• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

How to install OS

Started by topdog, March 16, 2012, 03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topdog

QuoteEvery one are not Literate like you are my dear friend!
What will happen if a newbie is installing Windows and suddenly he gets a BSOD, now what shall he do at this time.
That Newbie will be crying to GOD that he goes back in time and wished he would never had started installing windows.
Thanks again BLADESHARK. You have chosen the right words for what I wished to say to humb25
they call me domesticated ..... I CALL THEM FOOLS !!!

BLADESHARK

Quote from: topdog on March 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks again BLADESHARK. You have chosen the right words for what I wished to say to humb25

You are always welcome My Dear Friend :D
�There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.�

humbert

Quote from: BLADESHARK on March 17, 2012, 09:04 AM
Yes I do remember him, Where is he?? :(
I am strictly a Windows guy, but you can post your questions, I will install Pinguy on Virtual box and see if I can Help you.
My 2 Friends (resident near me) are Linux Users -- I will ask them for solution if I fail.
Take care. :)

Thank YOU!!  :) - Basically what I wanted to know can easily be said in a post. I looked all over for an answer and came up empty. I now know that if I am to use Pinguy at all, there is no Wubi-type program and I must repartition the drive, there is no escape. I don't want to even touch my drive C:\ because Windows and my whole life is on it, plus the fact that it's an SSD and, although they're fast as rockets, so far they don't have anywhere near as much space capacity as their magnetic cousins. This will change with time and magnetics will eventually go the way of the floppy disk, but we're not there just yet. This means I must use my drive D:\ which is magnetic and has plenty of free space. Going into the BIOS and making it the boot (or primary) drive is the easy part. What I don't understand is this:

1) If I created any partition at all using Gparted, what will happen to the data on the now smaller NTFS partition that is left behind? Must I move it to another drive and then move it back, or will it be unaffected (the drive is presently about 87% free in space).

2) I know that 2 partitions have to be created -- one being the partition Pinguy will be on (also the boot partition), and the other for swap. Must I create 2 primary partitions, or can I get away with creating one extended partition and put the other 2 inside it?

3) If I did any of these things that will work, how big do both new Linux partitions have to be or, to put it another way, what size do you or your friends recommend? I still don't know how much stuff I'm going to put on there and, I'm not sure I can use the remaining NTFS partition to put Linux stuff on it. I do know for a fact that any Linux distro can see NTFS, but will Linux run programs installed there?

Unless you know the answers, kindly run this past your friends and ask them what they think.

A million thanks,
Humbert

BLADESHARK

Looking Forward to it
Just be patient ;) :D

humbert

Quote from: BLADESHARK on March 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
Looking Forward to it

Many thanks. There is no hurry. I will wait patiently.  :)

BLADESHARK

Quote from: humb25 on March 23, 2012, 05:03 AM
Quote from: BLADESHARK on March 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
Looking Forward to it

Many thanks. There is no hurry. I will wait patiently.  :)
Asked this bcoz I am taking a new broadband, so it will take time for the technician to visit my house and install the needed things & then after that I will get started with your work. :P
Good Luck! ;)

humbert

Quote from: BLADESHARK on March 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Asked this bcoz I am taking a new broadband, so it will take time for the technician to visit my house and install the needed things & then after that I will get started with your work. :P
Good Luck! ;)

You're saying that either your present ISP is upgrading their system to include (for example) fiber optics, or has another ISP entered the scene? Here only the main lines to the pedestal are fiber (they are all underground) -- from the pedestal to your house is coax. I wish it was fiber all the way, I could get speeds of 1-Gb/sec like they have in a new apartment building in Hong Kong. Oh, and keep in mind this not for the whole building, it's per customer.

BLADESHARK

Quote from: humb25 on March 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
Quote from: BLADESHARK on March 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Good Luck! ;)

You're saying that either your present ISP is upgrading their system to include (for example) fiber optics, or has another ISP entered the scene? Here only the main lines to the pedestal are fiber (they are all underground) -- from the pedestal to your house is coax. I wish it was fiber all the way, I could get speeds of 1-Gb/sec like they have in a new apartment building in Hong Kong. Oh, and keep in mind this not for the whole building, it's per customer.

NEW ISP

humbert

Quote from: BLADESHARK on March 27, 2012, 05:29 PM
NEW ISP

That's great! Nothing better than old fashioned competition! What speeds have you been promised, and about how long does it take someone to do the installation from the time you called to the time the tech arrives? With the cable company I have now, it would take 7 to 10 days, all depending how busy they are and how many other installations are in queue.

BLADESHARK

Quote from: humbert on March 29, 2012, 12:45 AM
That's great! Nothing better than old fashioned competition! What speeds have you been promised, and about how long does it take someone to do the installation from the time you called to the time the tech arrives? With the cable company I have now, it would take 7 to 10 days, all depending how busy they are and how many other installations are in queue.
What great ??? ???
The company even didn't call back till now :( :(
I am very frustrated. >:( >:(