• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

I never said VLC was "bad", in fact it's a great video player. The problem here is those 2 issues I mentioned. If the videos you played were all the same resolution, no problem. If you play all kinds of different videos with different resolutions (as I do), major headache.

I hope you can somehow hack into the program and come up with some solution. I can't understand why the developers seem to have no interest in fixing the issue, especially since many other players don't have this problem.

scarface

It is incredibly difficult to compile vlc.
Since I don't use Linux, I'm not accustomed to its commands. For instance, there is no cd.. (to go to the parent directory) under linux, it is cd .. (with a space).

I successfully installed various programs like gcc or java. I'm using ubuntu 20.04.

At the moment I'm stuck here; if somebody knows the correct answer...

humbert

Do you run Linux under VMware? I run Linux Mint on top of VirtualBox and it works great. Mostly I just play around with it.

Was VLC initially written for Linux and ported of Windows and Mac, or vice-versa?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on February 04, 2021, 05:42 AM
Do you run Linux under VMware? I run Linux Mint on top of VirtualBox and it works great. Mostly I just play around with it.
Yes I do. By the way, I was using vmare 12 and I've been obliged to upgrade to Vmware 16 since the installation of ubuntu was freezing.

Quote from: humbert on February 04, 2021, 05:42 AM
Was VLC initially written for Linux and ported of Windows and Mac, or vice-versa?
I don't know. Vlc exists for windows, linux and Macos. It can be compiled under windows but it's not recommended.
I found sb having a similar error, but no solution given: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=147425

humbert

Of the linux distros I've played around with, I think Ubuntu is one of the worst. My choice is Linux Mint, hands down. Shadow likes Debian. I haven't played around with that one just yet.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on January 26, 2021, 04:57 AM
Quote from: scarface on January 25, 2021, 04:40 PM
Note that a new windows 10 is available in the previous message.
- Vlc was updated

I don't use VLC because it's got 3 major annoyances:
1. There is no VLC on top only while playing. It's either on top all the time or not at all. Just about all other video players do have this feature.
2. When playing a video VLC will not put itself in the center of the screen and expand from there. If you play videos of different resolutions VLC is all over the screen and must be centered manually.
3. Developers have been informed of the following problems and refuse to do anything about it. They're more interested in adding bloat and more bloat.

I prefer MPC-HC. The original was retired, but other developers have taken it up and are always updating it. YOu can find it at Github. It's much less bloated and doesn't have the annoyances I mentioned. It now supports srt subtitle files.

Quote from: scarface on January 25, 2021, 04:40 PM
I guess it is a perfect update for humbert who uses windows 10.

If there were some way to install it over 1909 (my current version) I'd immediately upgrade. Every attempt I've made has ended in failure. Now it's complaining about Virtualbox, but if Virtualbox weren't there it'll fail for some other reason. Micro$haft is notorious for constant upgrade failures. I think they want us to erase everything on Drive C and install from scratch.
I think 2004/20H1 won't install if you have insufficient space in recovery partition. I upgraded from 1809 to 1909 via ISO and recovery partition wanted 600MB instead of 400-500MB. So, I used AOMEI in sergei strelec to delete older recovery partition and created new partition after C partition so that it can be expanded as time goes on....

scarface

Note that a new version of windows 7 is available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36198#msg36198
New versions of vlc and belatout are included.

humbert

My 6-year old mobo died and I forcibly had to upgrade. I got myself an i9-18090K with and MSI Mobo. I put 32GB of RAM so I can run VM's and give them generous amounts of RAM, plus run a ramdrive for temp files and use no swapfile. The SSD is 1 TB. I haven't checked but it's probably QLC. In order for it to last as long as possible it should be as large as you can afford with quite a bit of trimming to help even out the wear. They have 4 bits per cell, which mean they can only take about 1000 read-write cycles. Even getting TLC has become difficult.

I downloaded a "pre-activated" copy of Windows 10 from a torrent site. It was activated for a day or so then the activation was gone (unless I did something wrong somewhere). I rearmed it for 6 months with a KMS program. Does anyone know a way to activate this thing permanently? There are keys for sale on Ebay for less than $5. Even if I bought one that works, can you deacivate with KMS and reactivate with the key? Can anyone give me a link or something on this?

scarface

Note that a new windows 10 is available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36197#msg36197

I guess it will be useful for humbert or usman.
If you want to play Belote, the little game Belatout was updated.

humbert