• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

(New) Testing Anti Virus Suites

Started by Vasudev, June 02, 2014, 12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

This topic deals with malware and programs to get rid of it, so let me post this here.

You guys were correct in that Windows Defender is not too good, so I disabled it and installed Malwarebytes Antimalware. This thing as something called "Malicious Website Protection". One thing I'm seeing is that when I'm downloading a torrent and seeding it, every few seconds Antimalware pops up saying it blocked uploads to what it thinks is a malicious site. No name on the sites being blocked, simply an IP address.

Do any of you guys know what this is about? Are these false alarms? Would it be a good idea to simply disable "Malicious Website Protection" when seeding a torrent I just got?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 24, 2015, 03:53 AM
This topic deals with malware and programs to get rid of it, so let me post this here.

You guys were correct in that Windows Defender is not too good, so I disabled it and installed Malwarebytes Antimalware. This thing as something called "Malicious Website Protection". One thing I'm seeing is that when I'm downloading a torrent and seeding it, every few seconds Antimalware pops up saying it blocked uploads to what it thinks is a malicious site. No name on the sites being blocked, simply an IP address.

Do any of you guys know what this is about? Are these false alarms? Would it be a good idea to simply disable "Malicious Website Protection" when seeding a torrent I just got?
Might be a false alarm, btw did you pay for mbam? if so, contact their support team and they might point you in right direction. There is strict rule to flag torrent as malware.
There isn't a single AV suite which provides complete protection, but you know this. I install free version of MBAM & MSE. If you're infected without your knowledge, ie. adwares or bundleware, download Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and scan it, or otherwise you can try downloading KR(Kaspersky Rescue) 10 iso and burn it to usb and boot through it and remove malwares.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on July 24, 2015, 09:08 AM
Might be a false alarm, btw did you pay for mbam? if so, contact their support team and they might point you in right direction. There is strict rule to flag torrent as malware.
There isn't a single AV suite which provides complete protection, but you know this. I install free version of MBAM & MSE. If you're infected without your knowledge, ie. adwares or bundleware, download Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and scan it, or otherwise you can try downloading KR(Kaspersky Rescue) 10 iso and burn it to usb and boot through it and remove malwares.

Pay for MBAM (or anything else)?? Are you crazy or something? :) Nobody pays for software, we're pirates, remember?  ;D

There is no question that these are false alarms. It even flagged totalcmd.net. This is a very reliable site I've been using forever to get all kinds of Total Commander plugins. The problem with the torrents isn't the site itself. It keeps stopping some outbound IP addresses trying to get their hands on a file I'm seeding (not all of them). In the years I've been torrenting I've never had a problem, with the exception of very few files that did contain malware. This is, of course, not the fault of the site nor the torrent client.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 26, 2015, 04:44 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on July 24, 2015, 09:08 AM

Pay for MBAM (or anything else)?? Are you crazy or something? :) Nobody pays for software, we're pirates, remember?  ;D

There is no question that these are false alarms. It even flagged totalcmd.net. This is a very reliable site I've been using forever to get all kinds of Total Commander plugins. The problem with the torrents isn't the site itself. It keeps stopping some outbound IP addresses trying to get their hands on a file I'm seeding (not all of them). In the years I've been torrenting I've never had a problem, with the exception of very few files that did contain malware. This is, of course, not the fault of the site nor the torrent client.
Its better you opt for free version of MBAM. You must download NIS updates for windows defender too for increasing overall effectiveness. Cleanup old defs of defender by typing these commands
1. Open CMD in elevated mode.
2. cd C:\Windows\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client
3. MpCmdRun -removedefinitions -all
4. Load new updates.

Yoda

Quote from: humbert on July 26, 2015, 04:44 AMPay for MBAM (or anything else)?? Are you crazy or something? :) Nobody pays for software, we're pirates, remember?  ;D

LOL!!! +1
May The Force Be With You ...

humbert

@Vasu - What version of Windows are you running? I'm asking because mine doesn't have the folders you mentioned.

Honestly I don't see the need for running more than one anti-malware program. Sure, the threat is there, but it's not that severe.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 27, 2015, 09:23 PM
@Vasu - What version of Windows are you running? I'm asking because mine doesn't have the folders you mentioned.

Honestly I don't see the need for running more than one anti-malware program. Sure, the threat is there, but it's not that severe.
Just check folder named Windows Defender.

Yoda

Today I tested Avira 2015 Free antivirus
Found 73/78 !!!

I m seriously thinking to remove Comodo antivirus and install Avira
(I will only leave Comodo Firewall)
May The Force Be With You ...

Vasudev

Quote from: Yoda on October 31, 2015, 09:19 PM
Today I tested Avira 2015 Free antivirus
Found 73/78 !!!

Links are pretty much outdated and MSE was able to detect 73/78 on the day the links were posted.

humbert

Quote from: Yoda on October 31, 2015, 09:19 PM

Malwarebytes Antimalware is pretty reliable. That's what I use. You might want to check it out.