• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 8 Support

Started by humbert, August 07, 2012, 04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLADESHARK

Quote from: humbert on September 17, 2012, 04:42 AM
Have you been able to even get a copy of this file?
YES I have been able to get this file,but didn't get to check as I have not installed Windows 8

I'm thinking this thing probably searches for them.
Can't say anything :(

BTW, have you upgraded to W8 already or what?
NO! didn't get time to do so  ;D
do you have a MSDN copy of W8 :P
but I am afraid that will my family members be able to cope up with the Metro UI
got to learn it in the Virtual PC
�There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.�

humbert

Quote from: BLADESHARK on September 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
do you have a MSDN copy of W8 :P
but I am afraid that will my family members be able to cope up with the Metro UI
got to learn it in the Virtual PC

I haven't installed W8 just yet either, although that situation might change in a few days. I do know for a fact that you do NOT have to live with the Metro UI if you don't like it. A simple click will bring you back to the classic desktop mode. Not only that, but on Digital Life they even have a link for a proggie called "classic menu" which basically puts an end to the Metro UI almost entirely.

I haven't seen or played with Metro just yet, but from what I've heard it's nothing more than overgrown icons on different pages of the desktop. Some (such as weather) are live, but even so W7 has something like that -- they're called Gadgets.

fandjo

For You windows guru guys, one simple question :-\

Is it worth at all to jump to w-8?

humbert

Quote from: fandjo on October 05, 2012, 01:09 PM
For You windows guru guys, one simple question :-\
Is it worth at all to jump to w-8?

ABSOLUTELY! I was able to obtain a MAK key that still had some activations left on it, so I activated by phone. This OS is great! It's fast, stable and it just plain rocks! You can even ditch the Metro UI entirely if you don't like it. I switch back and forth from Metro to standard desktop - all done by simply hitting the Windows key once. I still have quite a bit to learn about it, but so far I have no plans to return to Win7.

I suppose my only complaint is that for some reason, if you use the Administrator account (as I do), it won't let you open the Metro apps that came with the OS. I checked them out using another account I created just to see them. I personally didn't like any except for the weather app, so for me this isn't much of a problem. When it installed IDM it warned me that with the Administrator account it wouldn't take over downloads from the browser. However, this appears to be only in IE, if you use Firefox or any non-IE based browser that won't happen.

Guys, upgrades are an inevitable fact of lift, and this one is well worth it. Just go for it.

BTW - if you're having trouble activating, be advised - Win8 will just nag you and put a watermark on your desktop, but it will never stop working. These nags can be removed with a little proggie called "on the seas". You can use 8 forever until you solve the activation problem, you just won't be able to use the cloud services and there are some tweaks you can't perform.

kokot22

hi friends i have one question i full activated win 8 PROF and win 8 enterprise via telephone without any activator or something

i have question how activate windows 8 core ??????????????????????

cos every key i found is or blacklisted or only for prof. version

thanks for answer

i think that on 26/10/2012 will be normal activator...

fandjo

Quote from: humbert on October 06, 2012, 03:51 AM

Guys, upgrades are an inevitable fact of lift, and this one is well worth it. Just go for it.

BTW - if you're having trouble activating, be advised - Win8 will just nag you and put a watermark on your desktop, but it will never stop working. These nags can be removed with a little proggie called "on the seas". You can use 8 forever until you solve the activation problem, you just won't be able to use the cloud services and there are some tweaks you can't perform.

Many thanks for fast and concise answer humbert8)

Can I be saucy  :-[ and ask one more question regarding W8!

Which version to use?  Asking because I am not sure. Find to many of it? Some of them have "N" as suffix! What thats mean? I do not find that Ultimate exist at all, so which one is successor of that version.

Hmm...to make story short, and avoid spending Your time in explanation :) ...please, just type which one to install?

Thank You

humbert

@kokot22
Let me see - you're saying you activated copies of Pro and Enterprise,  and  now you're looking for a key that'll work for Core, is that not right? Let's say you tried to activate Core and failed because the phone wouldn't upset your key. Did you clean out that bad key before making another attempt to activate using another key? I'm assuming you did, but if not let me know and I'll show you how.

@fanjo
I will be more than happy to help and to see that none of you have to go through this business of reformatting 3 times over (as I did) until I finally got it right. In fact, my previous comment regarding the Metro apps was mistaken - they are great and so is the Metro IU once you know how to use. I made many mistakes but I've learned from them. Let me give you guys a few tips:

1) Always get off the internet when installing. If you don't it will hound you endlessly until you open a Microsoft account, then your computer becomes password protected and the whole thing becomes a big hassle. Add to this that the phone activation option will probably not be present. As soon as you're activated, then reconnect the internet.

2) Don't make the mistake I made of using the Administrator account. Doing so offers hardly any advantage over using a local account with administrator status. Win 8 is OK with this and now your Metro apps will work great.

3) DO NOT use any registry cleaner except the one in Ccleaner. Doing so will tear the system apart, simply because nobody has yet written a Win8 one yet. Both Ccleaner (the latest one) and BleachBit are safe.

If you don't already have one, open up a Microsoft account at outlook.com (different from your local account) and use it to log in to those apps that require it. One login into any of the Metro apps works forever. This morning I was browsing the Store and saw no less than 99 free apps, not to mention paid apps that are less than $5 if you really need it.

I'm including at attachment covering all the Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts. IE will view MHT and so will Firefox is you have its unMHT add-on installed. You can do as I do and get Total  Commander and put it's HTML viewer add on - it's awesome for MHT.

One more thing - unless you've got a very old system and less than 4 GB of memory, definitely get the 64-bit version. It beats 32-bit any day of the week.

fandjo

humbert, Thank You not only for quick answer, but for usefull tips too!

cheers m8

kokot22

i dont undertand your topic

i want activate windows 8 core but i dont know how

cos all activator via kms servers not working

humbert

Quote from: kokot22 on October 09, 2012, 07:45 PM
i dont undertand your topic
i want activate windows 8 core but i dont know how
cos all activator via kms servers not working

I've seen some activators on the torrents, but as far as I know there is no magic bullet just yet. It will come, only not right now. There are 2 big problems with using KMS servers. One is that these servers are up for a very limited time and often finding one becomes an ordeal. Even if you did, your activation will expire in 6 months, meaning you'd have to either rearm with another KMS server or pray that an equivalent of Daz Loader is out.

The only truly reliable method of activating is obtaining a MAK (multiple activation key) that still works and using phone activation. MAKs are bought by large companies who can use it to activate maybe 1000 PC's. Inevitably many of these end up on the internet, which is where your search begins. Why it is that phone activation works and internet activation doesn't is beyond my comprehension.

Here's what you should do. Let's suppose you go out there and find some 10 keys that are specifically for Core. Now you activate by phone. I'm under the impression you've already done that, if not let me know I'll give you more information about it. If the event your attempt at phone activation failed, all you do is change the key. To do so, bring up the command prompt as admininstrator and type slmgr /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX, with the XXX's representing the other activation key. Again go to Activate by Phone and you'll notice the numbers above the blocks will be different (reboot if not). Pick up the phone and make another attempt. Do this over and over until you hit the target. I realize this is a pain, but if you succeed you're activated forever, and it doesn't even matter if the key you used went invalid 5 minutes after you called.

Also - Windows 8 might nag you endlessly to activate, but it will keep running forever without shutting down. There are some things you won't be able to do until you're activated, only I'm not sure what they are. With the on-the-seas.exe program that's on the torrents you can get rid of the nag and watermark. This will hold you until you can activate. There is no need to go back to Win7 because of this situation.

Guys, go for Windows 8 ASAP. As more time passes those keys that are on the net are just accumulating activations fom other guys who are using this method, which for now is the only one that actually works.