• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Why am I not getting the speed that it was said in my router?

Started by akaubee, August 01, 2016, 08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akaubee

I recently got to know that my download speed is around 20mbps from speedtest.net when yesterday I changed my router.. Later when downloading,, I saw that my download speed is around 1/10 the speed it should be..(e.g: the speed shown is 10 mbps and when I download it, the download speed shown is only 1mbps) it also happened on all networks I used and even in my phone.

Shadow.97

Quote from: akaubee on August 01, 2016, 08:58 PM
I recently got to know that my download speed is around 20mbps from speedtest.net when yesterday I changed my router.. Later when downloading,, I saw that my download speed is around 1/10 the speed it should be..(e.g: the speed shown is 10 mbps and when I download it, the download speed shown is only 1mbps) it also happened on all networks I used and even in my phone.
.. I assume you've tried restarting it?  ::)
Factory reset? (Save settings to a file, first. If Factory reset works, try reuploading the settings. If it still works, great. Otherwise, redo settings)
Reset the modem? Yeah. Best of luck! Long time no see.

humbert

Here's another: run these tests using ethernet and not Wifi. The only way I've obtained a reliable test (300mbps in my case) on WiFi was using 802.11ac with the device being less than 5 meter from the router. I've never been able to do it on 802.11n no matter how close to the router I get.

In case your router plugs into your ISP's modem, you might want to plug your computer directly into their modem. This will tell you if it's the ISP's fault.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on August 08, 2016, 03:57 AM
Here's another: run these tests using ethernet and not Wifi. The only way I've obtained a reliable test (300mbps in my case) on WiFi was using 802.11ac with the device being less than 5 meter from the router. I've never been able to do it on 802.11n no matter how close to the router I get.

In case your router plugs into your ISP's modem, you might want to plug your computer directly into their modem. This will tell you if it's the ISP's fault.
What router are you using?
I'm using an 1900AC linksys. I think its great.
I'm however going to have to settle with my dir-655 now for a while forward.. Because I'm moving out.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 10, 2016, 05:20 PM
What router are you using?
I'm using an 1900AC linksys. I think its great.
I'm however going to have to settle with my dir-655 now for a while forward.. Because I'm moving out.

It's an Asus AC3200. It works great too. I love the Smart Connect feature where it automatically puts your device on the best of the 3 bands.

Congratulations on moving out. It's the best thing you've ever done!!