of cold feeling. Even if it isnt that cold.

I was planning on getting an AC this year, but I had no where to mount it in my appartment.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 24, 2023, 04:50 AMSauna on the top seat, approx 80-85c (176~185f). Have you ever been in a sauna after bathing in ice water? Traditional here, but mostly in the north.

By highest temp I meant by normal sun. You answered by question. I've been in saunas too but nowhere near 80c. How long can somebody stay in that temp without getting heatstroke? There is one barometer: if you're in a very hot environment and you start trembling as if it were cold, GET OUT IMMEDIATELY. Heatstroke is starting. It happened to me once in a sauna.

There is absolutely no way in hell I'm going to take a dive in ice water. Have you ever done that?

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 24, 2023, 04:50 AMSweden, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Czech Republic, United Kingdom, Spain, Greece, Cyprus. Closest to tropics would be Canary islands, but still not anything like a jungle or so. Next on the list is likely Finland or Estonia, Poland, Netherlands.

Nice. With the obvious exception of the UK, did you struggle to communicate with the locals in these places you've been to?

With respect to the tropics, the Canary Islands are pretty close. Tropical environments usually aren't all that hot. It's that the temp rarely if ever falls below 24c nor does it go much higher than 35c. It's like that day after day after day with no letup.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 24, 2023, 04:50 AMWhen it comes to AC, do you ever feel like you will get sick by it?
Every time I've had AC I get this sickly kind of cold feeling. Even if it isnt that cold.

In this country during the summer and in tropical cities all year 'round, surviving without A/C is impossible. Inside homes and buildings it gets very hot due to what's known as "internal heat gain" to the point where it becomes unbearable. A quick example: before the advent of A/C, the huge chocolate factory in Hershey, PA had to shut down during the summer. Their chocolate candies melted in the heat.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 24, 2023, 04:50 AMI was planning on getting an AC this year, but I had no where to mount it in my appartment.

Here's an interesting question: do you really need it? I'd think that in Scandinavia you could get away with opening the windows and using a fan. This would apply even more to you since you feel strange when the A/C is on. What do you think? BTW I just looked at http://timeanddate.com - at the time of this writing it reported 10c in Växjö. I wish it were like that here.