• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Support

Started by Vasudev, December 13, 2014, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallofasgard

currently i am using Windows 10 version 1511 build 10586.36. You see,since i cant do update integration and since my internet is so crappy most of the time,now i am planning to install these cumulative updates manually by downloading the .msu first using IDM instead of letting my PC to download and install it automatically.

I am not planning to stop the updates in Windows 10 since they are intended to polish the OS..i only want to install them first before my PC do it automatically for me.

Vasudev

Quote from: wallofasgard on December 18, 2015, 01:52 PM
currently i am using Windows 10 version 1511 build 10586.36. You see,since i cant do update integration and since my internet is so crappy most of the time,now i am planning to install these cumulative updates manually by downloading the .msu first using IDM instead of letting my PC to download and install it automatically.

I am not planning to stop the updates in Windows 10 since they are intended to polish the OS..i only want to install them first before my PC do it automatically for me.
If you're using a education or enterprise or pro editions , you can defer some updates upto a month or two, after that it'll be installed automatically.

Vasudev

Now, W10 is a recommended update from MS for 7 & 8.1. I finally upgraded to 10. Frankly, the experience is smooth and overall great performance. Mind you, i did upgrade  from 7 to W10.

wallofasgard

What windows 10 version do you prefer the most? i am currently using version 1511 and i am quite satisfied with it.Also,there is this version before 1511 and also this redstone version so i am not sure what version to stick with (there are currently 3 versions of Windows 10,right?) .

sigh

Vasudev

Quote from: wallofasgard on February 03, 2016, 02:28 PM
What windows 10 version do you prefer the most? i am currently using version 1511 and i am quite satisfied with it.Also,there is this version before 1511 and also this redstone version so i am not sure what version to stick with (there are currently 3 versions of Windows 10,right?) .

sigh
It looks like you haven't followed MS update lifecycle, currently 10240 version is literally dead, now 1511 or TH2 is the successor to 10240 and I haven't opted for insider preview so current version is 10.0.1586.63 all updated.

humbert

I agree with Vasudev. Windows updates itself. Go for the Pro version since you can do more stuff with it than the home version.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on February 04, 2016, 05:13 AM
I agree with Vasudev. Windows updates itself. Go for the Pro version since you can do more stuff with it than the home version.
I update windows manually through WHD. I even made a slipstreamed version of w10 with ESD compression which reduced 4GB ISO to mere 2.85GB ISO using NTLite.

humbert

What is WHD and how exactly do you upgrade? Maybe you know a better way than simply downloading from MS.

I assume you've disabled automatic updates. How?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on February 07, 2016, 03:30 PM
What is WHD and how exactly do you upgrade? Maybe you know a better way than simply downloading from MS.

I assume you've disabled automatic updates. How?
Disabled BITS and WU services and make sure connected platform & telemetry is disabled otherwise it can override disabled items(BITS & WU) to set startup to auto.
WHD: Windows Hotfix Downloader 0.2.2. Upgrade is painless, I presume you are aware of it already. Here is the WHD
BTW, I'm looking to buy alienware 15 r2 base model. I really like AMD GPU, it seems its not available. @humbert tell me, is it good?

humbert

I've never had a problem with AMD products. Currently I'm using NVidia, but you'll have no problems with AMD.