• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Support

Started by Vasudev, December 13, 2014, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on October 22, 2015, 10:32 AM
Try bleachbit & make sure Win update service is stopped during cleaning.

I've had all kinds of trouble with Bleachbit. I don't know why. Does Bleachbit get rid of stuff that Ccleaner doesn't touch, assuming the same winapp2.ini file is installed on both programs?

With respect to stopping the Windows Update service, do you mean check and see if everything in the C:\Windows\Software Distribution file is deleted - because having the service on might prevent a deletion? I manually added that directory to Ccleaner's list of directories to be cleaned.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on October 23, 2015, 03:10 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on October 22, 2015, 10:32 AM
Try bleachbit & make sure Win update service is stopped during cleaning.

I've had all kinds of trouble with Bleachbit. I don't know why. Does Bleachbit get rid of stuff that Ccleaner doesn't touch, assuming the same winapp2.ini file is installed on both programs?

With respect to stopping the Windows Update service, do you mean check and see if everything in the C:\Windows\Software Distribution file is deleted - because having the service on might prevent a deletion? I manually added that directory to Ccleaner's list of directories to be cleaned.
Just check Windows Update uninstallers in Bleachbit. When Windows update service is turned on, it locks old updates and logs which prevents deletion. Just checking, does BB run under admin privileges on w10, for me it wasn't working w/o admin privilege and which crashed BB and cleanup wasn't working. Go to program files(x86)\Bleachbit\ and set BB to run in admin under compatibility Tab.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on October 23, 2015, 11:08 AM
Just check Windows Update uninstallers in Bleachbit. When Windows update service is turned on, it locks old updates and logs which prevents deletion. Just checking, does BB run under admin privileges on w10, for me it wasn't working w/o admin privilege and which crashed BB and cleanup wasn't working. Go to program files(x86)\Bleachbit\ and set BB to run in admin under compatibility Tab.

Every time I bring up BB it gives me an error message when I close the app. This happens even when no cleaning has been performed. Also, before doing what you said I right-clicked on the exe and clicked "run as administrator". I not noticing any difference.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on October 24, 2015, 03:42 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on October 23, 2015, 11:08 AM

Every time I bring up BB it gives me an error message when I close the app. This happens even when no cleaning has been performed. Also, before doing what you said I right-clicked on the exe and clicked "run as administrator". I not noticing any difference.
if you're seeing bb error log window, you can safely ignore it.

wallofasgard

Hi to all, its been a while... i hope that everyone is doing fine especially Mr.Maher. :)

Maybe you guys are wondering why i am posting to Windows 10 section of the Forum...it is because,now i am currently trying to test this OS on my spare machine.To be specific , i am currently running Windows 10 TH2 1511. :) Though this OS is a little big buggy according to my observation,still i have to slowly cope to this new version and because of that,i think i need some help from experts here in the forum.

As i am learning to adopt to this new OS,i also have to learn the nature of Windows Update since most of them says that Windows 10 updates are inevitable and you are to get it whether you like it or not.As i read some informations about the windows updates,they came with many types like Security updates,optional updates and this cumulative updates.

My question is about the so called "cumulative updates".Is it true that this update is the bundle of all previous updates combined in one installer? Also,is it allright if i am to wait every month for MS to release these cumulative updates and install ONLY these updates and forget about the other? And lastly...do i have to install these cumulative updates in order beginning from the oldest release or is it fine to install only the latest cumulative update and forget older versions of cumulative updates?

Thank you for reading guys and i hope you could enlighten me about this. :)

Vasudev

Cumulative updates are bundled for each version. Build 10240 has different set of updates and latest build 1511 has different set of updates. You cannot use v10240 cumulative update on 1511 as the updates were already integrated and I hope I answered your query. Looks Like MS wants windows slipstreamers to be out of business with their new OS model.

wallofasgard

Thanks. :) So,it means that i should only get those cumulative update for 1511. Last question if you dont mind.Do i have to install all these cumulative updates from the oldest release or is it alright to just install the latest one? :)

Vasudev

Quote from: wallofasgard on December 15, 2015, 02:45 AM
Thanks. :) So,it means that i should only get those cumulative update for 1511. Last question if you dont mind.Do i have to install all these cumulative updates from the oldest release or is it alright to just install the latest one? :)
I think you've answered it yourself. If you're confused about which update(s) to get, try WHDownloader and it says which update is recommended for which build version for ex. 1511.
Not necessary if you've the latest version, otherwise if you intend on slipstreaming from 10240 to all the way to 1511/10586 you need to include all updates. Its better to download the latest ISO since its size fits within a standard DVD and easier to slipstream for future updates without worrying about breaking the windows.

humbert

I can't understand why people are so overly concerned about MS's mandatory update policy. Just update and keep on going, what's the problem? That's how my system is set up and so far I have no complaints.

@Wallofasgard - You're checking out Windows 10. What version were you running prior to this? I'm asking so I can maybe give you some pointers.

One thing we must all understand - upgrades are a fact of life. Sooner or later you'll have to make the jump.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 17, 2015, 04:57 AM
I can't understand why people are so overly concerned about MS's mandatory update policy. Just update and keep on going, what's the problem? That's how my system is set up and so far I have no complaints.

@Wallofasgard - You're checking out Windows 10. What version were you running prior to this? I'm asking so I can maybe give you some pointers.

One thing we must all understand - upgrades are a fact of life. Sooner or later you'll have to make the jump.
I totally agree with your statement(s). But there's one thing we're having limited data  plan that are within our budget. If w10 downloads everything w/o user noticing and emptying all data then its frustrating. After 3-5 years, no one will bother about double digit data-plans but there will triple digit data-plans and I hope it comes to India ASAP.