Maher's Digital World

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Offline scarface

Re: What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2019, 04:26 PM »
You can make pretty good blue-cheese dip for crisps/chips. Depending on which word you prefer.
Chips is the French word, and if I'm not mistaken it's better to use crisp in English.
In my opinion it's a shame to put some cheese on some crisps. You can eat it with some bread, but using it with crisps is almost a blasphemy.
Ultra processed foods contain hydrogenated vegetable fats, from margarine to sweets, deep-fried foods, stock cubes and crisps. What's more, Eating highly-processed foods such as ready meals, cereals and crisps, raises your risk of a heart attack or stroke as scientists call for public health action: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/15/ultraprocessed_foods_linked_to_cancer_caution/

Now, look at the picture below.

Maybe you know this kind of cheese. For Maher and usman, these 2 Crottins hold probably no secret.

The true Crottin is produced from the raw milk of an alpine breed of goat easily recognized by it brown thick coat.
This is one of the rare cheese that can be eaten at different stages of maturity, for example when the cheese continues to mature after 6 weeks the rind becomes rough and hard over time.
Fresh, it has a creamy, nutty taste. Later on in the maturing process it acquires a pronounced flavour.
As the cheese continues to mature, the robust taste increases, but is never sour. Fresh from the cheese vat, it is often eaten clothed in fine herbs and at this stage in the maturing process it has a creamy texture.
After about six weeks the smell is stronger and its pate becomes dry and brittle and has a harder texture.

Note that in French, the word crottin also means manure.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:57 PM by scarface »

Offline scarface

« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2019, 05:09 PM »
To Shadow.97: I was talking about ultra-processed foods because there is now evidence it can increase the risk of cancer. In the US, many suffer from an epidemic of food-related diseases, such as obesity. Unfortunately in our societies, we don't eat enough vegetables and fruits any more.
I told humbert my father died of lung cancer. And yet he quit smoking decades ago. I found a topic on a French forum where somebody died under eerily similar circumstances, with the same timing: http://forum.doctissimo.fr/sante/cancers/cancer-poumon-foudroyant-sujet_158550_1.htm

Offline humbert

« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2019, 08:45 PM »
In the US, many suffer from an epidemic of food-related diseases, such as obesity. Unfortunately in our societies, we don't eat enough vegetables and fruits any more.

The problem is junk food is ubiquitous and people gobble it up left and right. Here in the USA it's notorious and quickly spreading outside the country. Many people may hate America, but they copy everything the Americans do.

I told humbert my father died of lung cancer. And yet he quit smoking decades ago. I found a topic on a French forum where somebody died under eerily similar circumstances

The simple fact that someone dies of lung cancer doesn't necessarily mean they smoke, or used to. Smoking exacerbates lung cancer but is by no means the only cause.

Offline scarface

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2019, 02:15 PM »
Tonight, I'm going to show you another cheese.

Look carefully at the picture below. What you see is exceptional indeed.
shadow.97 must be wondering if it is a piece of Gouda, while aa1234779 must be thinking it's a large chunk of Emmental.

Actually, what you see in an old Cantal.
One of the oldest cheeses in France,Cantal dates back to the times of the Gauls. It came to prominence when Marshal Henri de La Ferté-Senneterre served it at the table of Louis XIV.
Cantal is made from cow's milk and is aged for several months. The form is massive, and the cheese has a soft interior. Its flavor, which is somewhat reminiscent of Cheddar, is a strong, tangy butter taste and grows with age. A well ripened Cantal has a vigorous taste, while a young cheese has the sweetness of raw milk.

You can eat it with some good bread along with wine. For example you can choose a bottle of Boulaouane. This is the last wine that I drank with my father in a restaurant and I remember it's an excellent wine for a decent price.
If by any chance you are drinking some boulaouane, you'll tell me what you think of this wine.