Author Topic: Internet Download Manager 6.28 Build 16  (Read 97555 times)

June 18, 2017, 01:31 AM
Reply #210
  • Global Moderator
The patch created a new idman.exe file, which is supposed to overwrite the real one. The new file is clean - I uploaded it to Virustotal and there is not a single malware detection. It works great and there are no more "fake serial" annoyances.

The patch does install something, although I'm not sure exactly what. Uninstalling it will immediately bring back the fake serial annoyance even if you don't touch idman.exe. Of course I could send you my copy of that file, but according to my tests without the patch it's useless. I see no reason to be afraid of the patch. Neither Malwarebytes nor Windows Defender have brought up a red flag and my system runs perfectly. I'd love not having to install this patch, but so far it's the only thing that actually works.

Copies of this and all other copies of IDM can be found on your favorite torrent site.

If you're into testing stuff and/or want to play it real safe, I recommend installing VirtualBox and running an old copy of Windows under a virtual machine. You can safely test anything because the VM runs in a sandbox. If the VM gets destroyed by malware, no problem - simply restore the most recent snapshot and the test you conducted never happened. This is what I do and it's great, I'll walk you though it if you want.
@humbert and @MikeTheBoy
Try running Adwcleaner.

June 19, 2017, 11:34 PM
Reply #211
  • Global Moderator
Try running Adwcleaner.

Honestly I don't think it's necessary. This thing continues running well and I'm not seeing any trouble anywhere.

June 20, 2017, 01:53 AM
Reply #212
  • Global Moderator
Try running Adwcleaner.

Honestly I don't think it's necessary. This thing continues running well and I'm not seeing any trouble anywhere.
Did you buy Pascal GPUs? Thinking of Ryzen CPUs for next upgrade?

June 21, 2017, 11:17 PM
Reply #213
  • Global Moderator

With respect to Pascal, I went into NVidia's web site for some more information. I'm not too sure if this is an AI device or a new GPU architecture for the video cards. Regarding Ryzen, the tests and reviews out so far are giving it some very high marks. As I'm sure you know by now, Intel is fighting back with it Core i9 family of processors. Isn't competition a wonderful thing?

What will I get when my i7-4790K and GTX-970 gets old? It depends on what's on the market and, of course, how much I can afford.  :)

June 22, 2017, 12:44 AM
Reply #214
  • Global Moderator

With respect to Pascal, I went into NVidia's web site for some more information. I'm not too sure if this is an AI device or a new GPU architecture for the video cards. Regarding Ryzen, the tests and reviews out so far are giving it some very high marks. As I'm sure you know by now, Intel is fighting back with it Core i9 family of processors. Isn't competition a wonderful thing?

What will I get when my i7-4790K and GTX-970 gets old? It depends on what's on the market and, of course, how much I can afford.  :)
I don't think your hardware is too old or ancient. I actually used the Nvidia codename for 10 series GPU. Stick with 4790K for now, because latest ones( dubbed the i9) are crippled by Intel since they're fighting with AMD. GTX 970 can do VR and run most demanding things. Hell, its better than my 980M. Did you know that you can replace your laptop and desktop with DTR laptop from Clevo?

June 22, 2017, 12:20 PM
Reply #215
@humbert and @MikeTheBoy
Try running Adwcleaner.

I ran all the stuff suggested at Bleeping Computer to remove PC Clean Plus (more than once):
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-pc-clean-plus

- RKill
 - Zemana
 - AdwCleaner
 - HitmanPro

So far, so good.

June 22, 2017, 08:34 PM
Reply #216
  • Global Moderator
I don't think your hardware is too old or ancient. I actually used the Nvidia codename for 10 series GPU. Stick with 4790K for now, because latest ones( dubbed the i9) are crippled by Intel since they're fighting with AMD. GTX 970 can do VR and run most demanding things. Hell, its better than my 980M. Did you know that you can replace your laptop and desktop with DTR laptop from Clevo?

Notice that in my post I said I'll see what's available when it's time to update. It's not time yet, my hardware is still OK. Also, the notion that Intel would cripple the i9 makes no sense given that fact that now with the Ryzen they're facing the first real competitive threat in several years. You can bet borrowed money they'll do everything possible to stay at the top of the heap.

I was seeing the specs on the Clevo. Great machine if you've got a minimum of $2255 to spare (that's the cheapest one). A top-of-the-line desktop you assemble yourself is probably 40% of that. Besides, remember that a laptop is still a laptop. In my opinion, portability is it's only advantage. I'd much prefer to sit at my comfortably at my desk in front of my 28" 4K monitor than carry this thing around.

June 23, 2017, 08:06 AM
Reply #217
  • Global Moderator

Notice that in my post I said I'll see what's available when it's time to update. It's not time yet, my hardware is still OK. Also, the notion that Intel would cripple the i9 makes no sense given that fact that now with the Ryzen they're facing the first real competitive threat in several years. You can bet borrowed money they'll do everything possible to stay at the top of the heap.

I was seeing the specs on the Clevo. Great machine if you've got a minimum of $2255 to spare (that's the cheapest one). A top-of-the-line desktop you assemble yourself is probably 40% of that. Besides, remember that a laptop is still a laptop. In my opinion, portability is it's only advantage. I'd much prefer to sit at my comfortably at my desk in front of my 28" 4K monitor than carry this thing around.
yeah clevo's are expensive yet you get desktop CPU & GPU performance.

June 23, 2017, 07:53 PM
Reply #218
  • Global Moderator
Personally I see no reason to use a laptop unless you absolutely need portability. Desktops are more convenient, comfortable to use, cheaper and much more configurable.

Returning to CPU's, I was reading that AMD is about to release the Ryzen 9 (a.k.a., Threadripper). This beast will have 16 cores, 32 threads. Clock speed is unknown at this time. It has 44 PCIe lanes, quad-channel RAM support on the X390 or X399 chipset, and runs on the SP3 socket with 4,094 pins. For starters this will go head to head against Intel's Core i7-6950X, and later against the i9. All the more reason Intel is in no position to cripple the i9.

Before I forget - the only way to take full advantage of these hi-end CPU's is to run Windows 10. MS has confirmed it will NOT write drivers and/or other software for these new CPU's for Windows 8.11 or older. So if you manage to get yourself one of these beasts, don't even dream of not upgrading to W10. I'm saying this because once a guy on our forum bought himself a top-of-the-line Core i7 with 16 GB of RAM - and installed XP on his new system because it's "what he knows"  :o. He then complained his new system only reported 2.9 GB free RAM. Go figure!

June 24, 2017, 08:49 AM
Reply #219
  • Global Moderator
@Humbert: I'm slowly transitioning myself into OC enthusiast league. Did break some records on HWBOT (v56m) with 6700 HQ CPU. With GTX 980 i need some tweaking and needs some years so that OS can take advantage of it.
If you see Intel Lineup core i9, there is less PCIe lanes, expensive and no backward compatibility for future Cannon Lake pin to pin compatibility. With SW tweaks Intel will pull ahead for sometime eventually people will buy AMD even if its 1-5 pts behind Intel in some benchmark, because in real world there is no difference at all. $5000 for Intel high end versus $3000 for AMD high end.
There is a hack that will deliver updates and microcode patches to new Intel Kaby and AMD Ryzen for w7 and 8.1.