Previous topic - Next topic

jkiller

Does anyone use Firefox OS on Tablet?
How do you feel when using it?

humbert

Quote from: jkiller on February 24, 2014, 04:32 AM
Does anyone use Firefox OS on Tablet?
How do you feel when using it?

I have Firefox installed on both my Android tablet and phone. I like it because, as is typical with Firefox, it's configurable and has plenty of add-ons. My favorites are Adblock Plus, Ghostery, unMHT and especially CleanQuit. This add-on closes the browser and takes out all caches, histories, cookies, etc. in the process (this too is configurable).

For these reasons I recommend it highly.

jkiller

QuoteI have Firefox installed on both my Android tablet and phone. I like it because, as is typical with Firefox, it's configurable and has plenty of add-ons. My favorites are Adblock Plus, Ghostery, unMHT and especially CleanQuit. This add-on closes the browser and takes out all caches, histories, cookies, etc. in the process (this too is configurable).

For these reasons I recommend it highly.

I am talking about Firefox Operating System, not Firefox browser .

Firefox OS Tablet Program: First Device Specs

Specifications of the first Mozilla’s Firefox OS tablet have been put out online by Mozilla’s Asa Dotzler. Dotzler was one of the original people who worked on the Mozilla non-profit foundation.
Dotzler puts out detailed specs of the tablet, along with the picture on his blog. You can check them out here. While the specs are out, there’s no word on when the tablet will be released or what the price will be like.

The tablets are being produced by Foxconn, which announced plans to manufacture Firefox OS devices  last year. The tablet is called InFocus New tab F1, although the name might change by the time this thing hits retail. It has a 10.1-inch IPS capacitive multi-touch display with a resolution of 1280 x 800.

It seems to be WiFi-only tablet, with no word on a cellular version, and will come with AllWinner A31 quad-core 1GHz Cortex-A7 processor, as well as a PowerVR SGX544MP2 GPU. Other specs include 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage space. The tablet features a 2-megapixel front camera and a 5-megapixel rear camera, as well as a micro USB slot and headphones port. The battery is 7000mAh capacity. And of course it will run the Firefox OS, though whether this is an updated tablet-ready build is not certain.

humbert

There was an article about Firefox OS on the mailers from iClarified that I normally receive. The screenshots look an awful lot like Android. I'm not too sure but I'm assuming this thing is pretty much like Tizen - just another of the many children of Unix, quite possibly another distro of Linux designed for phones and tablets.

How much support is there for this thing? How many apps are available for download? Lack of apps is a problem Windows phone is dealing with - iOS and Android have infinitely more.