• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 25, 2018, 10:07 AM
5G has worse range which you may know already. They are good for short range very high speed comm link with MIMO.
I already ditched that ISP.

From what I've been reading, the plan is to put 5G cells on telephone poles and street lights. The home customer would be issued a 5G modem with probably a small external antenna. The idea is, of course to find a way around 5G's distance and through-the-wall limitations. A major plus is that 5G devices would be fully backward compatible with 4G (LTE). It is infinitely cheaper for ISP's to hang 5G cells from a light pole than to tear up the street to bury fiber-optic cables. This is (I believe) why Google and AT&T are starting to cut back on their plans to install fiber everywhere. If the ISP's manage to get around 5G's limitations, fiber will become obsolete.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 26, 2018, 07:02 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 25, 2018, 10:07 AM
5G has worse range which you may know already. They are good for short range very high speed comm link with MIMO.
I already ditched that ISP.

From what I've been reading, the plan is to put 5G cells on telephone poles and street lights. The home customer would be issued a 5G modem with probably a small external antenna. The idea is, of course to find a way around 5G's distance and through-the-wall limitations. A major plus is that 5G devices would be fully backward compatible with 4G (LTE). It is infinitely cheaper for ISP's to hang 5G cells from a light pole than to tear up the street to bury fiber-optic cables. This is (I believe) why Google and AT&T are starting to cut back on their plans to install fiber everywhere. If the ISP's manage to get around 5G's limitations, fiber will become obsolete.
5G isn't really battery efficient  and yeah Fiber is expensive. But for people who download/upload heavily Fiber is helpful and 5G might not give you constant rated speed and it only advertises as 1Gbps Peak speed and not sustained speeds for N time duration.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 26, 2018, 10:45 AM
5G isn't really battery efficient  and yeah Fiber is expensive. But for people who download/upload heavily Fiber is helpful and 5G might not give you constant rated speed and it only advertises as 1Gbps Peak speed and not sustained speeds for N time duration.

Keep in mind I refer to the notion of using 5G for the home to compete against the current wire-based ISP. For mobile devices it's still a win-win situation: They'd use 5G whenever possible and simply revert back to LTE as the need arises. Serious problems would arise only if the devices were locked to 5G. Fortunately that won't be the case, it's already been confirmed.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 27, 2018, 06:14 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 26, 2018, 10:45 AM

Keep in mind I refer to the notion of using 5G for the home to compete against the current wire-based ISP. For mobile devices it's still a win-win situation: They'd use 5G whenever possible and simply revert back to LTE as the need arises. Serious problems would arise only if the devices were locked to 5G. Fortunately that won't be the case, it's already been confirmed.
For mobile users its a win-win situation.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 09, 2019, 12:50 PM
Today, windows 10 x64 pro Redstone 5 v1809 (with the January updates) is available.
For Vasudev who is waiting for windows 7, I'll release an extra lite edition later.

Is it possible to open the ISO and execute the setup.exe in order to upgrade from an earlier version of Windows, or must it be installed clean? I'm asking because many times I tried unsuccessfully to upgrade from 1709 to 1803 using Windows Update. I finally upgraded to 1803 with Vasudev's copy using the setup.exe file. Maybe I can do the same with your copy of 1809.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on January 14, 2019, 06:23 AM
Is it possible to open the ISO and execute the setup.exe in order to upgrade from an earlier version of Windows, or must it be installed clean? I'm asking because many times I tried unsuccessfully to upgrade from 1709 to 1803 using Windows Update. I finally upgraded to 1803 with Vasudev's copy using the setup.exe file. Maybe I can do the same with your copy of 1809.

In my opinion, it's possible.
But if I were you, I would do a clean install. Note that I don't even use it yet since I had other problems lately (I'm still using v1803).

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on January 14, 2019, 07:50 AM

In my opinion, it's possible.
But if I were you, I would do a clean install. Note that I don't even use it yet since I had other problems lately (I'm still using v1803).
I'm still using v1803 and kept scarface and mine RS5 ISOs in queue for those want Redstone 5. Those who wants no bloatware with UWP apps I install scarface's ISO and those who want stock W10 experience with slight tweaks and no useless UWP games and ad based apps I install mine.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on January 09, 2019, 12:50 PM
Today, windows 10 x64 pro Redstone 5 v1809 (with the January updates) is available.
For Vasudev who is waiting for windows 7, I'll release an extra lite edition later.

Yes you can upgrade. Make sure to disconnect other HDDs/SSDs to prevent data deletion bug on upgrade install. Use dism++ and check all options and clean it up. After that, use setup.exe to upgrade to RS5 error free w/ clean install like experience.

Vasudev

I'm still using your October edition of W7 pro.
I am making a stock version of W7 just for archive with latest January updates. For experienced users I still recommend your versions of W7/w10. My W7 really sucks since its very huge.

Vasudev

Here is a screenshot of all my updated Images of Win 10 RS4,5 and Win 7 SP1.
I may have to read Harkaz's guide for using Win 7 slipstreaming. Rebase tool is wonderful, I updated SF edition w7 october edition to January updates... Now it starts within 3 secs and shuts down in a sec on NVMe drive. Thanks SF.I'm deprecating most Appx on newer Win 10 versions because I believe they aren't updating their apps anymore which are absolute crap after updating to same versions as of Redstone 5.scarface: Can we use rebase whilst the image is mounted using GImageX?