• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 13, 2021, 11:52 AM
Note that the new windows 10 21h1 is here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36418#msg36418

Has anyone tried to upgrade a previous version of Windows by mounting the ISO and running the setup program? My experience is that upgrades fail constantly. I can't understand why upgrading Windows is so difficult to do.

Daniil

Have experience of failure of upgrade from Win7 (final update) to Win10. I.e., Win10 installs mostly correctly, but that's useless - many Win7 apps runs incorrectly on Win10, or can't get their settings from registry, so you need to reinstall them. Also, upgrade doesn't clears all the garbage, leaved after Win7 on your disks. So, in my opinion, it's easier to make a clear installation of Win10.

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on May 16, 2021, 06:03 PM
Have experience of failure of upgrade from Win7 (final update) to Win10. I.e., Win10 installs mostly correctly, but that's useless - many Win7 apps runs incorrectly on Win10, or can't get their settings from registry, so you need to reinstall them. Also, upgrade doesn't clears all the garbage, leaved after Win7 on your disks. So, in my opinion, it's easier to make a clear installation of Win10.

I agree. A fresh W10 installation is always the best way to go. The problems I've had involve upgrading Windows 10 to a higher version. I'm am constantly getting failed upgrade errors and I almost never find a solution on Google.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 17, 2021, 06:15 AM
Quote from: Daniil on May 16, 2021, 06:03 PM

I agree. A fresh W10 installation is always the best way to go. The problems I've had involve upgrading Windows 10 to a higher version. I'm am constantly getting failed upgrade errors and I almost never find a solution on Google.
Even Dism++ full cleanup doesn't work for me.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on May 17, 2021, 09:27 PM
Even Dism++ full cleanup doesn't work for me.

This is clearly badly written software. Since when has anybody had any trouble updating any distro of Linux, including Android? I've never had a Mac but I'm sure their OS is easy to upgrade assuming the computer supports it.

BTW thanks for privatezilla. I never heard of it until today.

scarface

Note that a version of windows 7 will all the latest updates is ready. I know that Vasudev and usman are waiting for it. It will only be available next month, though.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on May 18, 2021, 01:19 PM
Note that a version of windows 7 will all the latest updates is ready. I know that Vasudev and usman are waiting for it. It will only be available next month, though.
Nice.
Quote from: humbert on May 18, 2021, 05:20 AM
This is clearly badly written software. Since when has anybody had any trouble updating any distro of Linux, including Android? I've never had a Mac but I'm sure their OS is easy to upgrade assuming the computer supports it.

BTW thanks for privatezilla. I never heard of it until today.
If you have nvidia optimus linux upgrade is a mess.Full clean install is recommended for optimus.
I did in-place upgrade via setup.exe using custom ISO 21H1 and took 10 mins to upgrade w/o any issues.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on May 29, 2021, 10:19 PM
If you have nvidia optimus linux upgrade is a mess.Full clean install is recommended for optimus.
I did in-place upgrade via setup.exe using custom ISO 21H1 and took 10 mins to upgrade w/o any issues.

Was 20H2 your previous version?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 01, 2021, 04:44 AM

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on June 01, 2021, 07:03 AM
Quote from: humbert on June 01, 2021, 04:44 AM

I'm still using v1909...