• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What's Your Browser?

Started by The Nawab, August 13, 2012, 04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 15, 2017, 04:57 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 14, 2017, 08:00 AM
i7 6700HQ. I didn't run Chrome on this PC. I ran chrome on older Pentium 2020M with 6GB of RAM. In fact, I tried Chromium on Linux, although it was slick, the GUI was laggy most of the times, so I switched to FF agin and never turned back.
On my new PC, everything's smooth enough thanks to NVMe SSD.

I can understand not liking Chrome (or anything else). We all have our tastes. With your system the concept of a program hogging too much memory or CPU cycles is meaningless. Your lappy can flawlessly run anything you throw at it. Mine is 16GB - 17 4710HQ and it runs Chrome and games like a bullet. Obviously this would not be the case with the ancient Pentium 2020M. Remember the reason we spend our money on high end systems is so we can easily run resource-intensive programs.

Just right now I took a look at my Android phone and found about 4 folders that belong to programs I uninstalled. I had to delete them manually because uninstalling the program won't do it. Imagine the amount of raw sewage that non-nerds must have on their systems! All the more reason to execute developers whose uninstall scripts purposely leave data behind.
Pentium 2020M is based off Ivybridge. Yes you're correct, everybody has their different tastes. You use Chrome on Android or other alternatives?

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 15, 2017, 07:00 PM
Pentium 2020M is based off Ivybridge. Yes you're correct, everybody has their different tastes. You use Chrome on Android or other alternatives?

I've yet to find a reasonably good browser for Android. Chrome for desktop is [in my opinion] excellent, but the Android version is garbage. I'm using Firefox only because it's not worse, but honestly it's not very good. I just downloaded Opera and started testing it on my phone. I'll let you know.

And speaking of Firefox, as of version 54 it too will start putting tabs in separate processes. See this article for details. Have you upgraded? I did. Some sites behave better with Firefox, which is why I haven't removed my copy.

Murtlap

not so while ago it was firefox but now i switched to opera

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 16, 2017, 05:05 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 15, 2017, 07:00 PM

I've yet to find a reasonably good browser for Android. Chrome for desktop is [in my opinion] excellent, but the Android version is garbage. I'm using Firefox only because it's not worse, but honestly it's not very good. I just downloaded Opera and started testing it on my phone. I'll let you know.

And speaking of Firefox, as of version 54 it too will start putting tabs in separate processes. See this article for details. Have you upgraded? I did. Some sites behave better with Firefox, which is why I haven't removed my copy.
Without addons e10 aka multiprocess works otherwise e10 isn't compatible with addons.

humbert

Quote from: Murtlap on August 28, 2017, 11:37 AM
not so while ago it was firefox but now i switched to opera

Why do you prefer Opera as opposed to its competitors, e.g., Firefox, Chrome, Edge.

aa1234779

I've been using Firefox on a windows laptop.. today it upgraded to Firefox Quantum and the difference in speed is apparent. It's much better than before.
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

Vasudev

I'm using FF Quantum as well. I think Chrome will follow the same footsteps saying twice as fast and better FF quantum on modern PCs.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 18, 2017, 06:27 PM
I'm using FF Quantum as well. I think Chrome will follow the same footsteps saying twice as fast and better FF quantum on modern PCs.

I wanted to share this article. It clearly explains why Mozilla had to upgrade despite many extensions being broken. It also has links to extensions that no longer work and their status and/or a suggested replacement. Check it out.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 19, 2017, 03:03 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 18, 2017, 06:27 PM

I wanted to share this article. It clearly explains why Mozilla had to upgrade despite many extensions being broken. It also has links to extensions that no longer work and their status and/or a suggested replacement. Check it out.
I'm using uGet downloader and it isn't sleek but it works. I'm trying IDM on wine.
I used that find replacement feature before FF57 was out, it suggested bulk media downloader.
Uget doesn't remember my download folder preference. Really was following ghacks.net and others for exhaustive list of web extensions that could replace existing addons.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 19, 2017, 11:06 AM
I'm using uGet downloader and it isn't sleek but it works. I'm trying IDM on wine.

I don't think you can get this thing to work on Wine. Remember you'd be using it to grab downloads from Firefox -- the Linux version. Even if you got it to work, integrating it into Firefox for Linux is another matter entirely. If you DO manage to get it to work, by all means let me know exactly what you did.

It's been a while since I used Wine, but when I did the only Windows apps that worked were small, portable programs. I have yet to get anything bigger to run, especially if it's got an installation program that puts files and settings in the registry and other different places.