• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

[Steam] Stream your games from one computer to the other!

Started by Shadow.97, May 22, 2014, 04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Hey, so today Steam launched their Streaming function that allows you to stream Non-steam games as well as steam games over Wifi/LAN which opens many new possibilities for us gamers.
I've been testing it all day now, and so far it's looking great, no input lag, no noticeable lag in screen nothing!
Here's the three magical steps:
1 Log into Steam on your Windows* PC
2 Log into Steam on another computer on the same network
3 Visit your Steam library to start streaming between them
Read more on it here: http://store.steampowered.com/streaming (support article for troubleshooting: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3629-RIAV-1617 )
(*SteamOS, Linux, and Mac OS X stream hosting coming soon.)

For those who don't know what Steam is, it's basically a virtual library for games, and programs where you can chat with friends, easy updates for games, and many users and a lovely community(Some exceptions apply)
I have yet to test if this works on apps like photoshop.

Requirements:
"We recommend a minimum of a quad-core CPU for the computer running the game. The client has more modest requirements, but should have a GPU that supports hardware accelerated H264 decoding. Any recent laptop or PC should meet the client requirements."
"We recommend using a wired network for the best streaming experience. People have had some success with powerline networks and wireless N and AC networks with good signal, though your experience may vary."

EDIT: I tried to stream to my 0.7GB ram laptop, with an Intel Celeron M 380. It lagged, but was usable. (Slow Decode)
So I assume, if you have a computer that allows playing HD video's it will work fine.

iih

Last time i'm on steam play DOTA 2 since Beta launch and got invitation
I believe you've play several games on Steam.
eqso.orari-digital.org:8888 YBØIX

Shadow.97

Quote from: iih on May 22, 2014, 04:58 PM
Last time i'm on steam play DOTA 2 since Beta launch and got invitation
I believe you've play several games on Steam.
This is my steam Library.

iih

wow..your Steam Library. so many games you played.
how can you did, btw Thanks for your library. :)

humbert

This is only if you want to play games from a 2nd computer? What if all you have is 1?

I assume you have to pay for the games in your library, right?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on May 23, 2014, 04:17 AM
This is only if you want to play games from a 2nd computer? What if all you have is 1?

I assume you have to pay for the games in your library, right?
Well, I managed to set it all up today through schools WiFi with a VPN I set up on my home PC. It is noticable lag though.
And yes, you have to have 2 computers as it will be streamed from one to another, it's only usable if you have like one gaming computer and one for work.

No, I did not pay for all my games in the library, this winter on the 25'th of december I got L4D2(Left for dead 2) for free.
And people gift me from time to time because they buy humblebundles( www.humblebundle.com super cheap games and the money can go to charity!)
Most my games are actually from the weekly/monthly(approx) bundles, except Counterstrike and Euro Truck Simulator, even though they have been on the bundles.
Quote from: iih on May 23, 2014, 03:04 AM
wow..your Steam Library. so many games you played.
how can you did, btw Thanks for your library. :)
Eh, the only thing I did was to open a wallet  :P

humbert

So basically what's happening is that the gaming computer is like the server, and the other is a logged in client? Does the gaming computer do the actually processing?

iih

QuoteEDIT: I tried to stream to my 0.7GB ram laptop, with an Intel Celeron M 380. It lagged, but was usable. (Slow Decode)
So I assume, if you have a computer that allows playing HD video's it will work fine.
Hi, Shadow.97 I was share your experince to all my friends here, and got good response
and still waiting for gamer user on Linux...
let me ask you...how you test for this to know the connection / speed are enough
to get a good streaming on home network..thanks a lot

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on May 24, 2014, 02:07 AM
So basically what's happening is that the gaming computer is like the server, and the other is a logged in client? Does the gaming computer do the actually processing?
Yes. Exactly :) Some It does however take some on the CPU, to encode(as server), and decode(as client)
Quote from: iih on May 24, 2014, 04:16 AM
QuoteEDIT: I tried to stream to my 0.7GB ram laptop, with an Intel Celeron M 380. It lagged, but was usable. (Slow Decode)
Hi, Shadow.97 I was share your experince to all my friends here, and got good response
and still waiting for gamer user on Linux...
let me ask you...how you test for this to know the connection / speed are enough
to get a good streaming on home network..thanks a lot
The best thing is to actually just give it a shot, it only requires steam on 2 computers, and the game installed on the hosting computer!

iih

QuoteThe best thing is to actually just give it a shot, it only requires steam on 2 computers, and the game installed on the hosting computer!
this answer, i'm looking for..now was clear..i will tell to my friends here.
Thanks enjoy Steam streaming :)