• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Firefox Add-ons

Started by Ahmad, May 17, 2012, 02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahmad

Do you use any add-on that makes Firefox create MHT files and read them ?

Because I can't see in my Firefox 12 any option to save page as MHT file, and when I try to open MHT file with Firefox, it brings up the download dialogue to download the file not read it.

It doesn't matter, as I open it with IE or Word, BUT I just want to know how to do that with Firefox.

Thanks buddy.  :) :D
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

BLADESHARK

Quote from: humbert on May 17, 2012, 02:02 AM
any freeware HTML reader can read it (there are plenty out there).
My Windows used Internet Explorer 9 [why should I install any third party software :-\] by default. ???

Quote from: humbert on May 17, 2012, 02:02 AM
Total Commander's html-reading plugin, and it works great and takes up almost no resources.
I agree :D
�There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.�

BLADESHARK

Quote from: Ahmad on May 17, 2012, 02:40 AM
Do you use any add-on that makes Firefox create MHT files and read them ?
No it saves by default [Firefox can create an .mht format file but not open one] :(

when I try to open MHT file with Firefox, it brings up the download dialogue to download the file not read it.
Yes it does :). Same thing happened to me. :(

It doesn't matter, as I open it with IE or Word, BUT I just want to know how to do that with Firefox.
Firefox lacks opening .mht format file. :-[

Ahmad

My Firefox 12 can't create .MHT format, or I can't see the required command.
If it's from another command, tell me.
Thanks.  :) :D

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on May 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
My Firefox 12 can't create .MHT format, or I can't see the required command.
This is what Firefox shows me when clicking "Save Page As".   [Attached]
If it's from another command, tell me.
Thanks.  :) :D

Go into Firefox's add-on page and install and add-on called "UnMHT". Not only will it most probably resolve any MHT issues you might be having, but it'll allow you to save entire web pages or just your selections into and mht file. One thing I also love about MHT's is that they keep the link, meaning that even viewing it with Total Commander's HTML viewer (which reads MHT perfectly), I click on the link and up comes FF to display it. This is what I did with that article I uploaded -- I highlighted with the mouse only the parts I wanted to save, then right click anywhere and click "Save Selection as MHT". I asks me what directory I want it in, and then it does it's job.

I assume the lack of that add-on might be the reason your FF isn't reading MHT's. I went to a saved MHT file on my HD and simply double-clicked on it -- Firefox promptly picked it up and displayed it. There is even a Firefox icon before all my MHT files, meaning that FF is their default program.

Ahmad

Quote from: humbert on May 18, 2012, 04:59 AM
I assume the lack of that add-on might be the reason your FF isn't reading MHT's.

Yeah, I don't have any Add-ons except for AdBlock Plus.
Thanks for the info.
:) :D

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on May 18, 2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I don't have any Add-ons except for AdBlock Plus.
Thanks for the info.
:) :D

C'mon, Ahmad, what's with you :P? Given all the great add-ons FF has to offer, how is it you've got just one? Let me give you some of my all time favorites, although I have more than just these installed: Better Privacy, Cool Previews, Do Not Track Plus, Flagfox, FastestFox, InstantFox, Live Reload, QuickFox Notes, Privacy Choice TrackerBlocker, and if you use the status bar on the bottom, Status-4-Evar is indispensable. I'm naming just a few, there are many more you'll find by simply browsing. Also, if you don't want Personas or Personas Rotator to make FF more beautiful, then at least pick up one theme and use it to supplant the ugly garbage Mozilla uses as default. I have one that that goes from orange to yellow to green with a pretty flower on top (or some strange thing), and the status bar on the bottom goes slowly from lime green to yellow, and contrasts great with the text on there.

Just to into addons.mozilla. org, look at the screenshots and read the reviews. You don't even have to log in or sign up unless you want to post a review. I recommend these highly. Oh, and NO, they will NOT eat up resources, slow down Firefox, or cause problems in any way -- I've been using them forever, I should know.

Ahmad

@ humbert. :)

I'm really not interested in searching add-ons now [Not so important for me].
BUT of course, I'll refer to you when need add-on doing something.
Thanks, dear friend.  :) :D

BLADESHARK

@ Ahmad & Humbert
Does the AdBlock Plus add-on works good  :-[

humbert

Quote from: BLADESHARK on May 19, 2012, 06:27 AM
@ Ahmad & Humbert
Does the AdBlock Plus add-on works good  :-[

It's awesome! When you look for the proper filters to put on it, check and see if there are any that blocks ads targeted to the Indian market. I just use the primary 4, and it's pretty much all I need. Incidentally, my cousin (another hard core computer nerd) says she uses NoScript instead of ABP because it's far safer. With it she says she can block not just ads, but also any script that might be a little bizarre, and, of course, allow harmless scripts you need such as to view a clip on YouTube.

Hmmm.. why I am even telling you this when our great friend the Big Chief makes a few pennies from this?

Yo Ahmad.. I invite you one of these days to simply browse FF's many extensions. I betcha you'll find something you never new you needed.