• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Maths & statistics exercises / French and English lessons

Started by scarface, June 16, 2013, 11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on October 16, 2023, 01:43 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on October 15, 2023, 08:55 PMI doubt it @scarface. I can write very well but while speaking I've to sometimes pick the right word whether its translating from a different language to English or vice-versa. It's more there's definite brainlag.
not perfect but still comprehensible then.
Note that the expression "to sometimes pick" is a "split infinitive construction". It's awkward despite its prevalence in colloquial speech. Actually, it's deprecated in modern English even if it's not incorrect.
I didn't know few phrases in a spech were deprecated. Oh is there any article that points towards newer speech?

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on October 16, 2023, 09:17 PMI didn't know few phrases in a spech were deprecated. Oh is there any article that points towards newer speech?
I was just saying that the expression (and not the "speech") in which an adverb separates the "to" and "infinitive" should be avoided, as far as possible.

humbert

Hey Scarface -- do you have all this information in your head or did you look it up? I remember studying all this as a child many years ago. I forgot most of it.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on October 19, 2023, 04:56 AMHey Scarface -- do you have all this information in your head or did you look it up? I remember studying all this as a child many years ago. I forgot most of it.
Well, I knew that it's not advised to separates the "to" and "infinitive" constituents of a sentence. But I didn't know it was called a "split infinitive", I found it on wikipedia.
In fact I read books in English, It's useful to acquire knowledge of words and proper sentence structure.

Lately, I tried to read Jane Eyre, at least the first chapters, and it's very descriptive. It's a dramatic story in a slow-paced wrap. I stopped reading it, It's dull due  to the author's prolix style. But I'll watch the movie. You will likely not find a split infinitive in the books of Charlotte Bronte.

I'm currently reading The Woman Who Lied.
(it's available here in ebook: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a17359658/Claire-Douglas-The-Woman-Who-Lied)