• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another cheese for the users of the forum.

The first photo was taken in a cheese dairy. The cheesemonger was pretty old, probably 70 or more.

The cheese that you can see on this photo is a Charolais. It was probably obvious for Vasudev or aa1234779.
Charolais is an appellation of French origin for a cheese made from goat's raw milk, with a natural rind. Originating from the Charolais and Brionnais hills, in Burgundy, this cheese is now produced in certain towns of Saone-et-Loire mainly, but also in the Allier, Loire and Rhône regions.
This appellation is protected in France since 2010 by a controlled label of origin (AOC).

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on July 05, 2019, 07:29 PM
Tonight, I'm going to present another cheese for the users of the forum.

The first photo was taken in a cheese dairy. The cheesemonger was pretty old, probably 70 or more.

The cheese that you can see on this photo is a Charolais. It was probably obvious for Vasudev or aa1234779.
Charolais is an appellation of French origin for a cheese made from goat's raw milk, with a natural rind. Originating from the Charolais and Brionnais hills, in Burgundy, this cheese is now produced in certain towns of Saone-et-Loire mainly, but also in the Allier, Loire and Rhône regions.
This appellation is protected in France since 2010 by a controlled label of origin (AOC).

I don't know that different cheese exists. That name was new for me. Is it same as normal cheese sold in supermarkets?

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on July 06, 2019, 03:24 PM
I don't know that different cheese exists. That name was new for me. Is it same as normal cheese sold in supermarkets?
Don't be ashamed Vasudev. Here you can see the best selection of artisanal cheeses of Saint Etienne. In India, In New York or in Paris they don't know that either.
This Charolais is an artisanal cheese, and it is sold in a cheese dairy, therefore it's more expensive than a lump of gruyere bought in a supermarket (9â,¬ for this lump of Charolais). I don't know if you can find such a cheese in supermarkets, but you can find good products like the tomme de Savoie or the Roquefort.

Oddly enough I was eating the rest of this Charolais with a beer (it would have been better with some red wine) when you posted the message.

My dream would be to have a cheese dairy like that with maher, usman, humbert, shadow.97, aa1234779 and you.

scarface

Today is probably the most important day in the life of humbert, Vasudev, usmangujjar, aa1234779 and shadow.97 because they are going to discover a new food experience.

Look at the picture below.

aa1234779 must be wondering if it's a new kind of meat. Actually, it's a piece of cheese, called Emmental.

Emmental is a yellow, medium-hard Swiss cheese that originated in the area around Emmental, Canton Bern. It has a savory but mild taste.
This artisanal Emmental comes from Savoie. It is an unpasteurized, cows milk cheese, the oldest of the French Emmental's and has been produced in the Savoie region since the Middle Ages. Its long maturation in caves of varying temperatures process gives this hard cheese a nutty, sweet flavor.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on July 14, 2019, 02:58 PM
Today is probably the most important day in the life of humbert, Vasudev, usmangujjar, aa1234779 and shadow.97 because they are going to discover a new food experience.

Look at the picture below.

aa1234779 must be wondering if it's a new kind of meat. Actually, it's a piece of cheese, called Emmental.

Emmental is a yellow, medium-hard Swiss cheese that originated in the area around Emmental, Canton Bern. It has a savory but mild taste.
This artisanal Emmental comes from Savoie. It is an unpasteurized, cows milk cheese, the oldest of the French Emmental's and has been produced in the Savoie region since the Middle Ages. Its long maturation in caves of varying temperatures process gives this hard cheese a nutty, sweet flavor.
Looks tasty!!!!
BTW, I thought it was a scary face at first glance!!

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another cheese.
Apparently the users of the forum recognized the Emmental. They have a good eye for prime quality food. But I did not think that Vasudev would be frightened by the piece of Emmental. Note that the holes are not due to rats, they are part of the fabrication process.

Now look at the picture below. What you see is exceptional indeed.

Humbert and Maher probably know this kind of cheese, it's obvious.
For those who don't know what it is, let's analyze this piece of Cheese. This is a round cheese with a white rind. It's certainly not a lump of mouldy Roquefort.
This is a moist, soft, creamy, surface-ripened cow's milk cheese. It's not a piece of Picodon either, made of excellent goat's milk.
I'm sure that you have guessed what kind of cheese it is. It is a Camembert. This cheese was first made in the late 18th century in Normandy. This one is an industrial cheese, and in all likelihood, this cheese was not made of Norman cow's milk.

scarface

Tonight, there is another riddle for the users of the forum.

Look at the picture below. What you see is exceptional indeed. It’s a lump of artisanal cow’s milk cheese. But what is it?

Is it
-   A  piece of Charolais coming from Saone et Loire?
-   A wedge of Emmental of Savoie?
-   A piece of Fourme of Montbrison?
-   A slice of old Cantal?
With all the clues on the forum, it’s probably too easy for aa1234779, usmangujjar and humbert. I’m waiting for their answer. 

scarface

There was a riddle in the previous message and nobody found the right answer.
Actually, it's a piece of Fourme of Montbrison. Fourme de Montbrison is a cow’s milk cheese with blue-veined paste and an orange rind. This cheese was formerly grouped with the Fourme d`Ambert registered designation of origin (AOC) established in 1972. In 2002, it was granted its own AOC. Fourme de Montbrison was also attributed a protected designation of origin (AOP) in 1996.
The various Fourme de Montbrison cheeses were traditionally made in “jasseries” (stone buildings with thatched roofs) which can still be seen today throughout the “Hautes Chaumes”, the mountainous pastures of Les Monts du Forez. In the summer season, the farmers’ wives and eldest daughters would climb up from the valley into the mountains with their cow herds. The mothers and daughters would milk the cows and make Fourme cheese to be matured throughout the summer. In the autumn these cheeses would be sold on the Montbrison market.

Today, Fourme de Montbrison is manufactured at more than 1968 ft. of altitude in the designation zone made up of thirty-three municipalities of Les Monts du Forez, twenty-eight of the Loire and five of Puy de Dôme.
It takes between 19 and 25 gallons of milk to make just one fourme.

Below, you can see half a whole fourme.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on July 27, 2019, 02:49 PM
There was a riddle in the previous message and nobody found the right answer.
Actually, it's a piece of Fourme of Montbrison. Fourme de Montbrison is a cow’s milk cheese with blue-veined paste and an orange rind. This cheese was formerly grouped with the Fourme d`Ambert registered designation of origin (AOC) established in 1972. In 2002, it was granted its own AOC. Fourme de Montbrison was also attributed a protected designation of origin (AOP) in 1996.
The various Fourme de Montbrison cheeses were traditionally made in “jasseries” (stone buildings with thatched roofs) which can still be seen today throughout the “Hautes Chaumes”, the mountainous pastures of Les Monts du Forez. In the summer season, the farmers’ wives and eldest daughters would climb up from the valley into the mountains with their cow herds. The mothers and daughters would milk the cows and make Fourme cheese to be matured throughout the summer. In the autumn these cheeses would be sold on the Montbrison market.

Today, Fourme de Montbrison is manufactured at more than 1968 ft. of altitude in the designation zone made up of thirty-three municipalities of Les Monts du Forez, twenty-eight of the Loire and five of Puy de Dôme.
It takes between 19 and 25 gallons of milk to make just one fourme.

Below, you can see half a whole fourme.

Hmm... Looks tasty. Is there anyway to know for sure you aren't swindled by shops selling cheese if I visit Paris?
French names are difficult to remember.
I'll be a fat pig in no time after having delicious varieties of Cheese!

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on August 21, 2019, 07:38 PM
Hmm... Looks tasty. Is there anyway to know for sure you aren't swindled by shops selling cheese if I visit Paris?
French names are difficult to remember.
I'll be a fat pig in no time after having delicious varieties of Cheese!
A cheese crook? What does it mean? Instead of buying Roquefort, you are afraid you might end up with some boudin noir (blood sausage, often made with pig's blood and apples or onions as a filler)? Maher and aa1234779 will confirm that you will become a fat pig if you are eating tons of boudin every day !

some boudin:

Sammy explains he had gastric problems because of rotten cheese. it gave him a fishy breath too.

Well, you don't need to come to France to buy good cheese. You can buy some here: https://www.fromages.com/en/cheese-shop/individual-cheeses
I recommend the Roquefort, the Tomme de Savoie, The Cantal (preferably old), The Saint Marcellin,
the Emmental, the Saint nectaire...
You can also try the Gouda with Cumin (it's the only one I don't like).

As for Paris, Well, if you are browsing the forum, maybe you don't need to come any longer. You will be able to save enough money to buy a lot of cheeses.
The problem with Paris is simple, there are too many tourists and you are always waiting. You are also spending a lot of time in public transport.
You would also notice that poverty is omnipresent. And the people are more relaxed in the countryside.

museum of Orsay: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg19884#msg19884
Le louvre: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg29319#msg29319
The halles, the Saint Eustache church. The Institute of the Arab world: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg29414#msg29414